PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Ubisoft throwing in the towel on AAA full priced games

Post by lestat »

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... lay-games/
“In line with the evolution of our high-quality line-up that is increasingly diverse, we are moving on from our prior comment regarding releasing 3-4 premium AAAs per year,” said Ubisoft’s chief financial officer Frederick Duguet.

“It is indeed no longer a proper indication of our value creation dynamics. For example, our expectation for Just Dance and Riders Republic are consistent with some of the industry’s AAA performers.

“Additionally, we are building high-end free-to-play games to be trending towards AAA ambitions over the long-term,” he added
Disappointing news, ubisoft were one of the few publishers left that produced a lot of AAA content, looks like we're going all in on the subscription/f2p future now. Activision recently repurposed the rest of their internal studios to support Warzone, I wouldn't be surprised to see battlefield 6 being F2P in some capacity.

Looks like we'll need to lean on platform holders for AAA single player stuff going forward.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Ubisoft throwing in the towel on AAA full priced games

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I can't be too upset as live service games are among my most played. They often work for my limited gaming schedule these days.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I thought they already had. Long ago.

Just looked through their release list. Mario Rabbids in 2017. It was a fine dumbed down Xcom. When you get Nintendos blessing to make a Mario game, you don't fuck up.
I didn't mind Steep. I never bought it though. I think I got it on PS+ maybe. Quite an enjoyable snow sports experience.
Before that, Assassins Creed Syndicate (2015 lol) was quite good. Loved the London setting.

Beyond Sony and Nintendo, gaming is pretty much dead at this point. Hence buying a Super Console X Pro.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

They had AC/Watchdogs/Immortals release recently, I think watchdogs and immortals underperformed. The thing for ubisoft is they've never had a good track record with free to play games, their last attempt at battle royale(hyperscape) was a complete flop. So it's going to be interesting to see how this new strategy works out for them.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

AAA games are a massive risk, not just in financing the game but all the media and advertising behind especially when it gets to the point of no return. It just seems like it's no longer viable unless the game has that fanbase (Naughty Dog, From Software, Capcom or Bungie etc).

I'd like to play the new Watchdogs since it's based in London, but I'd never buy it.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

lestat wrote: 14 May 2021 07:08 am They had AC/Watchdogs/Immortals release recently, I think watchdogs and immortals underperformed. The thing for ubisoft is they've never had a good track record with free to play games, their last attempt at battle royale(hyperscape) was a complete flop. So it's going to be interesting to see how this new strategy works out for them.
Ghost Recon too. Which bombed badly and caused a massive rethink in the design of their games and delays to Watchdogs etc.

I enjoy Ubisoft games. I get the criticism they get, but I still enjoy them. Far Cry 6 looks great.

I thought it was madness to release AC/Watchdogs/Immortals within months of each other. Not surprised at least one of them ended up tanking. Hopefully this means their big guns are spread out more reasonably. This is encouraging:
Following the publication of this article, Ubisoft reached out to offer an additional clarifying statement on yesterday's call:

“Our intention is to deliver a diverse line-up of games that players will love - across all platforms," the statement reads. "We are excited to be investing more in free-to-play experiences, however we want to clarify that this does not mean reducing our AAA offering.

"Our aim is to continue to deliver premium experiences to players such as Far Cry 6, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Riders Republic and Skull & Bones to name a few while also expanding our free-to-play portfolio and strengthening our brands to reach even more players.”
https://www.ign.com/articles/ubisoft-sa ... ually-mean
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

It was a botched launch but Breakpoint turned it around. They've added tonnes of features and well received DLC. AI squad is now in the game. You can switch off/toggle the looter shooter mechanics (Immersion Mode). Ubisoft announced ongoing new content throughout 2021.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I don't mind Ubisoft games (Division and Division 2 are probably my most played games ever) but the biggest issue I've found are the buggy releases that require at least a month or so of patches to repair (Valhalla springs immediately to mind) and lack of originality in sequels. I really enjoyed AC Origins but Odyssey felt like a reskin of the same game. Same again with Farcry 3 - Farcry 4, Primal and Farcry 5 were basically the same game. Ghost Recon - massive game but always the same point to point gameplay with nothing in between - it reminded me of an all you can eat buffet. Looks good but always the same flavour. Immortals was actually a great concept. I played the first few hours before my subscription ended, will pick it up at some point. I think Ubisoft have seen the success of Siege and will just try recreate that - endless title updates and operators that cost $5 to unlock.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

What's your Uplay ID, Rors? I've been playing Division 1 as a precursor to 2 and have been having a blast these past evenings. Solo only as i) I have no friends and ii) I'm loathe to group with randoms as a dad with young kids. I'm up to the last campaign mission I think and am on the verge of having fully upgraded my home base. The LMB faction I've encountered from level 25 or so on are fun to fight. Aggressive, flanking AI and they hit hard. I'm getting purple drops now so have some decent weapons to melt them. I'll roll my first Div 2 character in the next couple of days I estimate.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Hit me up then, can run you through Division 2. I've clocked 187 hours in it now - OsakaDave is my Ubisoft UserID. It's a shame, I think it's getting one more update this year and then it's end life.

Edit - Just checked, you're already in my list. I'm on most nights, just ping the Discord
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

this is truly a dark timeline.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Will only get darker. Most days it feels like all the Black Mirror episodes come to life.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Updating my Div 2 posts in the Watch Dogs thread. Further to the freezes I was getting after running my first 25 hours with the game without issue, I loaded up easyanticheat_setup.exe in the Easy Anti Cheat directory off my Div 2 directory and there's a repair button which uninstalls and reinstalls the service. Previously I had a 3.5hr freeze-free session after stopping the Easy Anti Cheat service. After the repair I left the service running and had another 3hr freeze-free session last night.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

And I froze again last night after three hours. That’s with the service running. Will run subsequent sessions with it stopped now.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Far Cry 6 reveal:

https://www.ign.com/articles/far-cry-6-first-preview

Coming October.

To the Ubisoft and Epic Stores. I have ~$80 worth of birthday vouchers sitting in my Steam account put aside for this. FML.

Oh well, but the time I wrap up 5 (final mission is unlocked) and New Dawn (have yet to start) it should be on Steam :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

New Dawn was such a pleasant surprise for me. I loved it.

I want to replay FC5 on the unlocked extra hard difficulty before 6.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Do it. I'm an easy mode kind of guy, but I adore how well FC5 plays in extra hard mode with New Game+
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Another big Breakpoint update has just landed.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Ubisofts new game Riders Republic is phenomenal. One of their best games ever made. Addictive open world extreme sports game. The online mass races of 64 players is chaotic fun.

Also good to see more cross platform gaming is becoming the norm. So easily to play with mates with chat on different consoles. Back for blood and now this.....good stuff for us gamers
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Iis it like a modern take on that ESPN Extreme that was on PSone with luge and bikes n shit?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Far Cry creative boss Dan Hay (behind Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon) leaves Ubisoft.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... t-ubisoft/