Zombie Sega Saturn Thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Zombie Sega Saturn Thread

Post by BOOMY »

Well folks, hell is full up again. So when PN died this thread ended up over here in zombie form. Getting to the point....

I bought BUG! 2nd hand, $15 for saturn today. I am yet to play it but I am really excited to as its a 2d platformer from the days of 'not needing a 32 bit system to play DKC and KI'. Be good to play VF2, virtua on and sega rally again when I get my saturn out too.

Also just letting it known this'll prolly be the location for my saturn ramblings from know on so feel free to rehash some 15 fps daytona or nights sequel discussion to get things rolling.
Pat

Re: Zombie Sega Saturn Thread

Post by Pat »

BOOMY wrote:nights sequel discussion
:(

I wish!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

bug impressions?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

bug was a game I never played, nor knew how it looked. I'm not sure why...

And for some reason I've never played Fighters Megamix. I remember wanting that game soooo badly when it came out. And I own the jap version of the game dammit!
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

Back in Sega Saturn daze, my brother brought me Bug!

I cant remember much about it because I didn't play it much. Too busy trying to shave off milliseconds from my Sega Rally dessert track personal record.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Mentioning Bug! reminded me of Sonic X-treme

Just in case somebody hasn't seen it, this is a video of a 3D sonic game that was going to come out on the Sega Saturn. Sega cancelled it :x

Sonic X-treme
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

fuck, i've never seen that before...

why was it cancelled?
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

There is a Panzer Dragon Saga on Ebay Australia! I am tepted to get it, but with most companies re-releasing their back catalouge, I don't think it is worth it...
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

jahooley wrote:fuck, i've never seen that before...

why was it cancelled?
Developers were working on 3 different versions of a true 3D Sonic platform game. No unity. Development of the game(s) was slow and influential people at Sega were pissed off. Main developer got sick (Chris Senn) and time ran, they pulled the plug. Sega focused their efforts on Nights.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200403/200403-xtreme.shtml

Some images:

Last edited by Misly on 04 Sep 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I had bug, finished it, found it fun, looked good at the time.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Misly wrote:I cant remember much about it because I didn't play it much. Too busy trying to shave off milliseconds from my Sega Rally dessert track personal record.
What was your record? Mine's 52.96s in a celica on desert, stock standard car (automatic). Fark I spent a lot of time in Time Attack on that game.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Madmya wrote:
Misly wrote:I cant remember much about it because I didn't play it much. Too busy trying to shave off milliseconds from my Sega Rally dessert track personal record.
What was your record? Mine's 52.96s in a celica on desert, stock standard car (automatic). Fark I spent a lot of time in Time Attack on that game.
Well done on the 52.96

I honestly cant remember now, too many years ago. I used the Celica manual and I too spent alot of time playing that game. How fun were the jumps, I remember the third jump, it was best to flick the car ever so slightly sideways to the left so when you landed your car was in a better position to tackle the next corner.

I think that flick left thing was something stupid I did for timing purposes. Flick left, jump slightly sideways, land, flick right, then flick left taking the corner.

'easy left' 'easy right' ' long medium left'
Last edited by Misly on 11 Sep 2006 04:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Panzer Dragoon saga is AU $102.50 with 2 bids and 21h 44m left to go currently. Ive seen it go for $350, but it was a much higher price with more interested parties at the same point in the auction last time. So maybe you'll get lucky, keep an eye out for the last 10 mins and decide if its too much then.

Bug is cool fun, nice cartoony gfx with funny speech that isn't common enough to be annoying. The jump animation could use an extra frame or 2 but you dont notice after a while and the saturn 2d goodness comes alive as you progress to parts with alot of zooming. Considering this came out the same year as earthworm jim and donkey kong country it is fairly flat in comparison, but its by no means bad and has more 'cartoon vibrance' than most games of the era - its up against tough competition is all, EWJ being the single most visually/aurally entertaining and diverse game ever IMO.

The gameplay is simple as hell. collect some blue shit, use a powerup, find the bonus level, get to the end. Same kinda structure as EWJ, lion king, aladdin etc. but with alot less variety. You can really see why this is sega's 'away' team, be prepared for alot of repetition as things look mostly the same and you'll have quite a few 'fall off the cliff witht he checkpoint is in view' moments.

There are some cool bits in the game worth mentioning at the time, but all in all you've seen them before elsewhere so in forumspeak they wouldnt be too interesting. A solid but not excellent game that I would've played the shit out of back in the day but for the moment i need a bit of patience(its all very samey) as i learn the levels. As i've said before i am an advocate for this kind of game that requires skill to finish as you inch ever closer to the end each time you play, so I shouldnt be complaining.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Misly wrote:Mentioning Bug! reminded me of Sonic X-treme

Just in case somebody hasn't seen it, this is a video of a 3D sonic game that was going to come out on the Sega Saturn. Sega cancelled it :x

Sonic X-treme
That is the most beautiful Sonic game ever seen sinceSonic and Knuckles. The music was perfect too. :up:

:(
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

What was your record? Mine's 52.96s in a celica on desert, stock standard car (automatic)
53"99 in a celica[AT]. There's only a about a second I gotta shave off and beat your sorry arse :p
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

you should use that 'AM3's finest ghost car' trick to give you an idea of the best lines to take. I've only beaten it once...
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Looked what I stumbled upon, I had never seen this.

Its a youtube of the Saturn version of Shenmue. :shock: at the Saturn graphics. Looks great!
:rock:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

You don't have Shenmue 2?
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Madmya wrote:You don't have Shenmue 2?
Unfortunately not :(
:rock:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Does Shenmue have VGA support?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yes
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ooer, maybe I will get around to playing it after all..
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

If you use VGA for shenmue your save file can only be used in VGA.

i.e. you can't go back to playing it on tv and use the same save file.
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

You can, but only in 60Hz. So no loss really.

Shenmue II you can switch back and forth between 50Hz/60Hz/VGA.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

when's shenmue 3 coming spoonman? :(