Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Excellent Wii Footage - IGN Weekly

Post by GreyWizzard »

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 57122.html

This vid runs through several games and gives a very good look at how the games are actually controlled.

Fran mentions that he has played these games at different distances and does feel that he is too close to the TV. He has said he preferred 6-8 feet away for a better control feeling.

BW2 is going to be awesome online.

Mario Strikers looks fantastic. Bloom Lighting FTW!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Fishing in Zelda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLr9dgHjPQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that looks awful personally. I couldn't imagine anything less fun for something NOT meant to be a party game... something like Sega Bass Fishing at least had a reel that you could wind up, in this game you have to mime those motions, ugh. It'd be like playing Guitar Hero without the controller, i.e. shit.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I can see nothing wrong fishing in zelda, it was just like sega bass fishing.

Actually that vid made the fishing thing look even better. Thanks for the positive video mech.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I like the water effects.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

just watched that IGN vid grey, i'm not as impressed as yourself.

BW2 looked best of the lot but still isn't a game i'd buy, I don't like the idea of lock-on aiming in online games.

mario strikers doesn't really take advantage of the wiimote at all, other than shaking to smack your opponent it's just button presses.
The game itself looks like a poor sega soccer slam but it'll sell thanks to the nintendo characters.

redsteel controls like a old dog, turning is VERY slow and you could see that guy had troubles aiming, I saw a lot of auto aim which suggests they are compensating for the bad accuracy.
looks like a crap game too.

and the orchestra game is gimmick city, who the fuck would want to sit on their couch and play that?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Mario Strikers is made by the same devs as Sega Soccer Slam.
Pat

Post by Pat »

And just finished watching it then. Jizz, the orchestra game isnt going to be a standalone product, looks more like a Wii sports minigame, along with the skeet shooting, golf and tennis games. I reckon there's potential there for a great party game of sorts - like Donkey Konga.

Red Steel aiming needs a bit of a workover though, like he said the aiming needs to be calibrated according to distance from the screen. The graphics look a bit better than a few months ago though.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

BW2 - looks alright to me. apart from the few moments when he was using the chopper....that being a lot more agile up in the air with more freeform showed a tad lack of accuracy in the wiimote

Mario Strikers = FUN. it's a soccer game FFS, it shouldn't have to use the full potential of the wiimote....but defending the goal as the keeper does use that aspect.

Red Steel - a bit hard with this one. he says at 6ft. it's really touchy. i think you would wanna be closer than that. may have something to do with why i didn't find the sword fighting that impressive...

also : i'm yet to finish watching the damn thing... :roll:
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

done, finally.

apart from that orchestra shit, the wii sports/mini games look really refined. impressed with golf and baseball. not the sort of games that require time and depth though.... the sort of thing you show your 10 year old cousins when they come round for christmas
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Basically I felt the video has given us our best look at the Wii so far.

Fran has been known to be a bit of a ninty fanboy, he has been writing Nintendo articles since the N64 days, so he may have some biased towards the system.

From what we saw the only games that seemed to require exaggerated motions were the wii sports and music games. Games which I will probably be avoiding myself.

You could see from BW2 that it only required minor movements to get the job done and it did seem to control quite well.

Since none of us have actually used the deivce ourselves I find this vid pretty useful as it shows hand movement and action on screen at the same time.

Little bit of self gloating, hopefully if the lines aren't too long at TGS this year, I'll be able to tell you how the system plays myself.
mech

Post by mech »

jahooley wrote:done, finally.

apart from that orchestra shit, the wii sports/mini games look really refined. impressed with golf and baseball. not the sort of games that require time and depth though.... the sort of thing you show your 10 year old cousins when they come round for christmas
I could be proven otherwise, but so far I'm thinking my Wii will make an awesome party machine (with Tennis, etc), but for "real" gaming I'll be playing my 360 and PS3.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

FISH ON!

i actually liked the fishing video
it's funny how the same video can have negative people seeing the negative, and other seeing the positives
i don't see anything wrong with using my imagination to have fun

to be fair, there was a definite lag between the guy's movements and the actual casting off - i wonder what it's like to actually play?

the first video hates me, i'll try it later
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:
I could be proven otherwise, but so far I'm thinking my Wii will make an awesome party machine (with Tennis, etc), but for "real" gaming I'll be playing my 360 and PS3.
And hopefully that party machine style gaming is fun, because it will hopefully make a nice diversion from 'serious' games. Although I'm also hopefull for some solid classical gameplay from Mario Galaxy and the like.
mech

Post by mech »

Yep. Me too.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Also, I just want to say, by naming this excellent wii footage, I wasn't implying all the games in this footage are excellent, I meant the video was a real good look at how the games played and how the control was used.

Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.
Last edited by GreyWizzard on 05 Sep 2006 02:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

now I don't understand, or did you mean wasn't implying?
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Sorry for not clearing this up on GW's behalf, but looking after Candy Arse is a full time job. Stupid me agreeing to work on a salary instead of being paid by the hour.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

lol, fuck... I wasn't.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

cool... confusion eliminated :D
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

24 minutes later, and what was almost a certain purchase decision for me is in tatters.

All of those games looked like shit. Absolute shit. Gamecube Turbo indeed. What about all the pop-up in the first military game? Red Steel = Confirmed turd.

Wii60? Reggie was right. I'd rather just buy three more xbox360 games.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Elf, you play an N64-quality graphics game with orcs - dont go knocking a Samecube game for graphics :D
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Wii Orchestra was the only interesting thing on that whole video. What a bunch of uninspired crap stuck with last gen technology. WOW A NEW CONTROL METHOD. It's a shame they haven't got anything decent to demo it with.