Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The 360 hardware to me comes across as cheap now. The whole thing reeks of cut corners and I don't overly like it.
Welcome to console gaming. Every console bar the neogeo has had corners cut to meet the low cost required to sell volumes of consoles.

Honestly look what $650 buys you in the pc world, you can't even buy a top end single gpu card for that these days. Also graphically a lot of 360 games have no equal in the pc world, basically because of ineffeciencies in the windows directx layer and lowest common denominator problems in the pc market. Vista should pump some life back into the pc gaming market, but sadly these next gen consoles remove a lot of the need to bother with pc gaming to some extent.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The 360 is taking me back to the "good old days" as a C64 gamer where I'd have to pray that the tape drive would load the game up. In the 20 years spanning the two machines I've had what I'd call a golden run - flawless hardware that doesn't feel cheap on numerous levels.

Even the DC had the dignity to wait a while before dying in the arse, and the original Xbox felt like a far more solid machine across the board.

I forsee dire days on the horizon for console gamers as long as Sony and Microsoft are the dominant players.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Candy Arse wrote:A+ viral marketing/damage control.
It’s called having an alternative opinion :roll:

This is a videogame discussion board after all, where diverse views on many game related topics would be expected, so get used it. If you want to post within a forum where everybody possesses an identical view on gaming, go visit you WOW buddies over at PlayNOW!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You're not diverse though, you're a one-trick pony for Nintendo.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Rocco wrote:Image
no leaflets on the wii. nintendo is doomed!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Candy Arse wrote:You're not diverse though, you're a one-trick pony for Nintendo.
Precisely, I’m an utter Nintendo fanboy, just like the countless other GR members who shall remain nameless (attacking other individual members from out of nowhere is more your style), who are also fanboys for a particular system, say the 360 or PSP or a hardware brand in general, like Sony.

Maybe there are also viral marketers for Microsoft and Sony roaming the GR forums (some you are buddy-buddy with :wink:)...quick Candy, got to catch us all! :up:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Candy Arse wrote:No doubt there's a point there....I just can't see it.
Point being the eventual homogenisation of the Windows and XBox platforms, Live Anywhere and uniform gamer profiles and identities. MS have stated this themselves.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

You're right Pep, Silent Hill is a HUGE draw card for me in deciding which console to purchase. Symphony of the Night made the Xbox 360 a no-brainer, and Silent Hill, assuming it is a PS3 exclusive, will will no doubt put me in the position of buying the PS3. Damn Silent Hill's brilliant and deep story lines and scary gameplay! :D
I see your points with the wiimote, and i can definitely see where you're coming from. I can't imagine playing Zelda for 3+ hours in a day would be too comfortable, but i guess only time will tell how it really does feel to play... And Rocco, don't worry too much about what people say, just stick to your guns and keep pimping Nintendo. I'd love to see them back on top! It would be a good wake-up call to Sony and Microsoft.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Candy Arse wrote:The 360 is taking me back to the "good old days" as a C64 gamer where I'd have to pray that the tape drive would load the game up. In the 20 years spanning the two machines I've had what I'd call a golden run - flawless hardware that doesn't feel cheap on numerous levels.

Even the DC had the dignity to wait a while before dying in the arse, and the original Xbox felt like a far more solid machine across the board.

I forsee dire days on the horizon for console gamers as long as Sony and Microsoft are the dominant players.
hehe i loved C64 era. :) ironically my first DC died within a week and i went through 2 xbox1's before i got one i would call solid. So i've had a good run with the 360. Would i consider the xbox1 built cheaply because 2 died on me? No because the one i did get working has worked flawlessly for years. It's jus the luck of the draw and with new technology there are always going to be issues.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:Hahahaha, zing.

My 360 has been flawless so far... *touch wood*
Likewise. Never had to have a console replaced. Not even my Xbox with a thompson DVD drive :)

Still gets used today (for XBMC though).
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Had to replace my first Xbox after it wouldn't load PGR properly, but other than that, I've been lucky!

Oh, and my DC resetting problem, but that was due to touchy power connectors which I soon fixed myself.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I had 1 faulty DC near launch (glitched like a mofo on powerstone). Then the replacement went on for ages until the mandatory reset prob.

I had 4 failed launch PS2's due to shithouse DVD lenses eventually the only thing that saved that was the second revision.

I had my launch XBOX from the US that went great guns and I have now sold.

I replaced my original 360 within the first month due to Video Cable read problems, the machine ran fine and would always work on a reboot but why take the chance?

All other consoles I have owned have been flawless (never actually owned a PS1).

The main problem with consoles these days is the disc drive and that always seems to be luck of the draw. I'm very reluctant to touch a launch PS3 for this reason.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

I've never had console hardware problems, but I put this down to the rubber band modifications that I perform straight out of the box.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Rocco wrote:Pep, I dont really get what you are trying to say... :?
All I'm saying is I'm unconvinced wiimote control will be as fun, accurate and immersive as more conventional methods over the long term. Vision I've seen shows control can be laggy, awkward and imprecise. Examples are Zelda and Tennis.

I haven't closed my mind to it. If it releases and it's good then I won't not like it because I have/had reservations.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Front-loading NES died eventually. It probably still can work if I spend half an hour on compressive and percussive maintenance, but I have a top-loader that never fails, so why bother?

PAL SNES RF port died. But the AV port is good as gold (and uses the same cord as N64 and GC) so no big deal.
JP Super Famicom works fine.
US SNES currently in unknown status, as I removed the power socket (proprietary plug) so that I could replace it with a normal one. That was 6 months ago :D

N64 occasionally resets - I think it's to do with cartridge connections, because some games (Blast Corps) do it all the time, others are fine.

GC has a bad laser - killed by PSO (the data is all lumped on the disc in different places, such that the game is having to seek from outer to inner and soforth far too much).
2nd GC fine so far - but would no doubt die too if I continued to play PSO.

GB, GBP, GBC, GBA I guess still work, haven't used them in years.
GBA SP in bad nick, probably because I let it get beat up.
DS has booted to a blank white screen once.

Saturn is quite the dodgy - if you turn on the machine it's fine, you can use it for hours. But if you have it on for more than say, 15 minutes, and then turn it off and then on again, it gets nasty interference in the video output and won't boot. I figure it's got something to do with the power supply. But I bought it 2nd hand, from Cashies no less, so I don't hold Sega responsible.

DC - on my 3rd laser unit, and second mainboard. First laser unit iwas always dodgy but I didn't realise until later on. Second one was fine but eventually died. 3rd one seems ok so far.
Had one mainboard fail on me, too (just no longer output a video picture).
Flakey controller ports on my machine too, but I haven't got around to taking the ports from either of the other machines I've cannibalised for parts yet. Never had it reset-cast on me though. Crazy.

Xbox - I'm assuming it's a Thompson drive due to the problems I had (diagnosed using Twisted infamous Dead or Alive 3 endings test). Crashes occasionally. Makes a nasty crackling noise at the power point. Never bothered getting the power replacement from MS because it wouldn't have fixed the fault with the machine.

PSX - original PAL psx had a problem 11 months into ownership (barely covered by warranty). I think the laser unit locked up. Was sent to Sony, came back repaired/replaced, has worked fine ever since.
US PSX (modded) died due to a power-spike, but I was able to coax life out of it for years.
JP PSX has no problems.
US PSOne works flawlessly.

PS2 - modded pal ps2 has broken memory card slot 1 (broken by the mod ppl). Fault is on the mainboard so cannot be easily repaired. Laser was starting to go anyway.
Unmodded PAL and US slimline PS2s work fine.

So I guess I've not had the best of luck with videogames. :)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Seraph wrote:Xbox - I'm assuming it's a Thompson drive due to the problems I had (diagnosed using Twisted infamous Dead or Alive 3 endings test).
Heh. Thanks for the props. Nothing like that test to expose a faulty Thompson. :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat wrote:hehe i loved C64 era. :) ironically my first DC died within a week and i went through 2 xbox1's before i got one i would call solid. So i've had a good run with the 360. Would i consider the xbox1 built cheaply because 2 died on me? No because the one i did get working has worked flawlessly for years. It's jus the luck of the draw and with new technology there are always going to be issues.
Maybe my luck has run out. 360 has been the first console I've ever owned that has died in the arse so soon on me. I've had a DC kick the bucket after years of abuse, other than that it's been a great run from the mid 80s up until now.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'm not sure what to do about my 360.

I've had an ace run up until now,every console has lived through it's time without any problems.I did replace my first Xbox because the Thompson drive was getting questionable but this is the first console I've had that has actually had a problem.

In Saints Row I can't scroll through the menu,stop and then keep scrolling.If I stop on a menu option,I must go into it and then exit out or the console completely freezes.If I send it off I'm without a console for weeks...and if I keep it I'm risking freeze ups at least with SR...

Splinter Cell will be the thing that settles this for me I think.If it has any trouble with that,I'm sending it in.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

i'd send it in anyway.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Just looking at all my discs and they have a very very faint scratch on the inner portion of each disc.I've rung M$ and will be sending it off for repairs next week sometime.Goodbye Splinter Cell launch for Mister Gun :evil:

Man,I spent nearly an hour on the phone to 360 support.

M$ say they aren't able to do anything in relation to the damaged discs,but I don't think that's right.It wasn't me who scratched the discs,it was the console.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

How deep are the scratches? Can they be buffed out?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Very faint...they can be buffed out as far as I can see,not the point though.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Maybe you should get on the phone with one of the conusmer watchdogs (state or federal) and ask them where you stand on goods damaged by faulty equipment. If the state or federal law places MS at fault and responsible, they have no choice but to replace or reimburse.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I have recently got the dreaded 3 red lights of death. Go to call the 1800 number and it doesn't exist, cant connect....what the fuck!!!!
Pat

Post by Pat »

guttermouth wrote:I have recently got the dreaded 3 red lights of death. Go to call the 1800 number and it doesn't exist, cant connect....what the fuck!!!!
Fuck indeed. What happened exactly, how much have you been playing it? First fuckup or not? I'm getting increasingly paranoid that as we get closer to one year since launch that a few more might break down as second gen games start pushing the hardware (third core lol) more. Some of these games might trigure faults that could never have been uncovered in a launch machine and you'll be S.O.L when the 12 months is up.

Ive never had a problem with a console, except for an 8 year old Amiga 500 that slowly died after years of valued service. RIP ol' buddy. :(

As for the phone number, look up XBox in the phonebook if all else fails.