No monthly fees for PSU (360, PS2+PC owners pay up)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Yep, they just lost any chance of me buying it. Good job SEGA. :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yep I'm out, not paying a monthly fee. Especially with so many other great games coming out end of the year.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

:cry:
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

It's sega's game, I dont see why you would think you wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to play on REAL servers owned by another company.

Remember, you may pay for xbox msnlive matchmaking service but just because you pay a stupid amount for it don't think you're entitled to any real serv(ice)ers. Sometimes you just gotta pay if you want that horse armor, knowwhadimsayin :lol:

In MS's defence they do need to make up for losses on thier console's sold so I understand why they charge for xbox live.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

I'm paying whatever they want because I'm a crack addict.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

I'll pay it if they run real servers instead of matchmaking, crack down on cheaters and griefers, and allow for PC and PS2 to be linked in all regions with each other.

I'll most likely buy the game anyways, since it has a 40-hour or whatever long offline "story mode", but after seeing how PSO was looked after from DC to BB, I'm not holding out much hope.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yep Arthus because I pay a subscription for live, i don't feel like paying another toll to play online.

Like seraph mentioned too, from my memory of pso, it was largely peer to peer, you just were on a server in the cities. Kinda guild wars like. Guild wars is free, psu should be free too imo.

Seraph since the 360 has yet to be hacked/cracked the chances of cheating are greatly reduced. On pc/ps2 since those platforms are open to hacking it may suffer the same issues as pso's in the past.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Incorrect. As I mentioned on page 1, the most powerful hacking and griefing tools used for PSO were PC ultitilities and programs designed to set up proxy masks and perform packet editing. The Xbox 360 is just as susceptible as the DC, PC or GC have been in the past.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Games on live use encryption on the packets. You just can't snoop packets and inject data into them. There is no way to know what the keys are being used in the encryption, especially when the system itself is still locked down. There are also session tokens, keys that are used. I'm not sure of the exact details but it has yet to be broken.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Whether it's been broken yet isn't really of any significance, ultimately. Peer-to-peer is inherently vulnerable. Whether the hole is via unsigned code being run through a modded machine, cracking the packet encryption, an "Action Replay" like device, or some other way, there are just so many ways in which the system can be exploited.

The best protection from cheating and griefing is with dedicated servers doing the work. When the server saves the character data, client-side editing does nothing. When the server makes the decisions, the client can't alter them. When the server decides what data goes to each client, the client can't modify their end to cause grief for the other clients.

Sega's track record on peer-to-peer on Xbox, GC, DC and PC so far has been terrible, and for me, only a move away from peer-to-peer and into server-based connections will have enough inherent security to deter cheats and make the game enjoyable.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I understand your concern and ms have the same concern too with respect to the live system. That's why they've included encryption and all sorts of checks/authentication in place to stop hacking. As long as the 360 machine doesn't get hacked(DVD hack doesn't count because the hack doesn't allow unsigned code to run and has no access to the 360 os/system) cheating and hacking should be next to non exsistant.

So far on 360 live i haven't come across any cheaters, except for halo2, but that's only due to the fact the original xbox was hacked. So as long as the 360 can't run unsigned code, 360 games are largely safe from hackers. Also that's another reason why action replay for 360 will never exsist.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

PSU is far more server based than PSO was.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Talez wrote:I'm paying whatever they want because I'm a crack addict.
Me too. I can't say no to this game.