PS3 Delayed until March 07 (Europe)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:i) PS2. Sony customers are assured of a slew of top new releases to hold them over until the new system launches. ii) Software support. MS will have more games at the time having been out for over a year prior but across the board MS are not as strong as Sony regarding software support.
Given a year headstart worldwide, MS will have a lot larger userbase and be in better position for software then previous times.

They've already got GTA4 as multi platform from day one. And this Xmas will have Europe as the only next-gen console with Fifa and Pro Evo.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:
Jizzy McLobber wrote:anyway my point was they at least tried to give everyone the system around the same time, they didn't give out dates willy nilly like sony did and that's why they shouldn't be compared

comments like "yeah but the same thing happened with xbox 360".
They still managed to delay our already delayed launch.

They claimed a global launch and then when they announced dates suddenly we were next year.

It is a VERY similar situation.
We were never part of a 2005 launch though. It was never announced, nor advertised as such.

It's not even close. Shops have pre-orders for Nov 17 2006.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

WTF? Am I not realising something here? Am I imagining all the threads and posts articulating disappointment during pre-360 launch about MS's slipped 360 launch date? Due to manufacturing shortages?
Pat

Post by Pat »

That was the delay from March 2 to March 23, Pep.
Last edited by Pat on 07 Sep 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Xbox UK boss Neil Thompson has told GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is not surprised Sony has "backed away" from its commitment to a global launch for PlayStation 3.

"We know how challenging it is to pull off a global launch, so it's not surprising that Sony has backed away from their previously announced launch plan, due to the unproven technology they are trying to pack in to their console," he said.

"Europe remains a priority for us. That is why gamers have been able to experience Xbox 360 from day one, and why we're confident we're going to have a great Christmas - regardless of what competitors are or are not in the market," he stated.

Thompson went on to observe that Xbox 360 owners will have more than 160 software titles to choose from, with the likes of Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and FIFA 2007 due out in time for Christmas.
Link
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

WTF? Have you guys completely forgotten MS going on and on about how they were having a worldwide launch? Even AFTER they announced the crappy launch dates for Australia they still claimed to be having a worldwide launch, AND after delaying it in Australia they had to delay it yet again!

Anyway, read the Joystiq thing I quoted, Pep's right, people aren't even going to remember this when the console's out, I certainly don't feel like I missed out because I didn't have my 360 in 2005.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:WTF? Am I not realising something here? Am I imagining all the threads and posts articulating disappointment during pre-360 launch about MS's slipped 360 launch date? Due to manufacturing shortages?
MS slipped launch date was by like around a month.

Sony has slipped 4 months.

MS had no competition at the time, so it was barely going to hurt them.

Sony will have 2 other next-gen rivals to pick up the slack.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

That was the delay from Feb 22 to March 23, Pep.
Yes and people around were pissed. Lets face it, if you preordered, you were probably hyped about getting a ps3 and enjoying the holiday season with your new toy. It's ok to vent and be pissed sony fans.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:WTF? Have you guys completely forgotten MS going on and on about how they were having a worldwide launch? Even AFTER they announced the crappy launch dates for Australia they still claimed to be having a worldwide launch, AND after delaying it in Australia they had to delay it yet again!

Anyway, read the Joystiq thing I quoted, Pep's right, people aren't even going to remember this when the console's out, I certainly don't feel like I missed out because I didn't have my 360 in 2005.
Where is the advertising suggesting a November 2005 launch date for Australia? The first date we ever got was for this year. It was only delayed once... and by less then a month.

Their definition of worldwide launch was US/JAP/UK. It's technically wrong, but they never outright said we were getting it here. Not like Sony did. :wink:
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:WTF? Have you guys completely forgotten MS going on and on about how they were having a worldwide launch? Even AFTER they announced the crappy launch dates for Australia they still claimed to be having a worldwide launch, AND after delaying it in Australia they had to delay it yet again!

No, we havent forgotten, you just have your facts wrong.

MS announced 'worldwide launch' for Europe, Japan and NA. They never included Australia in that, they just had a fucked definition of worldwide.

MS then announced a March 2 launch date and delayed that until March 23 (announced mid February) citing supply shortages.

Sony announced November 17 for North America, Japan, Europe and Australasia in May this year, with about 3 million units for day 1. Then changed it yesterday.

I have my facts straight mech.
mech

Post by mech »

Yes it is different in that Sony actually announced this year but pushed it back till next year, but it's very similar, I'm not saying it's an identical situation - just comparable. No need to get your knickers in a knot Xbots.

Anyway, the delay doesn't worry me at all for various reasons already mentioned, but then I'm not a Sony fanboy and will have plenty of other consoles to keep me happy. I think only lambchop would be truly disappointed.

Pat:
MS announced 'worldwide launch' for Europe, Japan and NA. They never included Australia in that, they just had a fucked definition of worldwide.
Christ dude, I said that in my post. Don't try to correct me on something I haven't gotten wrong, I was already saying that MS had a fucked definition of worldwide launch.
MS then announced a March 2 launch date and delayed that until March 23 (announced mid February) citing supply shortages.

Sony announced November 17 for North America, Japan, Europe and Australasia in May this year, with about 3 million units for day 1. Then changed it yesterday.
I know.
Last edited by mech on 07 Sep 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote: I think only lambchop would be truly disappointed.
Then go to GAF. The thread is hilarious :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

As lamby would put it, 360/wii generation. :rock:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Does anyone want to take a bet on a second delay from March to, oh I dunno, September?

I can easily see a (successful) PS3 launch - ie high, persistent demand) leading to a long delay for us as they struggle to meet demand in Jp, NA and EU.
mech

Post by mech »

mxlegend99 wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say of the people on PlayNOW/Games-Ranch.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Pat wrote:Does anyone want to take a bet on a second delay from March to, oh I dunno, September?

I can easily see a (successful) PS3 launch - ie high, persistent demand) leading to a long delay for us as they struggle to meet demand in Jp, NA and EU.
Well they fucked us over with the psp launch with a massive delay between us launch and europe launch. If they can only make 250k diodes a month like i said before, there is no way they'll be able to make enough units to feed a europe launch.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Pat wrote:Does anyone want to take a bet on a second delay from March to, oh I dunno, September?

I was hoping the TAB would take bets on another delay. I reckon we will be July/August next year.

And to think Sony fanboys bagged MS out for sticking with DVD. That turned out to be the best decision ever :up:
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech: I wasnt correcting you (necessarily), merely summing up what I understand/remember as the sequence of events.

As a formerly hyped XBot, for what it's worth, I certainly dont forget being annoyed at having to wait 3 more weeks.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:
mxlegend99 wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say of the people on PlayNOW/Games-Ranch.
I know. I just think that the thread is fucking hilarious. The photshops are awesome :up:
mech

Post by mech »

lestat, those diode production numbers are hardly going to stay static.
mech

Post by mech »

Pat wrote:mech: I wasnt correcting you (necessarily), merely summing up what I understand/remember as the sequence of events.

As a formerly hyped XBot, for what it's worth, I certainly dont forget being annoyed at having to wait 3 more weeks.
That delay was probably more annoying because A) it was unexpected and B) it was JUST before it was due to launch, not 2 and a half months ahead.

Edit: oh and we didn't have C) a sweet next-gen console already in our living rooms to keep us busy in the mean-time :)
Pat

Post by Pat »

That is true, on all counts.

Personally, Im none too bothered either way since I have no intention of getting a PS3 until theyre sub-600 or so, if at all (at this stage). I'm just not convinced it's that much better than 360.

And besides - its funny laughing at Ken K's lies time and time again. :D
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

LOL. I'm only 20 pages into the GAF thread.

edit

A nicer version of this:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I find it interesting how those who pre-ordered aren't fussed about this delay, I think that's an indication of how unexciting the launch lineup is.

Yes it sure helps if you have a 360 too :)
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »