PS3 Delayed until March 07 (Europe)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

mech wrote:Anyway, talk like "Sony are seriously fucked. MS and Nintendo must think this is a wet dream or something." is incredibly premature and ridiculous.
Yeah but it helps the 4 of us actually waiting for a PS3 feel better :D
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Why? Who is going to wait an extra 4 months, pay $1,000 for a console when they can get the Wii and 360 this christmas for a lot less?

Sony have seriously proven the haters right. Make lots of empty promises. Fail to deliver big time with the hardware. Then completely miss launch in the majority of countries.

This can only hurt Sony. Not saying they have no chance this gen... but if they want to get 50% or greater market share... they're pushing their luck.

edit
Obviously referring to mainstream gamers. Hardcore gamers and fanboys will buy it regardless.

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

microsoft gets credit here, don't compare them with Sony.
Although the PAL launch was later than US/JAP, they at least told us straight off the bat.

Sony has thrown a lot of BS out way since E3 05, of course they didn't know this would happen but they were trying to out do MS's worldwide launch.
they failed and people feel shafted.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

mxlegend99 wrote:Can anyone name one good reason that consumers have to wait till March 2007 and not just grab a 360 now or at Xmas?
i) PS2. Sony customers are assured of a slew of top new releases to hold them over until the new system launches. ii) Software support. MS will have more games at the time having been out for over a year prior but across the board MS are not as strong as Sony regarding software support.

That's not to say Sony aren't going to lose a tonne of business to MS this Christmas but they're still two compelling reasons why consumers might choose to wait until March '07. Sony are nowhere near fucked. As mentioned once a platform is up and running launch shortages and slipped dates are issues soon forgotten.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'm sure this news is a great relief to many people. Ive seen 3 people already, over the past month, order a PS3 thanks to the new baby bonus. This new date will give those who got their welfare partners pregnant back in April when their footy teams started winning will now be in with a shot to get a PS3 at launch.

In case anyone thinks I'm joking, there have been court cases over the custody of a PS2 paid for with the baby bonus.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Sony aren't 'fucked,' all it means is that the 360 and Wii will have one less competitor this christmas...

and the Wii is certainly by no means a threat to the others as a competitor, and with all these great games coming out for 360, MS will keep it's threshold as the big next gen head honcho
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/06/sony-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ica-in-06/
Indeed, if one were to look at several recent North American console launches, you'd see a particular pattern. In 2000 when the Dreamcast sold 514,000 consoles in two weeks, it was record-breaking and worthy of press releases proclaiming the feat. Just one year later when the PS2 launched, those same numbers were indicative of a shortage.

What we're saying is that, basically, these numbers don't mean anything. Despite what appears to be gross incompetence to much of the gaming press and the hardcore industry watchers (that's you guys), the mainstream gamer is blissfully unaware of reductions in shipping estimates. To him, it will appear that the PS3 is the hottest thing this holiday -- just like the Xbox 360 appeared to be last year and the PlayStation 2 back in '00 -- and may have no problem waiting for the demand and/or price to go down. People are still buying PS2s today, remember? Just a reality check before the hype consumes us all.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Pep, I think you underestimate the Wii in Japan and the impact that will have on PS3. 100,000 units vs DS chart domination and Wii will be riding the crest of that wave, so to speak. Not to mention the fact the Japanese launch price is an open price, out of the reach of many consumers inevitably.

That same effect will be noticeable in the USA when ebay auctions get going, on top of buyers being forced to spend big on bundles as per usual.

If MS can play up some good looking games in NA and Europe over these next few months, and show the PS3 isnt any better looking, but twice the price - people will baulk at that.

Wii60 generation is here.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Jizzy McLobber wrote:microsoft gets credit here, don't compare them with Sony.
Although the PAL launch was later than US/JAP, they at least told us straight off the bat.

Sony has thrown a lot of BS out way since E3 05, of course they didn't know this would happen but they were trying to out do MS's worldwide launch.
they failed and people feel shafted.
MS told us stright off the bat? What the? They set a global launch date. They realised there wouldn't be enough units for global launch so shafted PAL territories. Sony have done the exact same thing.

The people who will explain in fullest detail how shafted everyone feels are xbots who weren't getting the thing at launch anyway. As someone who actually preorded the thing I can tell you the delay is noteworthy and worth a few wry smiles at Sony's expense however it's nothing to feel shafted about.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

from memory the only delay was in aust/NZ... and it was 3 weeks.
the euro launch was later but didn't they hit that date?
Pat

Post by Pat »

They didnt shaft Europe, Europe had a 360 launch in December 05. I'll say it a third time if I have to (looking at you two, Pep and Jizz).
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Euro launch was never delayed, it was late November (21st maybe?)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

MS told us stright off the bat? What the? They set a global launch date. They realised there wouldn't be enough units for global launch so shafted PAL territories. Sony have done the exact same thing.
?? Europe got the system only a couple days after the states, austral-asia regions minus japan got shafted in the year after. But we knew that 6-9months before hand.
The people who will explain in fullest detail how shafted everyone feels are xbots who weren't getting the thing at launch anyway. As someone who actually preorded the thing I can tell you the delay is noteworthy and worth a few wry smiles at Sony's expense however it's nothing to feel shafted about.
I guess you wouldn't feel shafted if you had your doubts about the launch, i had little faith they were gonna make it, and even if they did launch it here, it would be practically a paper launch, which imo does more harm than good, it just frustrates people and makes scalpers rich.

Like i said before I always intended to pick one up march, I didn't want to get the first units off the production run, march is bonus time for me and the software lineup should look a lot more compelling than just mud racer.
Last edited by lestat on 07 Sep 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wikipedia says December 2 in Europe for 360. I think there was a 2 week delay from memory.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

that's what i'm saying, and although it was delayed here they at least told us we were getting it early 06 straight off.

EDIT- People WILL feel shafted.
Last edited by jizzlobber on 07 Sep 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Well I know Europe launched a month after Japan and North America and that MS described 360's launch as global. If Europe launched on schedule then their launch was never global. Curse these confounded non-gamer execs and their shareholder-pandering board-room antics.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

anyway my point was they at least tried to give everyone the system around the same time, they didn't give out dates willy nilly like sony did and that's why they shouldn't be compared

comments like "yeah but the same thing happened with xbox 360".
Pat

Post by Pat »

It wasnt a month Pep.

North America: November 22 (900k units)
Japan: December 10 (100k units)
Europe: December 2 (500k units)

Those are 360 launch dates and quantities for LAUNCH DAY.

And we all know how that went as far as shortages go.

PS3 launching with 400k/100k is going to look stupid, and they wont be able to replenish stock that quickly at all.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Jizzy McLobber wrote:that's what i'm saying, and although it was delayed here they at least told us we were getting it early 06 straight off.

What do you mean 'straight off'? Haven't Sony just told us 'straight off' that due to manufacturing shortages PAL misses out until 03/07?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sony straight off told us at E3 that we were getting a worldwide launch on November 17.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Jizzy McLobber wrote:that's what i'm saying, and although it was delayed here they at least told us we were getting it early 06 straight off.

What do you mean 'straight off'? Haven't Sony just told us 'straight off' that due to manufacturing shortages PAL misses out until 03/07?
after telling us it would be released in november at E3.
i'm saying MS didn't give us false hope.
mech

Post by mech »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:anyway my point was they at least tried to give everyone the system around the same time, they didn't give out dates willy nilly like sony did and that's why they shouldn't be compared

comments like "yeah but the same thing happened with xbox 360".
They still managed to delay our already delayed launch.

They claimed a global launch and then when they announced dates suddenly we were next year.

It is a VERY similar situation.
Pat

Post by Pat »

MS didnt announce a specific date for Australia until they announced February 22. Yes, everyone was pissed. But they didnt miss Europe (the biggest gaming market in the world).
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

oh well, Pat knows what i'm on about.
Pat

Post by Pat »

999 posts!

If I had a dollar for every post so far, Id be able to get a PS3.

Oh wait .... no I wouldnt! :fight