Disc scratching...

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Disc scratching...

Post by Vince »

Just noticed that my Samsung drive could quiye possibly have caused my copy of Burnout to have a couple of small scratches around the disc. :down: The scratches are no longer than maybe half a centimeter long, but they definitely look like they curve to the shape of the disc. They aren't full circles going right round the disc, which makes me think they may have been there when i 1st purchased the game cause none of my other games (Saint's Row, RR6, COD2, Kameo and PGR3) have any scratches on them anywhere.
I haven't moved my 360 from it's horizontal position to the vertical position while playing, but i did move it ever so slowly about half an inch to centre it's position on my bookshelf. I didn't hear any scratching noises though...
Any thoughts of why this is happening? I thought the Samsung drive was meant to be the most reliable and safest??? :(
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

No scratching at all with my samsung drive, did you get the game sealed?
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Sealed and all. Got it from DVD Crave and i've never had a problem at all with them. I can only guess that when i moved it ever so slightly it may have caused it to scratch, cause they are quite noticable. They aren't all round the disc though, they are in small patches, but they curve in a circular motion... I didn't hear any scratching, but searching on the net i've found 1 person who did almost the same thing as me and he got small scratches on a disc too.
Like i said though, it was only on Burnout and no other games...
I'm going to test it a little more and have a marathon session, and see if it was indeed my moving of the 360, cause if it is the fault of the console, i'll be pretty upset.
Are the xbox 360's prone to scratching of discs without movement though?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

What ever you don don't move the machine while a game is on. The disc spins pretty damn fast, a tilt/nudge can throw the disc off balance causing it to hit other components inside the drive(usually the laser head) and create some nice circular scratches.

The 360 should not scratch a disc if you have it stationary. So if it's still scratching discs, you have a faulty drive.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

A few people here and there (including DJ Fusion, as I recall) had scratched discs from their 360s.

It's possible that you caused it by moving the machine.

However, it's also possible that the machine is faulty, and you've been able to pick up on it early. Unless you're pretty sure you caused it, you might want to think about getting the machine sorted out.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

DJ's machine was scratching all discs, it was faulty, i get the impression that vince moved the machine while it was on, which probably caused the disc to wobble and make contact with the laser head, hence the scratches.