Gamecube component questions

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Gamecube component questions

Post by Pat »

A mate of mine wants to get a component cable setup for his cube.

A couple of questions however.

His cube is an Australian PAL system, but it still has the old digital av out port.
Do Australian gamecubes output progressive scan?

Or is the best he can hope for a 576i signal being output through $90 cables? Thats really only going to be a bit better in terms of sharper colour/less bleeding, isnt it?

As for sound, I assume the option is the standard av-out going through a y-adaptor and into a line-in port on his system for dolby pl2? (I can manage this bit, just a matter of whether theres another way or not)

Any help greatly appreciated :)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Aus Cubes will run prog scan with the cable but afaik you'll need to obtain Freeloader and import NTSC games as PAL software doesn't have prog scan available. That's what I did and it worked.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

the only pal title I know that has prog scan is rayman 3 but that requires the s video cable for it. Go figure...
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah like Pep said Australian cubes display 480p just fine, but no PAL games support it.

480i still looks alright though, on CRT's moreso though, but at the very least you're getting rid of dot crawl and colour bleeding.

$90 cables though? I thought Nintendo Australia still sold them? Otherwise check out liksang/play-asia usually they have them for about the same price $50~ with shipping extra.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

GreyWizzard wrote:the only pal title I know that has prog scan is rayman 3 but that requires the s video cable for it. Go figure...
? I thought it was that it needed an RGB Scart cable to display in 60hz?

edit:

Oh and pat, for sound just use one of these things;

Last edited by Ben on 08 Sep 2006 01:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

d'oh my bad. RGB scart, pretend I said that and move on...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Liksang have some component cables for $90, but given he has a pal only collection it's kind of useless without the freeloader. Ill pass it on.

Thanks.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

$90!? fuck that for a joke. It's the Wii component cable pricing here and now...
Are liksang just capitalising on the fact that they are hard to find or something?
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

I got my component cable from Nintendo Australia. 46.99 I think it was, including courier shipping. Took maybe two days.

I think it's worth it even just to sharpen up the image. But some might not find it worth the money unless they have some progressive scan support.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Seraph wrote:I got my component cable from Nintendo Australia. 46.99 I think it was, including courier shipping. Took maybe two days.

I think it's worth it even just to sharpen up the image. But some might not find it worth the money unless they have some progressive scan support.
Yeah that's my experience too, well worth the money to get them, and even moreso when I started building a NTSC collection.

edit: that is well worth the 46.99, not sure if I'd pay $90+ for them.
Last edited by Ben on 08 Sep 2006 02:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

He already called Nintendo, theyre out of stock because they said "there wasnt enough demand".

:laugh:

No fucking wonder - the games and half the consoles dont support it!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

If they have an LCD then it is worth it. SD just look like shit :( You are basically forced to buy component cables.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Seraph wrote:I got my component cable from Nintendo Australia. 46.99 I think it was, including courier shipping. Took maybe two days.

I live 1km from Nintendo, and got the cable for $47ish (just walked there).

Anyway, with the Cube, you will really notice the difference between standard AV to component cable. I didn't really notice much with the Xbox.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

I have a modded jap cube i bought on release and would not even consider playing a game without the component cables. Re4 on a 62 inch screen in 480p looks absolutely stunning. Keep a lookout in the trading post or ebay, you might be lucky to pickup a set on the cheap.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Found a us dealer on ebay that sells them for around $40 australian delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PS2-XBOX-HDTV-CO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... dZViewItem
Beer Belly
The Sweetest banana in the bunch
XBL ID: BeerBelly 360
PSN ID: BeerBellyAU
Steam ID: kigurai

Post by Beer Belly »

I got the cables for alot less than $90 IIRC. And like Ministry said I don't ever play the GC without component output.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

My mate actually had a nice little run going... picked up component cable from the Nintendo office in Melbourne for around $50 (I think) then put them on eBay... got up to $120 for them!