PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by lestat »

Update to bore you on my upgrade saga.

It was a bad cpu after all. I posted before that I had a lot of thermal issues and stability problems with my chip. I noticed on my brothers cpu he could prime95 at stock clocks with temps sitting around 60-65 degrees. On my dud cpu temps would hit 85 degrees and small fft loops it was 90+.

So I decided to buy another 7700k, the new one is substantially better(newer batch L644 v L640). My temps are 20 degrees lower and this one can do 5ghz@1.3v out of the box.

I'm in the process of returning the other cpu, I'm not sure if i'll get a refund or a new cpu yet.

But overall much happier and this thing friggen flies. :up:

Time to actually play some games. :P
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Rare to get a bad CPU, so maybe the PSU was fine in the end?

Edit - Disregard that, just it killed a HDD. I've noticed since upgrading my RAM and CPU better performance in Forza Horizon 3. At least a 20% boost in performance, no more slow down in the large city areas like before.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

"I won't wait for Zen" he says, completely misunderstanding the point of the suggestion, "I don't want to be dealing with new architecture issues" he says.

*buys Kaby Lake*
*everything breaks*

:laugh: ;)
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat

Post by lestat »

Rorschach wrote:Rare to get a bad CPU, so maybe the PSU was fine in the end?

Edit - Disregard that, just it killed a HDD. I've noticed since upgrading my RAM and CPU better performance in Forza Horizon 3. At least a 20% boost in performance, no more slow down in the large city areas like before.
In this case I do not think its rare, a few on overclockers forums have similar issues. Some have already returned CPUs overheating at stock speeds.

I think Intel has a QC problem with the heatspreaders.

I know unfnk, my faith in Intel has been shattered here. I was reading today about atom chips that die in 18 months due to a bad clock generators. Looks like Intel are cutting corners in the name of profitability. The number of delid articles on tech sites is pretty big now. Intel fucked up.

I'm still out the cost of a CPU until I get it replaced via warranty, looking forward to some bullshit excuse, we'll see.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, my first thought was the heat spreader. Still sucks to get a dud CPU, makes me a little glad I went with Skylake to save hassles. You won't regret getting that PSU though, top shelf piece of hardware.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The farther I went down my component selection path the more I understood how important a top quality PSU is. Should've seen the thing that was on my first component list.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I've had one fail on me and it's an ugly feeling. Never skimp on the power supply because it can fry everything else
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:The farther I went down my component selection path the more I understood how important a top quality PSU is. Should've seen the thing that was on my first component list.
I'm not entirely sure it was my power supply in the end, the new power supply is certainly a much cleaner and stable 12v rail. I'm wondering if it was just the weak/poor CPU that required more juice/overvolting to run. The Silverstone 850w gold is no slouch.

I sent back the CPU to futu online, they said they would refund me, so hopefully the CPU doesn't magically work perfect for them. See how it goes.

I hope Ryzen is awesome, we need the competition bad. Maybe I should have waited.

My final clocks on the new CPU are.

5.0ghz / 4.8ghz (avx offset 2) / 4.5 uncore @ 1.32v.

XMP @ 3466.

Tried several games, looks very solid at those settings. Thermals sit between 60-80 degrees depending on how hard a game uses 8 threads. I'm very happy with these results especially after all the aggravation I've been through the last 2 weeks.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3dmark-be ... -i7-6950x/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Time for Intel to be worried?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I wasn't telling you to wait just to see if Ryzen performs better (I honestly doubt it will), but to see how Intel responds if AMD prices it low enough. Basically, if AMD can get within spitting distance of Intel in the performance stakes and price their chips at - let's face it - a sane price, Intel will have to respond somehow, even if it's just lowering their prices a little.

I mean, even if nothing went wrong with your build, you'd be kicking yourself if Intel's prices bottomed out once Ryzen launches.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

If the lineup leak is to be believed, the 8 core/16 thread part will be half the price of Intel's equivalent.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-line ... ds-leaked/

I reckon the star of the show will be the AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4 core/8 thread part, giving some solid competition to the 7700k on the gaming front, at a much lower price.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I wasn't telling you to wait just to see if Ryzen performs better (I honestly doubt it will), but to see how Intel responds if AMD prices it low enough. Basically, if AMD can get within spitting distance of Intel in the performance stakes and price their chips at - let's face it - a sane price, Intel will have to respond somehow, even if it's just lowering their prices a little.

I mean, even if nothing went wrong with your build, you'd be kicking yourself if Intel's prices bottomed out once Ryzen launches.
The 7700k isn't an expensive chip, 300~350us. If it got a price cut it might be $50. Intels enthusiast(-E) chips is where there is stupid markup and that's where I expect to see big price falls because a X1800 for $500 will be as good as a 6950 for $1000. Looks like IPC on Zen will be decent, so it just comes down to clocks now and value for money. My time with the 7700k might be short lived, I'll probably jump to a Zen+ later.

Never got around to posting pics of the new build, well here they are. :)
IMG_20170218_150126.jpg
IMG_20170210_210939.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1 ... al-launch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD did it! 52% IPC improvement!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, I had a quick look at the Linus Tech Tips video about it earlier. Those prices are some kind of sucker punch to Intel, that's for sure!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

oh my god, we haven't even been hit by much of an Australia Tax, either!

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/187 ... socket-am4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - $700 for the R7 1800X (it's $650 in direct conversion).
http://computers.scorptec.com.au/search ... =brand:amd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - same price as above
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/am4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - $750. AusPCMarket tacking their bit on, but "free" shipping, I guess...

There's never been a more exciting time to be a PC gamer.
(unless you count the launch of the original Athlon 64 x2)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Scorptec must have updated today because I checked yesterday and there was nothing.

Amazing performance for the price. Core i7-6900K $1499, 1800x $699

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-processor-tested/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor Tested And Pictured – Blows Away Intel’s $1000 Core i7 5960X
That's $1549 on scorptec vs $569.

So glad I didn't upgrade yet.
Owned 2 amd CPUs in the past. 2500+ and 3500+ before jumping to intel.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

This is very interesting
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

These are great prices, god I hope these processors review well in real world applications.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I'm still a little suspicious of the way AMD has shown benches for Ryzen, they've carefully compared certain things and deliberately avoided doing comparisons in games, like comparing x264 on 7700k to ryzen 8 core, it's known that Ryzen can only do AVX at half the rate of skylake/broadwell, i.e. it's more like a 4 core intel cpu in AVX throughput, cinebench doesn't use AVX etc.

So I think we will be let down a little bit when the final benches hit. It's still looking to be a great architecture and very competitive though, just going to depend on your use case what cpu is really best for you.

Also I think overclocking headroom will be very limited, I think AMD has pushed clocks hard here to compete, early reports on overclockers are saying the chips top out at 4ghz and requires some very beefy VRMs to do it, ie weaker boards are capping out at 3.8ghz.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Gaming benchmarks shouldn't be too long.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Regardless of benchmark cherry picking, at the end of the day it's a FPS/$ equation, as it's always been with AMD. Money saved can go towards a better GPU .

And the 1700 part will make a great CPU for a home lab.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I think the sweet spot for power/price/performance might be the 6-core/12-thread versions, whenever they show up. Still more threads than most CPUs on the market now, cheaper, and perhaps more power efficient? I'm stoked that AMD have wrangled such an amazing efficiency increase over the FX line - my FX8350 is a 125W unit, but even the 1800X with eight threads and 16 cores is a 30% reduction in power. I imagine that the 6-core ones would have even less power draw. 75W, perhaps?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live stream, looks like nVidia are about to announce the 1080Ti. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

edit -

1080 now $100 USD cheaper.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »