Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Heh, my desk is a door plus some legs from Bunnings. $50 all up and it's massive :up:

I will keep my eye out for a cable tray the next time I'm at Ikea. My first attempt at cable management (did this just the other day) uses a lot of velcro straps from Officeworks. It is a lot neater already, but there's only so much I seem to be able to do with the amount of shit I have on my desk. Speakers AND a headset. The Oculus Rift with extra sensor for the Touch controllers. Wired keyboard and mouse.

Hard to see too much difference here :redface: Bought new speakers the same day I bought the velcro straps, so you can see them (and they actually added more cables as it's a 2.1 system whereas my old ones didn't have a subwoofer). You can also see the CableBox on the floor.

This shot you can see more of a difference :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Also, on the door desk, I'm thinking of doing something like this to it:
I have two of them so it looks like a corner desk, thinking of doing one in Justice League comics, the other in Avengers comics :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

After six years of service, my Steelseries Xai has finally given up the ghost; the RMB became uncooperative and basically needed to be slammed down to register a press.

However, the Xai was great. It had the amazing Intellimouse Explorer Optical shape (my faveourite MS mouse), and I fucking love the way you can set it up on one machine and just plug it into another one and it keeps its settings all stored in onboard memory. And the different profiles you can have stored on there too. Oh, and the LCD screen on the underside.

So, it's been replaced by a Steelseries Sensai. It's basically exactly the same, only it has RGB lighting, and you can customise what the display says.

Having a new mouse is an entirely underrated experience.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I decided against an aio cooler, I've got a cryorig R1 Universal coming. Doing my OCD research, just didn't seem enough difference in performance to justify the risk/reliability.

I chose the R1 because the black/white will suit my build and it doesn't block the ram slots so I can enjoy my Corsair LEDs.

My brother built up his today, he sent me a pic of the mobo/cooler, hanging to get back and build mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the biggest reason for an AIO (or other watercooler) IMO is the volume. Unless I start cranking it up to full beast mode, I can't hear it over my video card fans.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

That's a beefy cooler. True, there is always an element of risk with any water cooling but I think the market is developed enough that failures are exceptionally rare
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Well there are other reasons too, my case airflow is positive pressure to reduce dust, adding an aio would mean I have more exhaust than intake, which would mean more dust as air is sucked in through holes that don't have filters.

I still was seeing reports on forums and reviews on Amazon that are recent of failed pumps which seems common and the odd leak. The difference between a twin tower d15/R1 and top dual 240 rad is ~1-2 degrees, but the difference in noise is 20db in favour of air coolers.

If the performance delta was larger I'd see a reason to take the risk, my current case can accommodate either solution, so size isn't an issue.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

errrr... you can have positive pressure with an AIO (or any other water cooling) rig.
The way I see it, if Intel and AMD are OK with shipping AIO units with their high-end CPUs (in certain SKUs, of course), then it's fine for the rest of us.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I'd have to add more case fans which isn't all that feasible and if I put the rad on the front intake I'd be pushing hot air onto my GPU which is just a no no. The best I could hope for in my current setup would be neutral pressure, the aio push a lot of air, each fan does 77cfm. My 140mm phantek fans do 82cfm(2X push, 1X pull) but I only run them 70% to limit noise.

An air cooler pushes air but it's in the wind tunnel space of the case, so it doesn't impact pressure like an aio does which has fans mounted on the case. I just find over the years positive pressure really keeps my components clean and free from dust clogging fins/fans. I just need to do routine filter cleaning.

I think 2-3 years ago aio had a clear advantage, it's just a newer gen of air coolers which have closed the gap.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

There was a really good Youtube video testing different orientations of AIO in the case and mounting the AIO rad to the front of the case as an intake is the best for interior thermals for the CPU and GPU. The Pascal generation are so efficient that the presence of extra hot air running through the system doesn't affect temps, even under load however is much better for the CPU rather than a top mount pull config.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves&t=77s

Don't get me wrong, I love the simplicity of air coolers and reassured that the worst that will happen is a broken fan to replace. Sometimes dat bulk though...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Interesting results, I have the same card and I know the heat it puts oit is pretty massive, it's why I got a new case, to remove the mass of hot air the 1080 dumped in the case. Looks like the rad doesn't warm the air nearly as effectively as heat pipe coolers, I guess that explains why they depend on very noisy high CFM fans.

Then again in both his tests he has overall negative pressure, so cool air would be pulled into the case from elsewhere besides the front. 2 case fans up top mean the air flow is going more from bottom to top than front to back. Probably why the GPU wasn't impacted by hot air coming off the rad, the fans are facing down so they are probably pulling in air from bottom back vents unfiltered.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Upgrade didn't go as planned, got back to my desk at work to see my new mobo/CPU/ram.

I installed it last night and couldn't get the system to post. Kept flipping between BIOS 1/2 and red CPU led diagnostic light was on, indicating a problem with the CPU.

I checked it was seated properly, checked power cables, checked for bent pins for which there none. So I have no idea what's going on. I don't think the CPU is bad, I think the board is a dud.

I put back in my 2500k and everything booted up, so in the middle of RMAing the board now, the whole thing has got me bummed. :(
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Sorry to hear mate. Your post took 20 seconds to read but I know the pain would've stretched for hours.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, most likely a dud board. Massive shame. I had my fingers and toes crossed when upgrading recently, always the worst part of a build is the first postt
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I'm heading around to my brother's now to test the CPU. We'll also throw the mobo in his case to eliminate a power supply compatibility problem. But reading online this error was mostly fixed by a lose power cable or dead board. We'll see how it goes, mega frustrating.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

So last night was interesting, I went around to my brother's place. I tried my CPU in his mobo and it booted fine. We then proceeded to try my mobo and CPU in his case and it booted fine. The only difference here is the power supply, but I wasn't sure.

Went home and installed it and same problem, mobo fails to boot CPU led on. It has to be the PSU now, I had my old 750w Silverstone with failed fan, try that and it all boots fine.

So some weird compatibility issue with the Silverstone 850w strider gold I have and Aorus gaming 7.

I limped into windows using onboard video, no GPU installed so I don't overheat the temp power supply. Updated drives etc all good.

So I'm on the hunt for a power supply today. Looking at a CoolerMaster v750/v850 modular, my local store stocks these and they appear to be really efficient.

Anyone use EVGA power supplies? I can see the supernova 850w looks pretty good.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Troubleshooting a new build when you don't have an equivalent socket board to eliminate faulty parts is such a pain. Plus having a power supply compatibility issue is pretty rare these days, and unlucky.

I've used Corsair power supplies a couple of times for mates and myself and never had an issue, though I think they're just re-branded Seasonic parts.

If I didn't want to salvage parts from my current build for my next jump to save a bit of coin, I'd be almost tempted to just grab a PC Case Gear system - when you take into account the Win 10 CAL you're almost in the black when compared to putting it together yourself and you have the piece of mind that if it doesn't POST you can just send it back.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I just ordered an EVGA 750w G2, fingers crossed it works fine. Looks very highly rated.

Yeah this is the first time in years of building I've seen a power supply compatibility problem. I suspect the Aorus board must have some overzealous volt protection in place and not liking the rail being fed.

Just glad I found the issue, it would have been painful to go through RMA and still not work.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Great troubleshooting effort. Having recently researched PSUs I can confirm EVGA G2s are among the very best.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I have an EVGA G2 750W. Based on a Super Flower design. Seriously awesome PSU for a great price.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

well done diagnosing the problem. There is literally nothing more annoying than a faulty PSU, because it always looks like every other part of the system could be at fault. Sudden reboot while gaming? I must have overclocked my CPU too high!
System locks up during mundane tasks? Bad RAM!
2D GPU-accelerated UI stops working? Must be something wrong with my videocard or drivers!
Computer won't boot at all? I mightsn't have seated something properly, or maybe I zapped something with static.

Nope, all issues from the damn PSU not working to spec!
Ambrose Burnside

I remember the day I was to print my Honours thesis back in the day, my PC wouldn't turn on.

One of the most gut-wrenching experiences ever.

Turns out it was a stick of RAM that had shat itself, I took that out and it worked a charm. Praise Jebus.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

So put the new power supply in, boot! Sweet proceed to finish up the build and tidy cabling up etc. I notice in windows my G drive is missing. Hmmmm G drive is a newer 5tb Seagate which was ripped out of a USB enclosure, it had newer game installs. Try a few things and the drive looks dead, crap.

I proceeded to move my 2500k parts into the tj08-e which will be my htpc now, I figure I'll give the HDD a try in that just to make sure the drive doesn't like the new PSU. But it's dead in that box too, so ordered a 6tb Toshiba drive this morning.

Beside the HDD death, everything is good now, I have already overclocked it to 4.8 memory 3466. Boy does this thing pump the heat out when hammering avx instructions. My volts are sitting around 1.35-1.38 right now. I'm just using the built in BIOS preset, I tried manual quickly but it's pretty involved and I need to feel out more what my chip can do. I will try the 5ghz preset but I have a feeling that it won't be practical for day to day. I can see why DF settled on 4.8ghz with their 7700k.

Unfortunately stuff like Horizon was on the G drive so my gaming will be limited to what I have installed on the 2TB d drive. Should get the new drive on Monday, thank God I have unlimited internet. ;)

Oh one added bonus of the new PSU is my 1080 overclock can run a little better, probably due to better voltage regulation. The old 850w lives on in the tj08-e which is a good fit for that case, so all was not lost there, the power supply I had in mind was not fit for purpose because it lacks 8 pin pcie cables.

Need to think about what GPU to get for the tv box, maybe r480/1060. I have a very old 8800gts in there now.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Thinking about it, I think running the system with the bad 750w Silverstone I had was a mistake. The wife was annoying me to access her emails, so I left it in and let her use the machine with it, that power supply probably killed the HDD. When I pulled it out it was burning hot, who knows what volt rails were being delivered. The other 2 drives probably had better filtering.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I've been playing with clocks on my new rig for a few days. I'm just not having much success really stabilizing 4.8/4.7ghz. I need to put at least 1.35v+ into the chip and the thermals for those speed bins are pretty bad. Under stress tests I'm hitting 90-95, In crisis 3 I'm seeing 90 degrees.

I'm just going to settle at 4.6 core / 4.4 uncore and 3466 memory. The minor increase in speed isn't worth all the heat generated and higher volts imo. At 4.6 the temps are sitting in the 75-80 range under load which is far more manageable.

Performance wise I'm happy, crisis 3 welcome to the jungle was a good test since I was cpu limited in that section, getting around 40fps in parts, the new chip gets me 85fps. So a good doubling in cpu limited situations. BF1 another game that uses a lot of cpu runs 100fps+ at all times now.

Just wish I was able to get a bit more clock speed out of it, 100hz over stock boost is a bit naff. I was hoping for 4.8 but the thermals are just ridiculous, I see on overclocking forums heaps of people delidding, I have noticed this chip that the temperatures rise very quick almost instantaneously, the bottleneck is the TIM between the chip and spreader.