GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I think it's time I build a new PC. Damn this thread! :lol:

My desktop PC which is a few years old ( amd 3500/ 7600gt/ 1gig ram.) blew up on me.

Smoke started coming out of it, I think it's the power supply goneburger.

I want to get back into PC gaming.There's a whole bunch of games that I want to play but can't with my current setup ( a laptop) so my only option is build a new one.

I will definitely be picking up the latest ATI card, core i7 920, with a new mobo, hdd, psu, case, some ram and an LCD.Oh, an
d how many watts PSU should I need?

I won't have my cable modem in the same room as the new PC, so I will need a wifi card.
Will I get much lag using wifi to play games online from about 10mtrs away from the router?

You can build your own PC at scorptec, and have them send it out, so I might do that.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

pay good money for a psu dont cheap out...id say 850w is a good investment

as for lag and wifi gaming i dont know..but i cant stand wireless gaming...maybe the new N routers and cards are better but youll have to get other peoples feedback
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The pc was supposed to be built today but the suppliers didn't have the motherboard in stock, it should arrive by Saturday.Got 6gigs of ram.I asked the pc guy that windows vista 32bit doesn't recognize more than 4gb of ram ( from what I read off the net.He said it can after sp1 is installed.

I look forward in getting back to PC gaming.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

flipswitch wrote:I asked the pc guy that windows vista 32bit doesn't recognize more than 4gb of ram ( from what I read off the net.He said it can after sp1 is installed.
It may well recognise it, but it still can't use more than 3.5GB
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

So in other words, I must upgrade to 64bit in order make use of the 6gigs of ram.I can't afford paying a few hundred dollars for it.So I'm stuck with 32bit version.
Pariah

Re: new PC build...

Post by Pariah »

just a bump...

if you can recall i went for positive air pressure [3 intake 2 exhaust] with this case...i just want to say this method of airflow fucking rocks...fuck all dust to clean out..and temps are kept low..

since this thread i ended up adding a 80GB Intel SSD..its been one of the best purchases ive made..

the raptor i now use to install games on..and the other drive is used for storage and downloads..

:up:
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Nerd :lol:
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

:)

for sure bro..

hell how many niggas you know that calculate the CFM in his case to insure it has positive air pressure ...like a clean room to keep the levels of dust low..

ordered some more stuff...will update when it comes in :nana:
Last edited by Pariah on 03 Aug 2010 07:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

There's nothing wrong with a bit of pc lovin.What ever makes you happy.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Nah of course not, im just jealous :(
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

What's your overclock Pariah?
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Muzza wrote:What's your overclock Pariah?
4.5GHz
vdrop
HT
speedstep
turbo

all enabled...when im just surfing the net and shit speedstep kicks in so i dont use a fuck ton of power :lol: gaming and shit CPU maxes out.. :up: <3 speedstep

i can hit 5GHz but it runs too hot for this air cooling...

this i7 d0 + EVGA X58 Classified E760 Motherboard are a match made in heaven... :)

when summer roles around i might look into water cooling again..since this cosmos s case is built for it really... :up:

<3

also for ordering more cool shit...i love buying from http://www.pccasegear.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :up: and msy for the cheaper stuff.. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

well put my order in for watercooling gear...should be here within a day or so..

this should combat the incoming summer really well...

$608.68 all up with shipping and stuff

will post up pics when everything is setup and rocking.. :nana:
Last edited by Pariah on 01 Sep 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sveky

Post by Sveky »

Yep pc's are the shit! :up:
My bro's custom cooling setup... yes thats frozen pipes :shock:

Specs
2x 5870 @ 1030mhz gpu, 5000mhz gpu ram
cpu i7 @ 4750mhz
3 ssd's in raid o
3x sata3 600gig velociraptors in raid 0
get about 40,000 vantage marks

CPU temp -15c
GPU temps never over 32c
1200 tt psu
blue ray
3 x 26 inch lcd,s

Plus i get some awesome hand-me-downs! :up:
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

God damn.

That's insane! :run:

Who needs air-con for summer, just open the case!
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Sveky wrote:Yep pc's are the shit! :up:
My bro's custom cooling setup... yes thats frozen pipes :shock:

Specs
2x 5870 @ 1030mhz gpu, 5000mhz gpu ram
cpu i7 @ 4750mhz
3 ssd's in raid o
3x sata3 600gig velociraptors in raid 0
get about 40,000 vantage marks

CPU temp -15c
GPU temps never over 32c
1200 tt psu
blue ray
3 x 26 inch lcd,s
fucking awesome..Sveky!

is he using a compressor to cool that cpu??? :up: :up: :up:

you should tell him to post on GR!

d0 or c0 stepping i7??? he should be going for 5GHz man..unless he cant get it stable at 5??

changed the title of the thread..should be good to post up shit regarding hardware... pics and so on...

:nana:
Sveky

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by Sveky »

yea its some funky custom thing he made with an evaperator submerged in coolant.

Ill get him to post some more pics of it.

Its quiet a site, his room is filled wall to wall with pc stuff! Amazing amount of tech just laying around :lol:
Golgo13
XBL ID: Golgs
Steam ID: Kastar_troy

Re:

Post by Golgo13 »

Pariah wrote:as for lag and wifi gaming i dont know..but i cant stand wireless gaming...maybe the new N routers and cards are better but youll have to get other peoples feedback
Waste of time, just bought into the whole N crap and its a facade, still get variable pings going up to an additional 80ms. My area is a bit saturated with wireless networks, but I don't think it would matter too much.

The whole 300MB/s crap, load of shit, you need a perfect laboratory set-up to get those speeds. Pretty much performs like G.

So a question, I got a 5850 at the moment, and I'm wondering if there is anything worth upgrading too out there. Or should I just wait for the next gen?

I'm curious if its worth buying into the whole PC 3D(24"-30") gaming thing yet? Happy to spend a few K if the experience is worth it.
Releasing Rockstar Mojo on android, action platformer with 24 weapons! Opinions needed!

More info on http://www.games-ranch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10383
or www.destructivestudios.com
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Strange, I use a Billion router and a shitty D-Link wireless card and have no issues with lag/pings. Get a constant 10-30ms ping depending on which TF2 server I play on, and this is over G not N.
Pariah

Re: Re:

Post by Pariah »

Golgo13 wrote:
Pariah wrote:as for lag and wifi gaming i dont know..but i cant stand wireless gaming...maybe the new N routers and cards are better but youll have to get other peoples feedback
Waste of time, just bought into the whole N crap and its a facade, still get variable pings going up to an additional 80ms. My area is a bit saturated with wireless networks, but I don't think it would matter too much.

The whole 300MB/s crap, load of shit, you need a perfect laboratory set-up to get those speeds. Pretty much performs like G.

So a question, I got a 5850 at the moment, and I'm wondering if there is anything worth upgrading too out there. Or should I just wait for the next gen?

I'm curious if its worth buying into the whole PC 3D(24"-30") gaming thing yet? Happy to spend a few K if the experience is worth it.
Golgo...wait for the GEN 2 DX11 cards...5850 is fine...GEN 2 cards from ATI will be released before the year is out...

for gaming im using a wired 1000Gb network... :up: the only things using wireless are my HTPC..and the notebook mobile phone & itouch ..thats it

as for the whole 3D gaming shit...my 295GTX supports it..

too bad i cant fucking stand TN panels the colours and black levels make me want to puke :lol:

IPS for life :bow:
Last edited by Pariah on 21 Feb 2011 04:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I know TN panels ( the majority of PC panels use them) are the cheapest and don't feature great blacks and viewing angles, one thing I like about it and I'm not an image quality whore like I am with TV's is that they feature very little lag on them.Great for gamers.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

flipswitch wrote:I know TN panels ( the majority of PC panels use them) are the cheapest and don't feature great blacks and viewing angles, one thing I like about it and I'm not an image quality whore like I am with TV's is that they feature very little lag on them.Great for gamers.
Input lag on TN panels is not what the manufacturers spec...they just state pixel response time..which really has nothing to do with input delay..

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check the dell 23" IPS review...it input lag wise its pretty fucking amazing...

ive got two TN panels one dell 23" [s2309w] and the other a 24" Samsung 2443BW+ [paid $406 for it]...both of them are ugly as fuck when it comes to reproducing colors and blacks compared to the IPS panels i have...[the dell funny enough is better than the much more expensive samsung]

the IPS panel i have [dell 2407WFP] is a bit older now..the newer IPS panels input lag wise perform even better...

im thinking of going for a 30" or two times 27" IPS for my next display...TN can go get fucked..i regret wasting my money on the samsung the most...i should try selling the fucker :lol:

though i heard dell is going to release a new 24" IPS panel with LED back lighting...so i might look into getting two of those and running 3 times 24" displays.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Well I just finished building a PC for a mate last night.

Core i5-760
GA-P55-UDR3 mobo
8GB GEIL CL8 1600MHz
Twin Barracuda 7200.11 1TB matrix raided
Antec Truepower 750W (just in case he wants to go XF in a few months)
Lian Li K62 case

The Lian Li K62 is the best budget case ever. The *WHOLE* PC install is toolless. I shit you not.
Golgo13
XBL ID: Golgs
Steam ID: Kastar_troy

Re: Re:

Post by Golgo13 »

Pariah wrote:Golgo...wait for the GEN 2 DX11 cards...5850 is fine...GEN 2 cards from ATI will be released before the year is out...

I figured there was something coming out, been a while since the 5970 was released. Cheers.

It could very well be my area, there is anywhere between 5 and 10 wireless networks(yes I tried several optimization techniques, lestat helped me out). But anyone living in an apartment will have the same problem. 1GB network is only option for gaming.
Releasing Rockstar Mojo on android, action platformer with 24 weapons! Opinions needed!

More info on http://www.games-ranch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10383
or www.destructivestudios.com
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

So I'm looking at some new PC parts, as my PC is currently non-functional. I don't want to turn this thread into tech support, so I'll be brief - when I boot it up, I get 7 beeps most of the time, but sometimes 8 beeps, sometimes 3 beeps and sometimes 6 beeps (virtual mode exception error, faulty/missing gfx card, 64k base RAM error, and keyboard error respectively). This to me says dead mobo, but it could be something else, so I have to consider replacing any or all of the core components, and it may be more sensible to replace the CPU/MB/GFX as a set with a modern setup that is known to gel well together, rather than try to find parts piecemeal.

Parts I may need to replace are:
3.0ghz dual core 775 socket CPU, 4gb RAM, mobo, 460W psu, gfx card.

If anyone can give advice on narrowing down the issue more accurately, it'd be appreciated. I don't game on the PC, and I don't want to spend 500-1000 bucks replacing parts when a 150 dollar mobo is all I need... but I don't want to spend 150 on a mobo and then kill it because one of the other components was causing the fault.

Anyway. Recommendations for a replacement?