Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by pilonv1 »

Intel 9 series should be announced overnight
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

I really want to swap out my 970 SLI setup, but holy hell I cannot come at those prices. Was hoping to see the 2070 TI slot in at about $600 - $650. Might be a while yet while they clear 10 series inventory. :(
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

pilonv1 wrote:Intel 9 series should be announced overnight
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13401/in ... 700k-9600k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I, for one, welcome our new multicore overloards, but those are some big dollars.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

First quote from that anandtech link.
Building a, i9-9900K and RTX 2080 Ti system will cost a minimum of roughly USD $3000. Computers are starting to get back to late 80s/early 90s prices, LOL (only the 35+ crowd will remember those days)
Yep I find the rapid price rise of PC gear to be disturbing, PC managed to attract many console gamers and now this crap is going to push them back to consoles again.

What I find disappointing with intel is how little progress they've made with IPC and architecture in the last few years, you look at the apple A12, they've been making huge IPC improvements every generation where their low watt cpu is now rivaling some desktop parts.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/th ... -secrets/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It kinda feels like intel has been flogging the core architecture for too long, we needed a new architecture years ago to scale better on performance per watt.

These cpus still don't contain any hardware solutions for spectre and meltdown.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

you gotta admit though, IPC on the Core architecture is light-years ahead of anything we've had in the past. It's just a shame that Intel haven't had the incentive to improve in the way AMD has.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

My last PC was built for less than 1500 and that was including a 970 which was about $500 at the time IIRC. It's ridiculous now.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:you gotta admit though, IPC on the Core architecture is light-years ahead of anything we've had in the past. It's just a shame that Intel haven't had the incentive to improve in the way AMD has.
That breakthrough was over 7 years ago. You can see how intel has coasted on this architecture for so long, unfortunately due to economies of scale many competitors in the cpu space dropped out because they couldn't match the investment/fab tech.

This is why the mobile space has been more exciting, we've seen huge amount of capital and investment into mobile chips which has led to TSMC now rivaling Intel's process, which in turn has reinvigorated AMD with a manufacturing process to match and or beat Intel now.

Intel is still stuck on 14nm, hasn't made any significant uarch improvements. Going to be interesting to see zen 2 on 7nm TSMC with a claimed 15% improvement in IPC.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:Going to be interesting to see zen 2 on 7nm TSMC with a claimed 15% improvement in IPC.
Yup. Now that I'm flush with cash (comparatively speaking), it's taking all my self-control to not blow it on a Zen+ CPU and a Turing graphics card.

I forgot to mention though, I picked up a couple of Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC fans to go with my new case. I'm reasonably sure they could lift the case on their own. I've never felt such airflow outside of a tropical cyclone! I immediately ditched the included fan and got another Noctua for the exhaust.

At $45 each, they're well expensive. Worth it, though.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Intel caught out.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... a-flat-lie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because they’re effectively benchmarking the Ryzen 7 2700X as a quad-core CPU with lousy memory timings, it’s no particular surprise that the Ryzen 7 ends up getting its ass kicked. This goes beyond simply adjusting a few game settings in a way that favors your hardware but subtly disadvantages the competition. The Ryzen 7 2700X has been configured to run with half its cores disabled in a non-optimized memory configuration with sub-optimal timings while the Intel system was configured with an ideal memory subsystem and all of its cores and threads enabled.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Intel caught out.
If you're not familiar with Steve from Gamer's Nexus, then strap in for a wild ride...
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Sweet box though, gotta give em that ;p
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Bought ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless Dual Band AC1900 Router plus Cisco SPA122 VoIP ATA & Router ( needed for VoIP).

I spent an hour and a half with tech support ( Aussie Broadband), trying a million different things to get access to the ATA. In the end, it was a success.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I hijacked the Doom thread with my troubleshooting arising out of the hitching I was experiencing playing Doom with an uncapped framerate. I was experiencing the same stutter/hitching during some Witcher 3 and Hitman sessions too. To summarise I've spent my last three evening sessions tweaking my GPU (MSI Gaming X RX480 8gb) voltages to improve efficiency. Undervolting has delivered excellent results. The card now runs at its full boost clock 100% of the time which of course means no more hitching and no more capping framerates.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The hitching was related to clock throttling of the card? That's a bit annoying.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'll be honest, with the fucking ridiculous pricing of the RTX2070, the Vega56/64 looks a lot more tempting than it did a few months ago...
Peppermint Lounge
The End

lestat wrote:The hitching was related to clock throttling of the card? That's a bit annoying.
Very annoying. Voltage throttle as temps well inside thermal throttle considerations and increasing the power limit with stock voltage made it worse. I found many instances of RX480 users finding greater efficiency through undervolting. Add me to that pile.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I'll be honest, with the fucking ridiculous pricing of the RTX2070, the Vega56/64 looks a lot more tempting than it did a few months ago...
Yep I've been checking out some 32 inch monitor options, it's amazing how many freesync monitors there are now at reasonable prices. I really hate nvidia proprietary lock in bullshit and their overpriced monitors/cards. Was really pleased to find out that the one X has 1440p hdmi support and can do 144hz over hdmi now. If you have a 144hz freesync monitor you can get LFC working, so it would be great to go all freesync for future console VRR support.

Here's hoping AMD pull their finger out and release some great cards next year. I noticed Vega 64 stock is pretty much depleted, so they're running down inventory for potentially new cards next year.

Found this comparison by hardocp interesting on vrr sync tech.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

lestat wrote:Here's hoping AMD pull their finger out and release some great cards next year. I noticed Vega 64 stock is pretty much depleted, so they're running down inventory for potentially new cards next year.
Polaris 30 / RX 590 rumoured to release in November?

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-590- ... ing-rumor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An entry in the 3DMark database showed up with drivers named Radeon RX 590 Series. The score was 5,028 which if correct puts this particular RX 590 between a GTX 1070 and 1080. If that's a reflection of the retail product it would be a nice shake-up for the segment.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/4728483/spy/4728483#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah I hear November 15 is the launch for those new cards, looks like great price performance(15-20% uplift over a 580). There is talk that 7nm AMD gpus will come earliest end of Q1 next year, that might be Vega 10 first up, there have been some Vega 10/20 bench leaks so they are testing early under clocked samples right now.

I'm expecting the Vega 10/20 cards to be around 1080Ti performance level for around the 700-800 mark.

I also heard that samsung have 7nm EUV working and that nvidia will be using that, so end of next year we might see some refreshed 20 series cards from nvidia.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

AMD chief Lisa Su confirms new high-end GPU; “we will be competitive in high-end graphics”
Looks like next year is going to be interesting for the GPU market.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

If AMD were competitive in the high at a cheaper price point I would totally jump to team red. Just for the better choice of Freesync monitors and pricing.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Lots of reports around the web of the 2080 series cards dying, mostly the 2080Ti.
I suspected it might be the GDDR6 memory failing to live up to its promise, people who have issues have found under clocking the memory fixes their crashes/corruption.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... d_its_the/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So safe to say, avoid the 20 series card for the time being until they resolve these memory problems, hard to say right now if it's the GPU memory controller not up to snuff or the memory modules themselves.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Isn't the rule every second Nvidia generation?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It's official, 20 series is a flop.

Latest nvidia earnings show a big miss on revenue, still a glut of inventory with a guidance of lower revenue the next quarter.

Stock is down 19%.

I hope they learned their lesson.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nvidia seemed caught up in pushing a new tech that no one was demanding. Ray tracing is a great feature but between that and higher FPS, I will always go for higher FPS. All I want is a single card solution that can power a 4K 144Hz monitor at or around the max refresh rate. Right happy with my 1080Ti for the moment, hoping they figure it out for the 21 series.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.