GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Post by Rorschach »

Going from a 4770 to a 6700K I noticed an increase of around 1500 points on Firestrike and Time Spy. Not too bad, not a huge jump but if I push the overclock a little harder. 7700K will be a hugr jump, might need a new cooler though
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Looking into my 7700k upgrade, I've settled on the ASUS Maximus IX hero, going 3200mhz ddr4 32gb. Just not sure about a corsair h105 or noctua d15/phantek tc14pe.

Still a little nervous about water cooling, anyone had any bad experiences with aio systems? How's the noise. We have one here at work, it's pretty Audible, I wonder how it copes with GPU hot air, the system here doesn't have a beefy GPU.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I use a Fractal Kelvin, love it. Never hear the pump, sometimes hear the fans at max RPM but performs very well under load. I've never had an issue but to put it beyond a doubt I'd grab a Noctua. I have one on my other PC, fan is audible under load but not over the sound of a game. I know Umart has a Kelvin S34 for a good price at the moment, highly recommend it.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I've never had a problem with my AIO water coolers. The volume is fine, and most of them have built in fan controllers to help with that.

I'd honestly do the "wait for Zen" thing though. Even if you don't want to get an AMD, Intel will probably have some kind of response that would benefit you.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah I'm away on holidays till the end of the month, so I won't do anything till I get back. I hear nda for zen benches is supposed to end at the end of month.

I just have a feeling Zen will disappoint in gaming just like 6/8 core intel parts because they just don't clock as high and have the ipc of skylake/kabylake. Also I consider the 7700k/Z270 to be a very mature platform, with zen I'd be an early adopter and could be caught out with chipset/cpu bugs that slipped through, past experience with amd boards was one of compatibility issues.

But good to hear you guys are happy with your AIO systems, I might take the plunge.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://videocardz.com/65571/amd-ryzen-t ... at-gdc2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some confirmation that ryzen will launch in Feb.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not suggesting "wait for Zen" so you can get one instead of an Intel, but just to see how Intel responds. You might think the 7700k/Z270 is a very mature platform, but let's face it, Intel are ludicrously expensive. You'd feel pretty jacked off if you bought it, only for Intel to drop the price a couple of weeks later.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Well if Zen is awesome I'll grab that but yeah I can see right now the 7700k parts have early adopter price tags, that should come down a little bit in a few weeks and once ryzen appears.

Expecting big price cuts for 6800/6900 parts, they're grossly over priced, 7700k at 500 is reasonable.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:But good to hear you guys are happy with your AIO systems, I might take the plunge.
I'm even happier now that I've plugged the controller lead in properly :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't push the cable all the way into the pump thing. I never noticed because it worked fine. I kept forgetting to download the Corsair Link software so didn't know anything was up until I installed it this arvo and didn't see the H100i show up.
Plugged it in properly, and now I'm actually seeing what it's doing.

With no load and with the "Quiet" profile selected:
Motherboard temperature: 33'C
CPU temperature: 15'C (not sure how accurate that is, but I suppose it's pretty cold in this room)

Edit:

Under 60% load for a couple of hours, it got to 42'C on the motherboard, and 23'C on the CPU

Edit 2: 96% load (4.1GHz):

"Quiet" profile
Motherboard temp: 55'C
CPU temp: 36'C

"Performance" profile
Motherboard temp: 50'C
CPU temp: 33'C

Rather loud under full load, but still quiet when idling using the Performance profile. For reference, this CPU almost never gets above 60% load.

Not sure what's going on with that motherboard temp sensor though. My mobo has two, and while one was reporting 52, the other was reporting 34.

My case is a "Be Quiet! Silent Base 800" and it's pretty well ventilated, but it's jam packed full of stuff: 5x HDDs, 1xSSD, 1xODD, 2xGPU (GTX970 & GTX670 for PhysX), sound card, wireless card, and a 900W PSU. The CPU is an AMD FX8350, so it's not cool (in any sense of the term).

The cooler is a Corsair H100i. I've used an H100 in a previous build and never had problems. It's a 2x120 radiator, and the pump just connects to power, a fan header (just the spreed sensor), and a USB header on your motherboard. It's really quite a nifty package.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Well I took advantage of the eBay 20% sale and ordered my mobo/ram, in the end I got.

Gigabyte Aorus z270 gaming 7
32gb 3466 Corsair vengeance led

When I get home I plan to grab the 7700k and a Corsair H105. That should get me to 5ghz. :)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Congratulations. Beast of a system you have now. Didn't consider the 7600k?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Congrats, lestat. Checked out your motherboard. That's some light show. New case?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:Congratulations. Beast of a system you have now. Didn't consider the 7600k?
I wanted hyper threading, I cheaped out on the 2500k last time and wished I had gone the 2600k. I expect to keep this chip for 5 years if it follows the pattern of my last CPU.

Same case pep, the enthoo pro m. I chose the Aorus for a few reasons, the onboard sound blaster 3D is add-on board quality, dedicated quad core processor, yes the led zone customisation is off the charts. Lots of metal bracing on ram and PCI slots. Overclocks like a champ. Oh and onboard thunderbolt 3.

Just looked like a better package overall versus the Maximus IX hero. Got it for 360 delivered.

I'm looking at a Silverstone td02-e cooler, this review seems to rate it good with the 7700k. Seems to be a little quieter too.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cas ... ega_test/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by lestat on 16 Jan 2017 05:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Good review by DF, well worth a watch.
Lestat, good to know.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah I saw it, it's the reason I tried to get the fastest ram I could find. Also note that kaby lake performs better with 4 sticks, something skylake introduced with its memory controller. Used to be you avoided filling all banks.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

lestat wrote:Same case pep, the enthoo pro m. I chose the Aorus for a few reasons, the onboard sound blaster 3D is add-on board quality, dedicated quad core processor, yes the led zone customisation is off the charts. Lots of metal bracing on ram and PCI slots. Overclocks like a champ. Oh and onboard thunderbolt 3.
That's an awesome on board sound kit. My Gigabyte Z170x gaming 3 comes with the metal braced slots too which I love. No graphics card sag will be had.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

What do you guys do for cable management (outside the case I mean, on desk/floor)? My setup is a mess both in my study where my PC is and in the theatre where the consoles are and I want to fix that.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I have long since resigned myself to the cable jungle back there...
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Zip ties and placement. I don't go crazy though. So long as everything has space to breathe
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I was thinking of velcro straps and/or even hair ties.

What about your desktop. On the floor or on top of the desk? Mine is on the top of my desk to my right so that I can see all the cool shit inside the window. But I was wondering if having it on the floor will help keep things more neat and tidy, or if that will result in more dust and shit getting in?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Rorschach wrote:Zip ties and placement. I don't go crazy though. So long as everything has space to breathe
You mentioned in another thread that you had a couple? of thermaltake PSU that conked out on you. Do you have the model numbers? I have a Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W Power Supply which is 4 years old and still running strong. I was thinking of buying from the same brand again whenever I chose to upgrade.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Flipswitch, video showing the benefit of hyperthreading. Lots of modern engines will make use of the 8 threads now. It really makes a big difference now.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

flipswitch wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Zip ties and placement. I don't go crazy though. So long as everything has space to breathe
You mentioned in another thread that you had a couple? of thermaltake PSU that conked out on you. Do you have the model numbers? I have a Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W Power Supply which is 4 years old and still running strong. I was thinking of buying from the same brand again whenever I chose to upgrade.
I've had headaches with Thermaltake PSUs. First one was a Toughpower Gold 750W, simply died on me one morning. RMA and got a new one. So far so good but recently bought an EVGA Supernova G2 to replace it. Supposedly a Tier 1 unit and we'll regarded. Got it in a sale, fully modular
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ambrose Burnside wrote:What do you guys do for cable management (outside the case I mean, on desk/floor)? My setup is a mess both in my study where my PC is and in the theatre where the consoles are and I want to fix that.
An under-desk cable tray works. Such as:

https://www.4cabling.com.au/single-laye ... 15371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be installing an integrated version in the house we're currently building.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: An under-desk cable tray works. Such as:

https://www.4cabling.com.au/single-laye ... 15371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be installing an integrated version in the house we're currently building.
Yep, I went with a similar version from Ikea when I redid the study. I ended up taking a kitchen bench top, some legs and some cabinets plus the cable trays and made the study desk out of that. Keeps all the crap off the ground which is always a plus.