Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

mech wrote:wtf, that is fuggo! This one right?

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... il&id=3947
My mistake, I have the 1010:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 17&id=3759
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

mech wrote: you literally cannot hear the mac-mini, the foxtel box is louder :lol:
Yes those HD+ boxes are insanely loud ... I love how the "off" button's functionality is limited to turning red from blue with no discernable difference in noise levels or activity in the machine.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

It's not just the HD boxes, it's the IQ too. when you switch them "off", all it does it turn off picture output :lol:
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

MCWrang wrote:Pariah, I have just built myself a new computer which has very similar specs to what you're running:

- Cosmos S 1100
- i7 920
- Gigabyte Ex58 Extreme
- Antec Signature Series 850W (READ COMMENT BELOW!)
- NH-U12P SE Cooler (READ COMMENT BELOW!)
- Sapphire 4890
- 12GB Kingston HyperX (1600mhz)
- LG Bluray burner/HD-DVD player
- 2x 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar HDD's in RAID0

Now for anyone that wants to criticise me for being insane, haha... well I don't blame you, but I'm in the visual effects/3D animation industry, so it definitely helps to have a bit of grunt behind ya. I don't play a whole lot of PC games, but I bought Crysis to stress test my rig and it runs a dream on very high settings 1920x1200 (haven't even overclocked yet).

IMPORTANT NOTES!!
1. I went through 2 of those Corsair PSU's (admittedly the 850W one). Got them plugged in, had them running fine, until after a restart.... well it didn't restart, dead PSU. Had to return them both before deciding I'm going to stick with the brand name of PSU's, even if it meant shelling out a few more coins.

2. I hope that new CPU cooler works for you... While the one that I have is awesome, I completely didn't account for one major issue - the fat 120mm fan on the side of the Cosmos case. With the cooler fitted, you can't actually close the case coz the fan gets in the way of the CPU cooler. In the end I just had to remove the fan from the case. Fortunately, the temperatures inside didn't seem to suffer too much from it not being there (CPU is going sweet at 27 degrees, system temp is at 41 currently at idle).

Good luck with it, you'll be loving it when it's up.
well i can still change the PSU because they are still waiting for stock...ill have to look into that for sure..plus its a well known name and its not like the psu is el cheapo 350+

as for the cooler i knew that the side fan would come in contact with higher ones thats why i took it out...believe it or not the megahalems is one of the top 1 to 3 air coolers you can buy depending on whose review you read.. :up:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
lexo

Post by lexo »

mech wrote:It's not just the HD boxes, it's the IQ too. when you switch them "off", all it does it turn off picture output :lol:
Sounds dodgy as, like they're making sure it dies quicker so they can make you buy a new one. /Gamehead
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

you don't buy them, you rent them.

if you really wanted a gamehed conspiracy you'd talk about how they dont turn off so they can send data to someone and they can spy on you.
mech

Post by mech »

lexo wrote:
mech wrote:It's not just the HD boxes, it's the IQ too. when you switch them "off", all it does it turn off picture output :lol:
Sounds dodgy as, like they're making sure it dies quicker so they can make you buy a new one. /Gamehead
Nah, it's so it can record when it's "off".

The HDDs in those fuckers must be the cheapest shit out there, so crappy and loud.
lexo

Post by lexo »

Ah true makes sense. I guess you wouldn't expect the greatest build quality from Telshit :lol:

+ :lol: Pilon
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

well an update on the build...the mb heatsink and fan should be in next week..

im picking up the corsair hx1000w psu today...it has gotten great reviews..not shocking seeing as it costs $355 :lol:

and ive decided to go with a 300GB velociraptor which i will also pickup today...drool 10,000 rpm hdd..will go fine with my seagate 320GB hdd which i use just to store some stuff from time to time..also have other external drives...SSD sounds great but the prices are already falling and im happy to hop on the next gen of SSDs..

as for the video card im going to wait till next month..from what ive heard the prices on the ati range will drop even further...hahaha have a spare pci-e card ill use till that time

also i checked my cosmos s 1100 and its rev2 which is nice...

as for cable management..im pretty much going to go for a smiler setup as below maybe clean it up further..

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I think I prefer the hard drive bays in my 1010 - the drives have individual caddies and are mounted vertically and sideways;

the power & data cables then snake out from behind that, through one of the oval holes into the main area. The only downside is that it's not such a great idea for PATA drives.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

yeah that looks really nice...great for people who will be packing that shit up...

but for me really max drives ill ever put in is 3...

man..check this setup..

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

well i put everything together on monday...and the computer is a fucking beast..

i have easily overclocked the cpu to 3938GHz did stock voltage on everything but the cpu which i DROPPED the voltage on to 1.223v ...stress tested it with prime 95 and intel burn test [best stress test app imo] and its rock solid...im sure i could push well over 4GHz but im happy with the current setup...

the heatsink is a fucking tank and does a wonderful job of keeping the i7 very cool...

second the MB is the best overclocking mb i have used hands down...no wonder this board rules the highest i7 920 overclocks...

http://hwbot.org/listResults.do?cpuMode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &limit=100

atm im using a 3850 gpu will be picking up the 4890 next week...also need to order a pioneer bluray burner..

list of parts i purchased..

MB: EVGA X58 Classified Motherboard

CPU: i7 920

Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems & Noctua NF-P12

Extra Fan: CoolerMaster Case Fan 12CM

CASE: CoolerMaster COSMOS S 1100

RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Triple Kit

PSU: Corsair HX-1000 1000W ATX Modular Power Supply

HDD: Western Digital 300G SATA II VelociRaptor(WD3000HLFS)

HDD 2: Seagate SATAII 500GB 16m Cache

:up:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Beastly :up:
Kaji
Cowboy Unit Number Ten
XBL ID: Kaji AU
PSN ID: Kaji_AU

Post by Kaji »

Pariah pics asap please :)
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

ill take some pics once the 4890 comes in...

i could do with some better cable management lol...but its not that bad..

ive got the heatsink facing south north direction so the noc fan is pushing the hot air off the heatsink upwards towards the top mounted 120mm fan..
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

ok took two quick pics for you kaji...

vert pic showing off how tall the Megahalems is..as you can see its almost touching the side of the panel rofl...i have the heatsink in the north south position since heat rises the silent noc fan does a good job of pushing the air towards the upper 120mm fan...temps are lower.. :up:

and what the inside looks like when powered on...

will clean up the cables more once the new videocard and drive comes in..

i really dig the Noctua fan...$36 a fan though.. :lol:
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Kaji
Cowboy Unit Number Ten
XBL ID: Kaji AU
PSN ID: Kaji_AU

Post by Kaji »

Good stuff :up:

I built my latest PC toward the end of last year, I'll have to get a few snaps I'm pretty happy with that way the insides look.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

westical wrote:Image
gold... :lol:

its a read out of one of the tempertures...and going by the evga tuning utility its the cpu or case.. :lol:

also for transformer fans...if you look at the heatsink side ways you can make out an autobot logo.. :rollin:
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

You should run the SF4 benchmark on it, just for laughs.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

yeah i get over 100fps at 1920x1200..but the benchmark is very gpu limited under 3% load over all cores on the i7...im running a shitty ATI 3850 TOP atm...so ill post back with more results next week when i grab sfiv off steam and new graphics card..hopefully next week if stock of the gpu i want is in i mean...

also i cleaned up the cables inside the case...

updated pic..

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

and the video card am here...

295GTX V2 only $600..

295GTX V2 compared to the card i was using till this arrived...ati 3850

side of new 295GTX V2 cooler

and here is a inside look at the new cooler..pic from a review and was not taken by me unlike the top two..

if the dx11 cards at launch rip arse..ill upgrade and put this in my other pc...
The new Geforce GTX 295 makes almost everything better than the old one: It is not as loud , doesn't need as much energy and doesn't get as warm. Four you as a customer this means: If you want a GTX 295 then wait until the new revision is available in larger quantities. This should be the case in the next weeks. But don't expect a lower price - according to the latest information the single PCB GTX 295 won't be cheaper than the old version.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

phwoar
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

:lol:

overclocks really well too.. :o and very silent...great new cooler design

playing games im getting temps of around 60 degrees..
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

that's some seriously neat cabling. I'll have to remember that if/when I get the new PSU