GR ~ PC Hardware thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

It's amazing what outfits are doing with their GPU designs lately.

I remember my Dell 9400 lappy used to nearly scorch my balls off with an old, gutless, underclocked 7800go. Not exactly apples to apples, but still.

Nice tidy build by the way Pariah.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

awesome build

makes me want to put together a new pc
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

thanks guys for the comments...
unfnknblvbl wrote:that's some seriously neat cabling. I'll have to remember that if/when I get the new PSU
lol ive hidden away even more cables since that pic..and got rid of the IDE Drive...also put in an order for the following...should be here on friday or monday..

Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module __ for HDD storage and it has front mount for a 120mm fan

3 x Scythe SlipStream Fan 1200rpm SY1225SL12M $63 in total__nothing but rave reviews of these fans how silent they are yet how much air they push...

going to mount two of them in the front and one at the top..

so fan setup in the end with the other fans i have will be...

3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans which will insure i have positive air pressure...reason im aiming for positive air pressure is due less dust clogging up your rig..still will need to clean but it wont be as annoying as a system with negative air pressure [almost all pc rigs]

im really happy with the Geforce 295GTX i think this is the first time ive been back using a top end nv gpu fulltime since the mighty launch of the geforce 3...and wow i have to say the control panel is better than what ati have to offer...

im enjoying playing with cuda and physX..

oh and max temp i can pullout of the both gpus is 75 degrees running stress test in furmark..in normal gaming overclocked it does not go over 60 and with the way ill be setting up the fans that are coming..i think that will drop even more...
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Due to all my PC issues as of late I'm thinking of fucking the RAID off and sticking to one bootable SATA II drive and one SATA II drive split into 2 partitions for gaming and media. The drives will run at the 3gig mode so should be a little more speed there, but will I really notice much of a difference compared to RAID?

Was thinking of picking up a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, an Intel i7 920 and 6GB Corsair RAM (and a new keyboard as I smahed it in a fit of rage last night... either that or the monitor).

Will still use my Antec 650W PSU, ATI Radeon 4870, Antec P183 case, 320GB Barrcuda SATA II for the bootable drive and a 1.5TB Barrcuda for gaming and media. Only built the thing last year, but the data stuff as of late is shitting me. Will upgrade from Vista 32bit to 64bit, ready for Windows 7 when available.

What do you guys think?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

get a mac. :P
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

sounds good agonny.. :up:

grab yourself an i7 920..piss easy to overclock if you want to in the future
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Yeah, planning to grab it with. Still not sure if it's worth going for a RAID setup though.... a little bit worried after my RAID0 mishap. I want as few HD's as possible in my computer. If I go for RAID5, I'll have 3 drives plus another.

In having an i7 920, 6GB 1600 DDR3 RAM (C8 latency) and a Radeon 4870, will there be such a big difference in game speed when using RAID5 compared to a SATAII drive with the OS and another SATAII drive with the games and media on it?
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

well your biggest bottleneck at the moment is the graphics card...though youre better off waiting for those dx11 cards to hit before upgrading

if you dont want to fuck around with raid you could buy a SSD or a VelociRaptor...im running my games on a VelociRaptor atm and it rips them up..

might grab a ssd when win7 final hits...hopefully the newer drives are out :P
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

im looking into buying a new tower with the lot and im looking to spend around about $1400

i dont really need it for gaming since i just play the xbox360 now

any suggestions?

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

then why are you looking at spending $1400?
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

and you'll be looking at spending at least $700 more than that, for one "with the lot"
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

that's a lot of pineapple, bacon, beetroot and egg.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II x3 720BE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
RAM: G.Skill 4GB DDR3-1333
HDD: WD 640GB
GPU: Powercolor 1GB ATi 4890 Gigabyte
Case: Coolermaster RC-690-KKN1
PSU: Seasonic PSR550+

look online for the prices and you should end up with a system thats around the $1000 mark and can play modern games if you like...

take out the ATI 4890 swap it was some shitty ass gpu and you will save more cash..

though keep in mind going for a shitty gpu in this day and age where they are so fucking cheap for the performance you get is beyond me...

also you might get lucky and unlock that extra core on the amd cpu for free son..

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-cor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 40859.html

;)
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

Get a single SSD as the primary drive. Snaked one from work and love it to pieces. Probably the most noticeable upgrade I have ever put in a personal system.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

ok sweet thanks for the info guys :up:

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Replica wrote:Get a single SSD as the primary drive. Snaked one from work and love it to pieces. Probably the most noticeable upgrade I have ever put in a personal system.
Yeah, but for ~$200 for a 32GB SSD, it's a big ask. I found a massive boost just going from a 200GB boot drive to a 640GB one.

So I was wondering what people think of BDR burners. At only about $200, they're almost at the sweet spot, IMO.
Anybody had any experience with them?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Was bored today and stumbled across this.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... s_id=12127

Powercolor 4890 1gb card for $269, absolute bargain!
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

I'm trying to get my hands on a Sapphire 4890 Atomic, but can't find anywhere in Australia that's planning on stocking it. May have to see if I can get it when I'm in the States in September.

If not, I'll be getting the Sapphire 4890 Toxic.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

ive purchased a fuck load of stuff from pccasegear...great service..

w00t im glad i waited for intels new ssd drives...

they just announced their new 34nm NAND flash ssds..which will cost fuckload less their their previous drives and they have increased the performance nicely as well..

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image
Compared to its previous 50nm version, the new Intel X25-M offers improved latency and faster random write Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS). Specifically, Intel's new SSD provides a 25 percent reduction in latency, for quicker access to data, operating at 65-microsecond latency compared to approximately 4,000 microseconds for an HDD.

Random write performance increases twofold, further separating the X25-M from other competing SSDs. By delivering up to 6,600 4KB write IOPS and up to 35,000 read IOPS, the X25-M continues to set the bar for SSDs, while leapfrogging HDDs which only operate at several hundred IOPS. This provides for markedly faster system and application responsiveness. These improvements in latency and IOPS not only benefit desktop and notebook users, but also server and workstation users, as they utilize Intel's cost-effective, yet performance-oriented, MLC SSDs for enterprise computing.
:drool:

just in time for win7...
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Got everything sorted with the computer. Specs are:

- Vista 64 Bit (free upgrade to Windows 7)

- Intel i7-920

- Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (One step down from the Extreme, same board minus 1 or 2 non essential heat spreaders and the water cooling connection)

- 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 (same as Pariah's Dominator RAM, just without the funky heat spreader)

- Sapphire 4870 512MB (trying to get my hands on a Sapphire 4890 Toxic)

- Seagate Barracuda ES 7200 320GB for OS & Programs, Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB for Docs/Media & Downloads (both installed at the front of the bottom chamber), WD Velociraptor 150GB for games (installed in the main chamber at the front with a 14cm fan blowing fresh air right on it), external WD 500GB 2.5" for backup (and a docking station for all the other HDD I've got laying around)

- Creative Audigy 2 ZS (no need to change to the X-Fi really)

- Antec P182 (4x12cm Antec Tri Cool fans: front middle, rear, top and one in the bottom chamber between 2 HDD and PSU)

- Noctua NH-U12P SE Cooler (heat sucked from within the case near the RAM, through the heat sink and blown right into the rear case fan)

- ANTEC NeoPower 650W (will look to upgrade to a minimum 850w when I get a new video card)

System is up and running, overclocked the i7-920 to 4GHz as per the Gigabyte OC Guide released on the net.

Had it at a multiple of 20, with the Bclk at 200MHz. My RAM is Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 1600, had it running at a lower rate of 1200 (x6). QPI Link Speed was x36 (7.2GT/s with Bclk at 200MHz). Uncore was set at x13 (2x+1 RAM multiplier). CPU Vcore was @ 1.4000V, QPI VTT @ 1.520V, let everything else as AUTO.Stress tested with SP2004 (4 windows opened and assigned a core to each of them), running at 70C for just under 20min and got a BSOD.

Upon going back into the settings I realised that there's a few power and CPU settings I didn't disable.... could possibly be the reason as the error was IRQL dump or something like that...

Just gone back in and set it as 20x190MHz (3.8GHz), memory multiplier to x8 (increasing RAM to 1500MHz), uncore @ x17, QPI Link Speed at x36 still but it's dropped a bit. Been running under load for the 42min, around 70C for the first 15min, but turned up the speed on my top case fan and rear fan and it's been sitting pretty on 63C.

Will probably try and take it up again to 4GHz with those power and CPU settings being disabled. Any tips from anyone to help me along?

Off to sleep now, haven't slept in over 24hrs and my girlfriends going to kill me if I don't go with her to Ikea today..... :D

*EDIT - Been running for over 1hr 10min now, I'm guessing that it's stable (will try pushing the Video card up as well before trying 4GHz again).

[Click to see hidden content]
Last edited by AgOnNy on 26 Jul 2009 09:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

what model no. is the ram??? the one i bought overclock like crazy and have really tight timings great for oc and gaming.. :rock: easily worth the extra money

wow that cpu vcore is wayy too much for a d0 that is only oced to 3.8GHz...

just to compare...i can hit 4GHz at 1.22v and all other voltage settings on default..though ive noticed a trend with the mb i bought it seems to run lower voltages for cpu...and stress tests like a motherfucker..best tress test ive used are the intelburntest [running 16 threads] and prime95

dont push the volts for the cpu so high...

also update your bios if you have not done so already.. :up:
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

I've never OC'd this way before, will jump back in and get the voltage down (however, under 1.40 is ideal).... want a new Video card now... but need a bigger PSU too... Anyone know how much extra heat a GTX 295 or 4870X2 would add to my system?

Pariah- You've got the TR3X6G1600C8D and I've got the TR3X6G1600C8. Only thing I can find different is the heat spreader.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C8D.pdf

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C8.pdf
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

the exhaust most of the air outside the case since they are two slot design...

when i added my 295GTX i did not notice any increase in temps..

for the psu might want to checkout the corsair hx850 :rock:
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Will have to still think about the video card. I really want a Sapphire 4890 TOXIC, but the 4870X2 is a killer of a card (not 100% sold on the heat from it though).

I really should be saving my cash for my US trip in September though... was even thinking it may be worthwhile grabbing something in the US. Not sure where to go though or if it'd be a big saving.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

might want to hold off for the dx11 cards...not that far off..
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]