Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

i'm saying in game engine does the job though.
I mean I haven't seen anything on 360 as pretty as oddworld inhabitants FMV, but they don't make games anymore :)
I realise in game still doesn't match good FMV, but it does the job better than ever bofore.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

lestat wrote:Heh I should of known there was some jrpg game out there full of hours of cg video.
They're jrpgs, so MS will never have to worry about making a machine to support them anyway.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Seraph wrote:
lestat wrote:Heh I should of known there was some jrpg game out there full of hours of cg video.
They're jrpgs, so MS will never have to worry about making a machine to support them anyway.

:fight
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:lol: i guess, still those linear jrpg adventures scale well over multiple discs anyways. They have for years.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Now who's pulling out the damage control :rolleyes:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Talez you know full well games that aren't linear and need more than DVD9 is where bluray is needed. You're paying an extra $300 so you don't have to swap a disc for the odd game chock full of fmv. 360 has heaps of sandbox style games where this could be an issue and it isn't. We have massive detailed worlds, Oblivion, saints row, test drive unlimited, just cause, crackdown.

Besides wii is using DVD9 too, so it must be held back too because it doesn't have bluray, you'll only be able to do half a barrel roll in next gen starfox because omg you ran out of disc space. ;)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Games like Just Cause are the ones doing the procedural generation bit - ie here's where a tree is meant to be, here's the tree graphic, draw it. (As opposed to the speedtree generation in PGR3, Oblivion etc). That saves space.

Also, JRPGs suck.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:i'm saying in game engine does the job though.
I mean I haven't seen anything on 360 as pretty as oddworld inhabitants FMV, but they don't make games anymore :)
I realise in game still doesn't match good FMV, but it does the job better than ever bofore.
Nah, you need to go see the FMV in Amped 3 to see what I'm talking about. It's actual VIDEO not pre-rendered stuff for starters.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:Talez you know full well games that aren't linear and need more than DVD9 is where bluray is needed. You're paying an extra $300 so you don't have to swap a disc for the odd game chock full of fmv. 360 has heaps of sandbox style games where this could be an issue and it isn't. We have massive detailed worlds, Oblivion, saints row, test drive unlimited, just cause, crackdown.
Because nobody could ever create more content than is available for a DVD-9 and if they do its because the developer is shit and/or its a shitty game chock full of FMV. Yep. You sure got me there. No way I can disprove that piece of anecdotal retardism you just crapped out of the excuse you call a mouth.
Besides wii is using DVD9 too, so it must be held back too because it doesn't have bluray, you'll only be able to do half a barrel roll in next gen starfox because omg you ran out of disc space. ;)
So let me get this straight. I thought we were deriding the Wii because its so last generashun. So to illustrate how irrelevant Blu-ray is you've actually put the Xbox 360 on a level with the runt of the next gen litter?

:oops:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Talez wrote: Because nobody could ever create more content than is available for a DVD-9 and if they do its because the developer is shit and/or its a shitty game chock full of FMV. Yep. You sure got me there. No way I can disprove that piece of anecdotal retardism you just crapped out of the excuse you call a mouth.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said DVD9 is a problem when a non linear game requires more than what a DVD9 fits. We already have vast number of massive non linear sandbox games for 360 out there, so developers aren’t being held back by DVD9. For those developers that wish to create linear games that require more than DVD9 they can just split it over another disc. You can’t ignore that 360 has a heap of games with massive detailed streaming worlds already, nothing anecdotal about those real world examples. The only anedoctal retardism I see is from sony fans trying to justify that $300 bluray drive with a bunch of hearsay and potential FUD.
Talez wrote: So let me get this straight. I thought we were deriding the Wii because its so last generashun. So to illustrate how irrelevant Blu-ray is you've actually put the Xbox 360 on a level with the runt of the next gen litter?
Talez I was having a poke at the FUD that sony fanboys are putting out there that next generation is doomed without bluray. It was a joke ya tool.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

mech- yeah I know what you're talking about, I wasn't thinking. all the sock puppets and paper cut out stuff, piss funny!
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

The xbox360 is very good.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Whine whine whine cunt bitches
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

Why is the blu-ray costing 300 bucks?

PS3 has wireless network connection, more ports/inputs for devices, 3xthe HDD space, motion sensing controller and better tech specs on paper. Then there's the new fangled Blu-ray thingy on top not to mention the PS3 will be backwards compatible with PSone and PS2 games.

This whole Blu-ray thing sucks for sony but they want to push new technology which isn't a bad thing. From my perspective I'll be buying a console in a couple years when they're more established and better priced and if the PS3 does end up being more future proof then I'll choose it.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I thought the bluray drive would be one of the more expensive components of the machine? The graphics set isnt really anything different to the 360 chipset (apparently) and Cell is arguably the only other really expensive component. The HDD is an off-the shelf part (good for future upgrades if they use standard sizes) so the cost for 60GB HDDs (for Sony) wouldnt likely be too exhorbitant.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The bluray drive according to analysts estimate it to around $350us cost per unit to sony. The bluray drive is easily one of the most expensive parts of the system. Also the reason for countless delays, supply issues.

Also i guess from a retail point of view, the ps3 tard pack is $849 which is comparable to the premium 360 $649. For what you get. So you are paying $200 extra out of your pocket for the drive. But since consumers aren't being given the option of the tard pack at launch, it's $999 or no ps3 for you.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Agonny, we urgently need that "Monkey - Skirt" picture........you know the one. (no disrespect intended to lestat)
Pat

Post by Pat »

My guess is the answer will be "no ps3 for you" for quite a while after launch. Low shipments ftl:fight:

On a more serious note - PS2 with DVD drive, PS1 with CD drive - the tech in these cases was established (DVD less so). PS3 is essentially the test run for BD-ROM drives and I can imagine in two years time there will be a large number of repurchased units. Partly due to mechanical wear and tear, partly due to new tech teething issues, and partly due to inefficient use of disc storeage space requiring excessive searching - and causing accelerated deterioration of the drive.

Cartridges :up:
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Pat wrote:Cartridges :up:
:up: :up: :up:
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Lepo5 wrote:Agonny, we urgently need that "Monkey - Skirt" picture........you know the one. (no disrespect intended to lestat)
IMAGE REMOVED SO PEOPLES WORK DOESN'T BAN GAMES-RANCH....
"Pic of monkey up skirt....waz'ere"
Last edited by AgOnNy on 12 Sep 2006 08:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:The bluray drive according to analysts estimate it to around $350us cost per unit to sony.
Oh bullshit. It's more like USD200.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

The monkey says "No".
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Talez wrote:
lestat wrote:The bluray drive according to analysts estimate it to around $350us cost per unit to sony.
It's more like $800 when you factor in the cost of the inevitable replacement unit. :fight
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Pat wrote:
Talez wrote:
It's more like $800 when you factor in the cost of the inevitable replacement unit. :fight
$800 or $80 a game? :rolleyes:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/18/play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lynch-mob/

According to merrill lynch Talez, you are wrong!

Also just something else to chew on, the samsung standalone bluray player. Samsung actually sell it at a loss. The unit is being subsidised currently by the bluray group to meet the $999 price. Just gives you an idea how expensive these drives are.