Wii CPU enters production

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has implied that the Revolution development API is deliberately very similar to GameCube's, to allow studios to more easily transition from current- to next-gen production. IGN's developer sources confirm this, claiming that developers with Cube experience can get Revolution prototypes "up and running in no time."
i'm sorry mech? were you just exaggerating?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Cunty Cunty Cunts!!!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has implied that the Revolution development API is deliberately very similar to GameCube's, to allow studios to more easily transition from current- to next-gen production. IGN's developer sources confirm this, claiming that developers with Cube experience can get Revolution prototypes "up and running in no time."
i'm sorry mech? were you just exaggerating?
Nope, just going with what I've heard. It may well be deliberate, just as it's deliberate that they've used the same architecture as the Gamecube with very similar specifications and capabilities.

Talez, we already know that they both use PowerPC processors, and are of comparable performance (edit: I originally said similar, but I don't want to understate the fact that the Wii should outperform the Gamecube by a reasonable margin, it's just not nearly on the same level as the 360 or PS3), so talking about different architectures is a moot point. :)
mech

Post by mech »

Here's what IBM had to say about its speed when asked:
When asked to quantify the speed of the Broadway processor, IBM's Martino compared it to the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said (not really answering the question).
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/shipm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nt-of-pow/

20% more power efficient you say? Talk up that speed increase! :D How do you quantify "significantly better"? I guess you can say a 733Mhz-1Ghz CPU would perform "significantly better" than a 485Mhz one for instance.

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock Wii with its tech specs, if some of you guys are trying to twist it that way. I think it's clever what Nintendo is doing, it worked for them for the DS and I think it could work very well for them with the Wii.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

What a stupid thread based on nothing but a lie, Wii chip production and shipping began all the way back in July (and that rhymes dammit!) :lol:

IBM announced that their Broadway chip for the Wii has been shipping to Nintendo since July
By: Victor | 09/08/06

IBM announced that their Broadway chip for the Wii has been shipping to Nintendo since July.

“We have been shipping well within this quarter (July),” said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. “In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter.”

When asked to quantify the speed of the Broadway processor, IBM compared it to the GameCube.

“Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it’s 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo.”

It looks like veerything is on track with Nintendo and the Nintendo Wii has the launch gets closer by the day.

http://www.revolutionportal.com/2006/09 ... -schedule/

&

Wii chip production started in July
Friday 8th September 2006 at 06:38

With Sony announcing earlier this week of their delays and production troubles some gamers feared that the Nintendo Wii could suffer similar shortages worldwide. But today it has been announced that production is more than likely underway already.

IBM confirmed today that their Broadway chip, which has been customed-designed for the Wii console has been in Nintendo's hands for a while already. We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

So what could this mean for those of you who have been patiently waiting for Nintendo to announce a release date for the Wii? Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a large amount of the final Broadway chips since July, we can easily speculate that the Wii could feasibly be released within the next few weeks. Perhaps by the start of October. The Xbox 360 didn't start production until 69 days before it was on shelves, so this isn't a far-fetched speculation.

Nintendo has also confirmed their reception of IBM's chip: "The first chips are in our possession," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director/General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Today's milestone marks the final stage of our drive to reach both core and nontraditional gamers with an inviting, inclusive and remarkable gaming experience."

When Martino was asked about the power behind the Broadway chip, all he could do was compare it to the Wii's predecessor, the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said. "This is a critical milestone for us at IBM. We have been very pleased with the entire development project."
Martino also mentioned how proud they were of their customized processor for the Wii, "When millions of gamers take the controls of Wii this holiday season, the IBM logo will once again be front and center on this innovative new product," he said.

So Nintendo reassures us that "Wii is on track to ship in Q4 ...with plans to ship 6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007."
http://www.gameroobie.net/art/2006/3973.htm

&

Wii chip production well underway, say IBM, Nintendo
Posted Sep 8th 2006 12:01AM

IBM announced that their Broadway chip custom-designed for Nintendo's Wii console has been shipping to Nintendo's since July. "We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

So what does this news mean to gamers who have been waiting patiently for a release date from Nintendo? Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a "significant volume" of one of the major components of their console since July, some might speculate that the Wii could be ready for release sooner than the expected October street date.

When asked to quantify the speed of the Broadway processor, IBM's Martino compared it to the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said (not really answering the question).

With this update and Nintendo confirming the shipment of "6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007," we expect Nintendo might finally be ready to talk release schedule during their event in New York City next week.
http://e3.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/shipme ... nt-of-pow/

:fight
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

mech owned :lol:

Edit: Second page death, Seraph owned :lol: :cry:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Talez wrote:
lestat wrote:they should be able to produce quite a lot more cpu's per waffer.
Did anyone else hear the sound of an english teacher crying and then a gunshot?
That's not as bad as this:
mech wrote:more undercooked
mech

Post by mech »

Well "less cooked" doesn't sound right in this context does it?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Grammar whores. :thefinger:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:Grammar whores. :thefinger:
It's not that you were just ignoring good grammar and spelling. That I can handle.

It's that you obviously tried to use correct grammar and spelling and failed miserably.

Strongbad sez: OOOOOH, if it's supposed to be possessive, it's just "I-T-S," but if it's supposed to be a contraction, it's "I-T-apostrophe-S." Scalawag.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Talez unless you haven't noticed my posts are always sloppy when it comes to grammar and spelling, because half the time I'm typing like a mad man and couldn't give a fuck. I'm not trying to win a fucking pulitzer prize with my posts. :rolleyes:
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:Here's what IBM had to say about its speed when asked:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/shipm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nt-of-pow/

20% more power efficient you say? Talk up that speed increase! :D How do you quantify "significantly better"? I guess you can say a 733Mhz-1Ghz CPU would perform "significantly better" than a 485Mhz one for instance.
Comprehension time :D

The 20% more power efficient comment was, I believe, in reference to the power consumption (W) of the CPU and not the computational 'power' in terms of FLOPS/cycles per second/instructions per cycle/whatever.

Also, the proof of that is evident when you consider 733 is not 120% of 485.

CASE CLOSED! :)
mech

Post by mech »

The 20% more power efficient comment was, I believe, in reference to the power consumption (W) of the CPU and not the computational 'power' in terms of FLOPS/cycles per second/instructions per cycle/whatever.
Pat... I know. They quantified the power efficiency, but not the speed increase, which was why I was saying "way to talk up the speed increase" - they didn't, they were very, very vague about it, yet oddly specific about power efficiency gains.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ahh ok, gotcha. It took me a second read through to figure they were talking about efficiency too. :)