Test Drive Unlimited. Turn Right Here for Impressions!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Test Drive Unlimited. Turn Right Here for Impressions!

Post by t0mby »

Well I did it. Bit the bullet and purchased a 360 on Friday just for TDU and luckily the deal I got it came with a free game so TDU it was! Im not sure whats in the demo from the marketplace so forgive me if I tell you something you may know (for all you xbl users) Here we go...

The game starts out with a queue of people standing at a gate in an airport terminal. From here you can choose one of them as your main character. After selection he/she hops on the plane and flies to Ohau. upon landing you are taken straight to a car rental shop. $800 for 10 mins, or $1600 for 20mins. Anyway, I chose the Pontiac GTO (Read: Holden Monaro. RIP Brocky) at which point I had to drive off to a real estate agents to choose a house (I might have gone to a car dealers before hand as well). At first Im like 'Come on already, I just want to play' but as soon as the house was purchased then I was on my way.

So what greeted me? Its like this massive world, ok, sure its about 1600kms of roads to be exact but in gaming terms its still a huge feat. Remember when you played NFS for the first time back in the early-mid 90's and that feeling of awesomeness as you drove along these beautiful coastal roads, elevation changes going up the Alpine etc etc? I got that same feeling. Discovering all these other roads just by randomly taking a left here, right there. At one point I ended up at a waterfall lookout car park up in the hills with scenic views of the island. Racing neck and neck along the southeast coast at 230+kmph with another car next to you as you dodge traffic and get air from the slight humps in the road.

Missions vary but not too much, afterall, its a driving game so you gotta drive. Hitchhikers, models (As in sexy women, not Airfix or Tamiya), Car delivery missions as well as a few diff types of races. Speed based with cameras (Think PGR2/3), Time based, one on ones and group races (I think up to 8 AI offline).

Ok, onto the important bit, well important for some of you. The graphics. Considering how massive the island is and how quick the loading it (This is streamed right?) the game looks pretty freaking good. Cars are amazing especially when you unlock the custom paintshop and start getting all these trippy colors on your ride. The island itself isnt without its problems though. Sometimes things jerk a tad, not much to actually derive from the gameplay, but enough to notice. Gets a little worse with the high performance cars. There is a little bit of pop-up as well, but nothing major. Ive never noticed pop-up of buildings, just mainly trees and a few textures. Oh, a couple of the views in the replay have textures missing on the roads and shit, change the camera and its fine, but if you like that angle then you will be annoyed.

Some really nice features in the game, such as some cars when in the in-car view you can see the gps in the dash working in syncro with the one in the hud. Having one on one races and setting the finish line where you like is great, although the game seems to automatically select the quickest route sometimes but yay for 16+km races.

I have only driven about half a doz cars. Audi, my first purchase, Nissan 350z Nismo, my second purchase and a couple of delivery hi-po cars. These are fast, real fast. Infact I was slowing down incase I got out of control even on the motorways. I cant really compare the handling except with the 1970 Pontiac which was like a boat on wheels, but thats expected. Perfomance was good though, and the sound of the v8, wicked. You guys with home cinema are going to love this (Me, I have pc speakers and mini sub, an ddont even ask about my television, please :( ).

This game imo is comparable to GTA without any foot missions, or guns, or flying machines. You have clothes stores and real estate to buy as well as vehicles but the stats sheet is massive. I can only imagine how great the multiplayer is going to be. You and seven mates going for massive cruises around the island, playing follow the leader or playing custom races you have created.

I have a couple of gripes but nothing major. You cant ride or buy motorbikes till you have visited every dealer on the island (Use fold out map to find them all). Photomode and Custom races look like they arent available until you reach Pro level, unless I achieved something else without realising it.

If you love driving games as much as me, then I think you'll be happy with this. Very impressive game.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

How did you get your hands on the game? I thought it wasn't out till the end of this month.

Great review by the way :up:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:How did you get your hands on the game? I thought it wasn't out till the end of this month.

Great review by the way :up:
Cheers Grey. You can buy the game then come back and read it again to compare. :D <<<<= You know it.

I am in the UK and the game came out on Friday 8th as well as Dead Rising, but I couldnt afford that. £50 per game is a bit much. I did however, pick up sealed copies of PGR3 and PDZ for £10 each.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

look at his location :)

EDIT- I should've refreshed after reading the impressions.
thanks btw tomby, i'm not really a car nut so i'm undecided still.
Last edited by jizzlobber on 10 Sep 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I did however, pick up sealed copies of PGR3 and PDZ for £10 each.
Wallfuckings this week then TOMBY?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I wish mate, Im still liveless. Not net at my place of bode. Ive been coming to net cafes since Dec. Tomby am cry.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Indeed :(
Ram
NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT INTERNET 1.1

Post by Ram »

Im so looking foward to TDU
good review man
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

lol. Just noticed the sig. That doesn't go well with my tag.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

Great impressions, as usual Tomby :)

I just ordered this from play-asia. Now just have to wait for it to arrive in 7 to 10 days

This game is getting a lot of love and the online problems are being addressed soon with another handy xbl patch download
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

When's it out here? I'll be grabbing this one too I think.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yeah, I ordered the AU version. I'll get mine when I return from japan...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cool now you can buy Madden! No passing windows AND PAL XBL support!
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

Thanks tomby, sounds like everything I wanted it to be. :up:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yeah Spoony, thats what I thought when I heard about it, and it has lived up to the hype imo. Last night I unlocked a group of 'Expert' races with one of them called 'Tour of the Island' and its 190kms long, I shit you not. Would take roughly two hours to race going over no road twice and thats just for that race. To actually drive around the entire perimeter of the island would take longer for the fact that the race I just mentioned doesnt quite take you all the way around. Still, its huge.

The car missions, IE, returning a car to the rental agency, taking a car to be repaired etc, they weild big money and for once actually make me drive sensible just to try and get that $45k bonus for a perfect race. My stats say Ive earnt roughly $1million but lol, my speeding fines have equalled about $450k. Had some pearler tickets clocking in at $90k.

Oh, that reminds me of one problem. The cops are thick as shit. You can sped past them, run red lights etc and they won't look twice. However, once you hit a car then the APB goes out. Hit another while in a chase and the chances are they won't give up as easily. Ive had some mad chases lasting for over 30mins when I had about 3-4 cops after me plus roadblocks.

Last night I also bought my fourth car. I had been hanging out for a Lotus Espirit and it took me ages to find the dealer (You must have driven to locations once before you can warp directly there) so got tha, went to a custom paint shop then tuned the Espirit (Read: Bought more ponies for my baby) so its now classed a D3 instead of D. Its the fastest car I own atm, although Ive driven faster in some missions. I then purchased my second house. My first one is located in the heart of the city, my second one is located it the north about 500m from the beach. I had to buy a house as I couldnt fit anymore cars in the first house.

Lovin' this game.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

We can form a club, and we get our own club house. I am so in.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Not only that, you can create races and upload them at 'Diners' for xbl gamers to use online and each time they use them you get money.

Did that 'Tour of the Island' race, ends up that most of it is straights with only slight corners apart from a few windy bits but anyway, it only took me 52 mins in a wanked up class D car so thats not too bad.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I should have my copy in the next day or 2. looking forward to it. :)
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

The more I hear the more I want it. I want it. Why can’t I have it right now, huh?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I pre-ordered today, and got some DVD with the pre-order. Apparently it gives me some kind of exclusive car online or something?

Anyhow, I'll suss it out later and report.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I think it gives you the McLaren car...
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Hope not. The McLaren costs $1million and the GTR model $1.5million (In game of course) and that would give some players the unfair advantage online.
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

Looks like I might have to pick this up when it comes out. Can't be bother importing this close to it's local release.
Ram
NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT INTERNET 1.1

Post by Ram »

I got my copy today ,man the island is massive!.

There is a free download pack on the marketplace,you get the R34 Skyline and the Audi RS4 Quattro.You still have to buy them ingame tho,i bought the Skyline for 50k.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

I want to like this game, but based on the demo I'm not compelled by the actual racing mechanics. I love the idea of driving around on a massive island but if the racing is sub-par then what's the point?