Aussie Nintendo Wii Launch: Dec 7 / $399 AUS (OFFICIAL)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Post by Pat »

Joystiq is shit, IGN is shit, 1up is shit. I'll let you know when and whom you are allowed to trust at a later date. Edge is acceptable, however.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

You see, if you'd said from the get-go that it was a blog piece, rather than an article, then I'd have had no issue with him not doing or displaying his research. I was under the impression that it was an article written by a journalist - and I expect more from a professional working in his field, paid to, and expected to, do research and portray the facts in an unbiased light, than I do in some guy on the internet voicing his opinion.

As an aside, I don't care whether he, or any other consumer, forum poster, blogger, journalist, analyst, or company executive thinks that any machine will fail or succeed, or anything like that. The consumer is a strange and unpredictable beast, and I've no time for fortune-tellers.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

"i just wish they made some games where you fly around and shoot stuff, there aren't any games like that"

does that give you confidence in whatever else i say now? of course not, it reveals a complete lack of knowledge about the subject.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

As an aside, I don't care whether he, or any other consumer, forum poster, blogger, journalist, analyst, or company executive thinks that any machine will fail or succeed, or anything like that. The consumer is a strange and unpredictable beast, and I've no time for fortune-tellers.
He didn't say whether the machine would fail or succeed.

selfish, he didn't say anything about wishing they would make games like that, he just said he believes these kinds of games would be successful on the Wii. How many times am I going to have to say this...?
Pat

Post by Pat »

None, if you admit you love nintendo and state that $399 is a bargain. :D
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

You seemed to think that I believed this guy was predicting the Wii's failure. I was just simply clarifying my stance on predictions - I never expect anything of a prediction claim, positive or negative, accurate or inaccurate. I didn't see the blog poster making any success/failure claims in his post, but even if I had, I wouldn't pay them any attention.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Seraph wrote:As an aside, I don't care whether he, or any other consumer, forum poster, blogger, journalist, analyst, or company executive thinks that any machine will fail or succeed, or anything like that. The consumer is a strange and unpredictable beast, and I've no time for fortune-tellers.
I agree with you on that Seraph. I can't believe these people are making judgement calls on a system that isn't even out yet! Everybody was saying the same thing in regards to the DS, and look what happened there.

I'm not saying that the wii will be as succesful as the DS, but complaining about launch games is going a little far, don't you think? That means that we should all have a go at Sony for all launch games not being displayed in 1080p like they said their machine was capable of... It doesn't worry me that the PS3 wont do that just yet, cause the console is a long term purchase that, in a few years, will be at it's peak in terms of graphics/control, etc... I'd like to see how many launch PS3 games will utilize there fancy controller too! :up:
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

^ add me to that list, Vince and Seraph. You can't guess exactly what consumers will do. I was still working in games retail when the DS launched, and no-one thought it would do anywhere nearly as well as it did.

The November/December hardware sales charts will be... INTERESTING.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

so that means you'll agree with them then?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech

Post by mech »

Seraph wrote:You seemed to think that I believed this guy was predicting the Wii's failure. I was just simply clarifying my stance on predictions - I never expect anything of a prediction claim, positive or negative, accurate or inaccurate. I didn't see the blog poster making any success/failure claims in his post, but even if I had, I wouldn't pay them any attention.
Then, um, why bring it up?

Vince, not sure why you're getting all huffy about it, I see very few people predicting the Wii is going to fail, most people this gen are all about "wait and see" or that Wii will do really well. It's incredibly hard to predict what's going to happen. I was fairly sure Sony would do well last round and that Xbox would beat Gamecube, and that turned out to be the case. But this round? Who the hell knows, it's anybody's game. I think some people may have counted Sony out a little too quickly, but that happened last gen too :up:
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I never brought up failure or success of the system - only his failure to exhibit knowledge of the topic he was discussing.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Sorry mech, didn't mean to sound like that! :) I respect where you're coming from, and respect and listen to all your opinions. I agree with a lot of what you say on the wii too, believe it or not!

I think it's good to not always think the sun shines out of a consoles arse! These companies are there for our money, plain and simple. No need for anyone to be a fanboy, cause you're basically a slave if you follow Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony blindly. I'll buy all 3, eventually forming an opinion on 1 or 2 of them, and picking out my favourite! I have a strong feeling my favourite will be the PS3, but that wont be for a while yet...

Same with PS3. I'm dying for it to arrive cause i wanna play the games i know i love (god of war 3, silent hill 5 etc...). I seriously do think that the wii and PS3 will out sell (quite easily, IMO) the 360, but that's another debate that'll be had later! :D
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Each news source has shitty people that don't know what they're talking about and probably shouldn't be reviewing games. Thats why sites like gamerankings.com work so well.
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

Pat wrote:Joystiq is shit, IGN is shit, 1up is shit. I'll let you know when and whom you are allowed to trust at a later date. Edge is acceptable, however.
I miss game-fan :(
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
Texas
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

selfish wrote:so that means you'll agree with them then?
What, as in complementing the Wii launch? No, not really. I feel the price point is too high, especially if MS drops the 360 in October/November. It's a nice machine, with great potential, but will I rush out and get one? Nah, when I do step up to the Next Gen plate next year it will be swinging a 360. But, other things come first. Like a new TV, and A Macbook Pro.

I agree in saying that it is nigh on impossibel to predict what people will buy, with some obvious exceptions (GTA, etc)
Last edited by Texas on 20 Sep 2006 02:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Hands up if you remember Daily Radar :lol:
mech

Post by mech »

From Penny Arcade:
Saw an interesting editorial on the Wii by Game Informer's Billy Berghammer, where one can find frank language on Nintendo's hardware track record. We met Billy a few years ago when he was still running Planet Gamecube, and I have to stress that when I met the man, he was basically true blue Nintendo guy all the way. He's not some partisan out to score points for the "home team," or some Soviet dipshit like we've had to contend with recently. I sincerely doubt he enjoyed writing it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

That article by Billy Berghammer is a pretty interesting read. Makes some very good points about Nintendo's previous track record.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Rocco wrote:I know that was simply an attempted bait, but acting like an attention whore doesn’t excuse being a fucking dimwit, considering that was indeed a deliberate personal attack against me.

Eat shit! :down:
Hey,the 360 supports BC as does the PS2,the Wii and the PS3.

I remember when no consoles supported the Bi Curious so be thankful.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Finally, while Nintendo is touting one of the largest and most diverse launch line ups in the history of video games, the company will only have two first party games available at launch - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Excite Truck. Another launch with a new Mario title absent already makes me nervous. Seriously? Is this the N64 and GameCube all over again? Twilight Princess is beyond being a hardcore game, and while Wii Sports and the Virtual Console may suck in casual gamers, the depth and complexity of a Zelda title will terrify someone who just wants a little Wii Tennis or Donkey Kong. While I enjoyed Excite Truck at E3, I don’t see that becoming a monster hit any larger than Pilotwings 64 or Wave Race: Blue Storm was. With Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Smash Bros. Brawl all moving into the 2007 space, you can pretty much see all four of those games getting spread out to fill the entire 2007 year. If history repeats itself, that’s exactly what Nintendo will do. Mark my words.
THIS is the section i find the most salient from that article - how important is it to have Mario at launch? Worth delaying the launch? The DS had Mario at launch, even if it was just a port. Will the presence of VC Mario be enough?

And I fully expect Nintendo to spread their big titles out - any marketing student will tell you not to risk letting sales of one cannibalise the other. What they need is plenty of smaller titles to fill in the gaps. Not every game needs to be a masterpiece, but can Nintendo manage to pump out the goods?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I will be buying Super Mario World for my Wii.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For those not aware, Harvey Norman who very publicly slammed Nintendo a couple years back and dropped all Nintendo products from every Harvey Norman franchise Australia wide, has now come crawling back and is in desperate negotiations to get the DS & Wii into its stores by Christmas.

Obviously they realised they were losing a huge chunk of profit by not stocking Australia’s most popular and highest selling handheld system (DS), and also what is set to be the most wanted item this Christmas (Wii) :wink:.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Whoever does the wheeling and dealing for Harvey Norman video games is a dead set moron that has no clue.
They didn't stock the Xbox1 at first either, claiming that it would fail miserably, and that they'd stick to Sony and Nintendo only. They soon changed their tune on that.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Apparently these comments make me a homophobic bigot.
Cletus wrote:The last of the great original Nintendo games were made for the N64.

Since then their console games have been nothing to write home about...unless your a Zelda fan I suppose.

I'd be more inclined to think that Nintendo are aiming for the gay market this time around.They've almost given up on the kiddy market knowing full well that Zelda games only appeal to the bicurious and straight out homosexuals.

It's triple J all over again.It's as if being a manly man type bloke is criminal these days.

EDIT: I've been posting replies just trying to upset someone here for weeks and nothing.If this comment doesn't piss someone off I give up.
Cletus wrote:
Hey,the 360 supports BC as does the PS2,the Wii and the PS3.

I remember when no consoles supported the Bi Curious so be thankful.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Edit...no matter.Rocco can't delete the thread as he'd like to.