Aussie Nintendo Wii Launch: Dec 7 / $399 AUS (OFFICIAL)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Whoever does the wheeling and dealing for Harvey Norman video games is a dead set moron that has no clue.
They didn't stock the Xbox1 at first either, claiming that it would fail miserably, and that they'd stick to Sony and Nintendo only. They soon changed their tune on that.
They were also big supporters of the Dreamcast, the idiots!

:D

I used to love Harvey Norman back in the day. Got my Dreamcast on launch there. Played in a LAN there and won a free Voodoo3. They used to be cool, man.

Oh shit I just realised I got my 360 on launch from Harvey Norman too, ahahaha, why do I keep going back?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

For anyone else that is importing the Wii, DVDBoxOffice just opened their pre-orders with the Wii clocking in at $279.95CAD. Shipping is a bit exxy though, to WA I'm looking at around $100CAD.

edit:

I've been wondering too, does anyone know how the Retro controller is going to be corded? I see that it is corded, but is it going to use USB or the GameCube control ports on the top of the system?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Cletus wrote:Apparently these comments make me a homophobic bigot.
Cletus wrote:The last of the great original Nintendo games were made for the N64.

Since then their console games have been nothing to write home about...unless your a Zelda fan I suppose.

I'd be more inclined to think that Nintendo are aiming for the gay market this time around.They've almost given up on the kiddy market knowing full well that Zelda games only appeal to the bicurious and straight out homosexuals.

It's triple J all over again.It's as if being a manly man type bloke is criminal these days.

EDIT: I've been posting replies just trying to upset someone here for weeks and nothing.If this comment doesn't piss someone off I give up.
Cletus wrote:
Hey,the 360 supports BC as does the PS2,the Wii and the PS3.

I remember when no consoles supported the Bi Curious so be thankful.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

oh lordie...
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well, my Wii order so far isn't any cheaper than buying locally (well maybe a touch) but I'll at least have it earlier!

With 4 games and the Wii I'm totalling $780au so far, so around $400 for the Wii, and $95 a pop for the games. Getting it shipped via DHL, which is the only method I could go and what bumped up the price a bit.

I still want to order Excite Truck & Trauma Centre though, but neither of them are up for pre-order yet. And I'll also need to order a component cable..

Ohwell, I'm on board!! :up: 19th seems a weird date to launch on though, a Sunday??
Pat

Post by Pat »

What games did you order?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I'm getting;
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • Zelda
  • Elebits
  • Super Monkey Ball
I don't know much about Elebits and I'm a little skeptical of SMB's control, but I'll give them a chance!
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

If the masses really buy into the whole wii controller, I hope nintendo don't neglect the old franchises the fans expect to see.

I've never really bought a nintendo console for third party titles so much as nintendo games. The "gathering dust" is due to the fact that if they did milk a title each year, people might actually grow sick of it. It's the tomb raider effect where people expect a formula over again but do not get impressed because it becomes more of the same.

The whole point of branching out is to hopefully encourage more developers to attempt new things while not having the excuse that the feature is merely the gimmick for the peripheral. Since now the controller is a standard of the system. But it's all up to how deep the game truly is with that controller that will determine how effective having a motion sensing controller will be to the average joe, or the guy who has gotten sick of games that are just more of the same.

If Wii kept the name "revolution" it would kind of remind people of what the point of making games use a different controller was all about. (ie trying to change a gamer's method of controlling thier character/camera/guided shot/guided action with less buttons and more intuitive actions.)

The fishing in the zelda videos for example looks like a lot of fun the way it is used. That's the kind of thing that an average joe might look at you while playing the game and think "hey that looks pretty easy to get into" and want to have a go because it is immediately understandable from the start. (no button mapping or learning curve hurdle for them)

It doesn't necessrily mean it takes less skill or intelligence to control something, just means that they can now concentrate on the skill it takes to be good at the game without being confused. In a FPS you still guide your shot with your hand, in a weapons based melee combat game you still have to deflect a blow or aim for specific point on a target. So as long as they don't "dumb down" the gameplay of something and keep the depth and skill needed to succeed in a game then I think the controls will be fine so long as developers tweak them to perfection for all skill levels. (for example I have heard they added expert mode to metroid to make it good for more advanced players)

If it can get people back into gaming without necessarily alienating the hardcore, I can see it succeeding.

What I want to see though is either a new attempt at a motion sensing Strider game (remember him?) or a Castlevania game in proper 3d environment with arcadey controls and true 3d targetting with no lock on. Preferably castlvania epic action RPG because of the theme using magic spells to exploit enemy weaknesses, which would work well with a wand type controller, and the use of melee weapons to decapitate a zombie or undead creature like a vamp to properly kill it. (the whole "sword and gun" action genre should be an obvious thing they could exploit. I'm not a fan of being a mechanic or a surgeon :D But staking a vampe with a thrusting motion to get him in the heart sounds more fun. So long as you can adjust sensitivity to the control so you don't look like a retard playing the game and wrecking the place around you to control the character)

The stuff about using you hand in 3d space to interact with objects: I think if nintendo are going to make an animal crossing game for wii I would love to be able to use the controller in a fps mode in a town and actually open doors, close drawers, pick up objects, write a letter, fish, pick fruit from tree, maybe even drive a vehicle, moving furniture, sorting items just using the motion sensing controller. What nintendo ultimately needs is an adventure game where pulling levers, moving blocks, sorting inventory and just generally direct control over objects you find (like a stick or a hammer) is more fun than pressing a button. (and where merely pushing the button is not representative of what you want the character to do in the game environment - so in a RPG where you are making a weapon and hammering it, you would really need to demonstrate actual skill in how you hold and bang the the thing against the anvil, or in a hunting sim you would shoot at something but have to keep your hand really steady to guide the shot. (no lock on like in metroid, and the animals move around a lot and your characters feet effect the aim if you try moving around and stuff)

If they make a game where almost every single thing you do requires that controller then I will be happy.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Dammit, now Excite Truck comes up for order... time to email...
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

As of tonight, I'm on the Wii-Wagon with a pre-order at EB.

Ya! mule!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Oh hey Yoshi Sonic :)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

asl?
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

does EB have a similar preorder thing to Toys R Us?
mech

Post by mech »

I doubt it. Do EB EVER have good deals on launch?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Not really although the free game 360 deal sydney people got was good. But that wasn't really eb's doing, just ms pr's idea to get more peeps coming to the midnight launch.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:I doubt it. Do EB EVER have good deals on launch?
No.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Pat wrote:
mech wrote:Do EB EVER have good deals?
No.
Fixed.
mech

Post by mech »

That's what I originally wrote, but I have picked up the odd bargain there during the sales.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

from that far cry interview:
GN Wii: The Wii has been described as more powerful than the original Xbox, but not as powerful as Xbox 360. What type of visuals can we expect from the Wii version of Far Cry?

Fabrice Cuny: Overall the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, even if the Xbox can do some stuff that the Wii can't. But remember the Wii is more focused on its unique gameplay using the Wii controller and not on power. We can expect a game as beautiful as what we used to see on Xbox.
ouch
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Far Cry for Wii looks pretty ugly from what I've seen @ IGN.
I know I asked before too, but I'm curious, does anyone know how the retro controller connects up? via usb or the gamecube ports?
SythBlade
i just want to be accepted

Post by SythBlade »

From every thing i've seen it connects to the main remote. just like the nunchuck .

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Overall the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, even if the Xbox can do some stuff that the Wii can't. But remember the Wii is more focused on its unique gameplay using the Wii controller and not on power. We can expect a game as beautiful as what we used to see on Xbox.
Now one more time, but through the Candy Arse PR translator...
Look, even though you're paying a next-gen entry fee, we won't be able to deliver graphics that even the original Xbox could output. But hey, graphics don't matter anymore, right? S'all about the gameplay, bitches!
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

wow that's pretty fucking cool
the wiredlessness of the classic controller
not at all what i expected
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I don't like the look of it though, analogue location isn't good.
your thumbs want to point up when holding a pad, not across/down.