New Motorstorm Screenshots

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

mxlegend99 wrote:Infact, the Xbox 360 version allowed both AA and HDR at the same time. The 360 version required a crack to have the same feature. Obviously it was designed around the 360 hardware as much if not more then PC hardware. :)
This is more due to the way Nvidia works, you see Nvidia works closely with developers often helping them out or paying them for marketing, and as a result they often have the devs make the game tailored to their video cards. The reason I'm telling you this is because the latest Nvidia cards cannot do proper HDR and AA at the same time, while the latest PC ATI cards can, so if the devs had let you run AA + HDR at the same time on ATI chipsets then Nvidia would've gotten angry.. This is why in the end it was upto third parties to do 5 minutes of work and get AA + HDR working (Wasn't it ATI themselves that did it in the drivers? I don't recall).

That's got nothing to do with the engine or game design and everything to do with Bethesda's relationship with Nvidia in the PC arena.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Just looked it up and yep, Oblivion is a TWIMTBP(The Way It's Meant To Be Played) game, which means Nvidia worked closely with Bethesda and or paid them for marketing within the game.

This basically means that the devs would be incurring a huge risk of losing Nvidias backing if they officialy supported things that the Nvidia cards cannot do.

Ofcourse this is only he PC arena so they were free to take advantage of this feature in the ATI chip in the 360 unlike the ATI chips available to the PC market.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

The fact is they were created alongside each other. If they weren't willing to make ATi Video Cards capable of HDR + AA at the same time, and they were able to implement it for the Xbox 360 with no worries, it tells me that they were created alongside each other... and since the 360 is never going to have an Nvidia card... it's not going to need the feature removed.

They were released together... and the 360 version had features the PC version didn't (5.1 Surround Sound and AA+HDR). The Xbox 360 version is no more a port then the PC version is a port of the 360 version. The fact of the matter is that it makes poor use of multiple cores/threads. It would be the fastest port ever if they managed to continuously have the Xbox 360 version at the same point in development as the PC version.

edit
The entire development cycle, both the PC and 360 version were as complete as each other. They were created together. They didn't create the PC version then port it to Xbox 360 and decide to add AA+HDR... or vice versa create the Xbox 360 version and then remove those features. They were built alongside each other.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

No, infact MOST dev houses have a PC version of their game running at the same time as the console counterparts, and it never gets released (never polished either, which oblivion was obviously).

The 5.1 thing and AA + HDR thing are explainable by the PC arena and how it's different to consoles, I allready explained AA + HDR but for the sound it probably has something to do with the vast vast majority of the sound card manufacturers not supporting DD 5.1 encoding, which could bring their wrath upon you for including it if they are working with you.

Seriously, the game has PC port written all over it.

Edit - You realise it was extra work to disable AA + HDR together on the PC yeah? By default they would've just been 2 options you can turn on, but to keep Nvidia happy they would've had to make 1 cancel out the other.

ATI had it working ridiculously fast after the release of the game because it's a simple feature on their graphics cards, but they didn't sponsor the production of this game like Nvidia so they didn't have it in by default.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

The game was always at the same stage in production as the PC version. It was created alongside it. It was planned for PC and XBox 360 from the very beginning, and created accordingly. The game was not ported. The game plays just aswell on the Xbox 360... and the menu's even navigate better IMO.

The fact that the Xbox 360 has 512mb RAM to split between Video and System usage is the sole reason that the game runs slower then a high end PC. A PC with 1gig of RAM and a 256mb/512mb Video card is obviously going to have an advantage in a game like this. Play it on a 3.2Ghz PC with 512mb RAM and 128mb Video... it wouldn't even be playable.

The game doesn't scream PC port at all, the only problem is the limited RAM IMO. WIth all the things you can alter in game and the fact moving an object or dropping an object means it stays that way... the RAM and Hard Drive cache fill up extremely quick.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

The framerate, which has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM, is dogs balls in any town.

That screams PC port.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Sonic Jam wrote:The framerate, which has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM, is dogs balls in any town.

That screams PC port.
:lol: No, it has nothing to do with RAM :roll:

There's a lot more going on in Oblivion then what's directly on the screen. The hard drive effects the framerate as the cache fills up, likewise the RAM effects it as 512mb shared between Video/System RAM is not a lot for a game like this. A PC gets to stream EVERYTHING off the Hard Drive with a lot more RAM.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

It doesn't have anything to do with ram, the game is just an average port.

Seriously with 1 character on screen in any given town the framerate can be as low as 15fps.

It's not loading much or streaming much just standing still looking at a single person, slowing down to a crawl.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Look ok I'm seriously over it, I can't do this with you it just makes my head hurt.

I put up reason after reason after reason, and prove your claims (like launch, multi threading, aa + hdr, etc) wrong and you refuse to budge an inch.

This is my last post in this thread. Good bye.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The recent update fixed up a lot of the framerate issues imo, and almost completely removed the constant loading and pausing while travelling outdoors. I'm not sure if it's totally a pc port though, the original morrowind on xbox sold reasonably well and the ui is very console friendly, pc users complain it too consolised. I think the console version was considered a lot during development, but primary development was probably focused on pc's especially since final 360 kits came pretty late in the products dev cycle. I would think the next es game is even more geared to consoles because of the great sales it's had on 360.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Goodbye. The fact of the matter still remains, THe 360 version had MORE features and was created alongside the PC version. Being created alongside it rather then being optimised for the 360 exclusively, does not make it a port.

A port is moving a game from one platform to another. And tyically, REMOVING features to do so, or lowering the quality. Given the PC version of Oblivion out of the box looks worse then the 360 version... until you tweak stuff and replace textures etc. It's really pointless saying that the 360 version is a port. If anything, the low rez textures and skimped game on PC is the port.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Yeah Mx, and Mario 64 on DS isn't a port either :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

So they made that game 10 years ago alongside the N64 version did they?

It would explain why the game feels dated. Although sadly, it's a different scenario with Oblivion. Sorry to dissapoint.

PS.
My account was deleted totally. 5000+ posts all gone :( Oh well, at the rate im going today, in 40 days i'll have that here :P
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

mxlegend99 wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:It didn't sell because people like you have shit taste in games and so they buy the latest Tony Hawk port instead.
No way dude I spent more money on games I don't play, you like totally suck, no like really man you are the biggest sucker who sucks because you don't own as much stuff than me. Like totally.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

WOW that post was late
this place moves fast
i like that
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard