New laws target modchip users

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

luro

New laws target modchip users

Post by luro »

source
Users of modchipped gaming consoles could face fines of thousands of dollars when new copyright protection laws are introduced this year by the Federal Government.

The new laws, which were released in draft form last week, are being introduced to honour Australia's free trade agreement obligations with the US, and will effectively prohibit the use of devices and services designed to circumvent copy control technological protection measures (TPMs).

Until now, it has only been illegal to distribute or sell services or devices seeking to disable or override copy control technologies, but now users of such tools will also fall foul of the law once the legislation is introduced later this year.

Anyone found to have used technology to circumvent copy control TPMs will face fines of up to $6600, while those guilty of distributing enabling devices and services to others through a variety of means face imprisonment for up to five years and possible fines of $60,500.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I've got to say, I reckon the xbox (not 360) is probably gonna be the last console I mod anyway. Online gaming is probably one of the best cures for console piracy ever.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

I am half way through writing a major essay on intellectual property right laws and the negative ramifications these laws have to society and culture.

This shit pisses me off!! :evil:
:rock:
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Timbo wrote:I've got to say, I reckon the xbox (not 360) is probably gonna be the last console I mod anyway. Online gaming is probably one of the best cures for console piracy ever.
Probably the same here - unless it's the only way to go region free. If I had region free machines with 100% region free games there would be no reason to mod.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

pilonv1 wrote:
Timbo wrote:I've got to say, I reckon the xbox (not 360) is probably gonna be the last console I mod anyway. Online gaming is probably one of the best cures for console piracy ever.
Probably the same here - unless it's the only way to go region free. If I had region free machines with 100% region free games there would be no reason to mod.
Ditto on that, remove the region coding, remove my reason for console modding.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

we'll that pretty much seals the deal not to take a modded box anyway near skynet!

Who's taking bets on the PS3 being easily soft modable?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I've haven't really been a console/pc pirate since way back in the Megadrive/SNES days, as I just see no point in having a heap of games I'll never play, but yet I can't agree with these laws.

They used to say that piracy was killing the games market way back in the C64 days, and boy, that piracy sure did kill the market. :roll:

Anyhow, for devices that have legitimate purposes of getting around illegal region locking and allowing creative homebrew on hardware people own, to be made illegal due to their allowing of piracy just smacks of big business getting in the ears of lawmakers.

It just sickens me that the government and the courts can outlaw what should be a legitimate and legal product at the whim of big business. It scares me actually.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I blame large american corporations controling their gov which then controls our gov.

This law is fucking ridiculous, so I should pay $6600 if I want to use XBMC?
Pat

Post by Pat »

I only want the ability to play any game from any region. That way we dont have to pay exhorbitant prices.

Also, good luck on getting everyone with modded consoles. I can see that working. :rolleyes:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

This is just a consequence of that shitty free trade agreement. Which looking at it now, was a shitty deal for aussies cause we now have these draconian laws being pushed onto us. Somehow i see the FTA as just a way for America to push themselves onto us further. :down:
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

lestat wrote:Somehow i see the FTA as just a way for America to push themselves onto us further. :down:
Thats the whole point of it.
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Just asked the Ex about this, she's a lawyer. She says it's just like the laws that make it 'illegal' to record TV shows or use an iPod, unless you are making SERIOUS money from it they won't really care. Add to that the legal precedence that has already been set in the modchip area and it will be a tricky case to prosecute.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I hope there's no police raids, we'd have a hard time flushing our modded Xboxes down the toilet in a pinch.

I agree with everyone on the region-free point. Homebrew stuff's cool and all, but I really wouldn't bother with a chip if I could play games from any region. I'm not all that interested in online gaming, but obviously a lot of people are, and like Timbo said that's got to be changing people's minds about modding.
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

I modded all the consoles I could, just so I could get games from overseas, quickly. Don't give a rats about getting games for nothing anymore. i never played them much anyway.
If the game was worth my money - I always parted with the cash, even though I could get it for nothing.

Make all consoles and games region free, and we will all be better off. I think Microsoft are onto a good thing with the 360 region coding. just need all the publishers to start making their games region free.