Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Should I buy a PSP?

Post by Twit »

I haven’t had any handhelds for awhile – don’t normally get much use out of them, but I’m back working again and have some spare money. The 360 line-up is dotted with a few titles that I’m keen on, but I was contemplating a PSP to fart around with while watching the cricket or something.

Is it worth it? Is it good for a casual pick up and play or is it too much stuffing around and slow loading or pissweak controls or something? Am I too late to the party and better off waiting for whatever’s next? I’m not interested in using it for movies or music or any of that shit. I also hate Sony lately, even though I recently bought a Bravia TV (I’m still capable of switching into consumer whore mode when required).

I’m thinking of simple games like EveryWhatever Golf, GenericRacer, Sumfucken Tennis, and that CommanderStrategyThing that looks like a cross between Advance Wars and MechAssault. Should I get the racist white one?

HUH??!?!
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

My opinion - don't bother. I had the machine when it first came out and while today I still see it as being a brilliant piece of hardware, it simply isn't worth the outlay (unless you really want those games listed, in which case go for it). Load times are fairly long on most games but if you put it to sleep rather than turn it off each time then they are not an issue.

If you get one, go for the white. Black looks better (IMO) but those fingerprints are a pain to keep off the machine. They really get dirty (with prints) very quickly so you need to clean it non-stop. If you are still unsure, you could always buy a pre-owned PSP to save some cash although with the screen so sensitive, you would really want to check it out before purchase (read: I would get new myself).
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I <3 my PSP. So many good games for it, and so easy to mod and put emu stuff and canadian games on there (if you're so inclined). I own the most games out of ANY previous console/platform I've owned on PSP.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I had one, sold it and I don't miss it. My advice is to wait until they bring out this PSX emulation and it might be too hard to refuse by then anyway and should be cheaper (maybe).
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I bought one recently and love it. Astounding device. Laboured over colour choice for a while and went with black as it looks a lot better. IMO a black surround for that stunning screen serves the visuals better too.
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

Getting better for emulators but not quite there just yet:

Large CPS/neogeo roms requires caching causing slight lag when it needs to load stuff.
No sound on the larger neogeo roms.
MD/SNES almost full speed but not full screen.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Damnit, I'm the world's stupidliest implusive purchaser sometimes. Not long after I posted this thread I left work, stopped at the shops on the way to my car just to browse, and walked out with the white supremist version and a few games.

Thanks for the advice though - it is very useful for me to consider in hindsight after having gone ahead and acted without thinking anyway.

So...uh, what are the must haves for casual pick up and play gaming? ie. Nothing too complex. I have Outrun, that Massive Assault sorta Commander thing, and Every Golfness.

Ooh...better go plug it in.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Lumines, Katamari, Exit.

Gitarooman Lives next month, Every Extend Extra on import, Ultimiate G'n'G is out too. Gripshift is an acquired taste.

Oh.

LOCO ROCO.
mech

Post by mech »

You need Lumines. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Yeah, Loco Roco.

Daxter's alright if you like Jak and Daxter, although I'm not totally feeling the platform love.

Burnout and Ridge Racers are both a hell of a lot of fun.

And if you like Wipeout, Wipeout Pure is one of the best versions in recent years.

I've got copies of Capcom Classics and UGnG lying around, should really try them when I get a moment free...
mech

Post by mech »

Oh yeah, Lumines 2 is just around the corner, and although the track list has been bagged, on the 1up podcast they said it was HEAPS better than Lumines, which was surprising.

Can't go wrong with Lumines 1 though, I couldn't stop playing it, and when I wasn't playing it, I was mentally figuring out block patterns, it was crazy (but fun).
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I did the same mech with lumines! Kept on mentally picturing the shapes falling and placing them in the right positions! Brilliant, brilliant game! Best puzzle game ever. I highly recommend a PSP, if only for the 2 Mega Man games re-made! Classic games made even better!
I love my PSP, especially in the white i have looks beautiful. :)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I have Loco Roco and Wipeout Pure so far. Both stunning games. :)
Filth_Wizard

Post by Filth_Wizard »

So Ultimate G'n'G is out eh? I've been keeping an eye out but hadn't seen it, time to give my PSP a dust off :up:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I have:

Burnout: Legends
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Lumines (I suck so much at this :( )
Wipout Pure

They're all fantastic games. There's so many games I want though, but so little money :(

Everybody's Golf
Field Commander
Daxter
Syphon Filter
Tekken

and in the future:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Plus there's heaps more I can't remember at the moment :redface:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

DS is better.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:DS is better.
:up: True!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Everybody's golf is kinda fun (but I tend to like golf games anyway, because I'm dull). Is there a Worms on this? I need a Worms. And a tennis game.

DS is better.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

i want a psp to play wipeout on
can anyone lend me one for a while?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Get Loco Roco.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. No way I'd pay 400 bucks for what's basically just a PS2 Turbo.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

:lol: :lol: seraph is on FIAH!!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Except it's more like a 2-stroke PS2
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Does it produce more noxious emissions?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Twit wrote:Everybody's golf is kinda fun (but I tend to like golf games anyway, because I'm dull). Is there a Worms on this? I need a Worms. And a tennis game.

DS is better.
Virtua Tennis World Tour is apparently rather magnificent. I've had a bash in-store and it was just as fun as any other VT. Very likely my next PSP game purchase. Review below...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

Virtua Tennis isn't that great, very buggy for the single player.