Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

sony even more fucked

Post by selfish »

MORE battery recalls
Toshiba is latest to be affected by Sony-produced notebook batteries. The company announced on Monday that it would recall 340,000 batteries found in its Dynabook and Satellite series notebooks -- 100,000 of which were sold in the United States.

It should be noted that this recall doesn't involve batteries catching fire as in previous recalls. Instead, this recall is related to the battery packs unexpectedly losing power under normal operating conditions. Toshiba says that the affected batteries were produced between March and May of 2006 and free replacements will be offered. Yahoo! Finance reports:

The series of production problems at Sony comes at a crucial time when the Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment company behind the Walkman portable player and PlayStation video game machines has been trying to bolster its brand image under the leadership of its first foreign executive, Welsh-born Howard Stringer.

This latest recall from Toshiba brings the total Sony battery count to more than 6 million following the 1.8 million recalled by Apple and the 4.1 million recalled by Dell.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Makes you wonder if the lithium ion batteries used in psp's are affected too.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

6 million faulty batteries? Holy crap. Seriously, how does that sort of thing happen?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Happens all the time, every single Segway ever got recalled the other day.

But yes, Sony is pretty damn screwed with this battery issue atm.
Pat

Post by Pat »

<checks manufacturer for battery in DS>
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

It just boggles the mind, that a production line can output over 6 million faulty products and it's not picked up on.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Something Sony's executive team have undoubtedly pondered at length. Imagine the heat under the manger responsible for notebook battery manufacture.
Pat

Post by Pat »

They willfully ignored the [] button on PSP ...
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's odd that some PSTwos don't play all PS2 games...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Apparently the knew about it seraph, they just thought the large metal particles that contaminated the batteries were not gonna be a problem or would likely manifest into a problem. That's until people discovered it could lead to the batteries exploding. It's a risk they took a costly one and they're very lucky no one has been killed by it. Otherwise they'd be in a huge amount of shit.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Makes you feel so much more confident about PS3 build quality, doesnt it.
mech

Post by mech »

No company is immune to this kind of stuff - how about Microsoft and their massive recall of Xboxes/sending out new power adapters? It's fucked for the company in question, an obscure, innate flaw means they have to spend millions or billions of dollars redoing the whole lot. What a nightmare. Heads would be rolling in the battery section of Sony I'd imagine.
Pat

Post by Pat »

"obscure, innate flaw" ???

It's certainly not innate to the technology involved, plus they apparently knew about it.
mech

Post by mech »

Hey? Easy there Pat.

Innate in the sense that it was in their design, and not a production flaw. And I was talking in general, not in particular to this case. Although in this case it WAS obscure in the sense that it happened incredibly infrequently, but hey.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I thought it was a contamination issue?
mech

Post by mech »

Jesus, this stuff sounds damn dangerous, if they knew about it and the potential for user harm, it's very irresponsible to not have done anything:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 201115.php
Pat

Post by Pat »

Tonight at Six: "BluRay diode triggers runaway chain reaction. Product recall a possibility."
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

selfish wrote:Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that.
:rollin:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Pat wrote:Tonight at Six: "BluRay diode triggers runaway chain reaction. Product recall a possibility."
Shit. They're on to us. Just act cool, man. 8)
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Something Sony's executive team have undoubtedly pondered at length. Imagine the heat under the manger responsible for notebook battery manufacture.
Yeah, they'll probably have to promote him out of the way.
mech wrote:No company is immune to this kind of stuff - how about Microsoft and their massive recall of Xboxes/sending out new power adapters?
I was quite impressed with MS on that one. Wasn’t it something completely pissy – like some dickhead left their box on for 42 years in one hit and the power supply brick got…oh my god…hot! I never bothered with a replacement for my original Xbox because I’d bought a new one and modded it – the old one was just sitting around. The new ones didn’t have the problem and I never left it on for days anyway. But Microsoft tracked me down, cornered me in an alley, and forced me to accept a new power supply (they sent one to me after I failed to respond to any of their letters).
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Haha. Same. The suckers wouldn't leave me alone. I finally accepted their replacement cord just to shut them up. Pretty impressive work from MS there.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: Imagine the heat under the manger responsible for notebook battery manufacture.
Nah, promotion and payrise certain.