View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 May 2017 04:39 am



Reply to topic  [ 1339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Rate the last game you finished 
Author Message
unregistered
unregistered
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:52 am
Posts: 9361
Location: Wollongong, NSW
Gamertag: blood guIch
PSN ID: can't remember
Doom isn't as good.


30 Jan 2017 07:53 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 18487
I need to play this campaign in that case, because Doom really blew me away.


30 Jan 2017 08:10 pm
Profile
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 6797
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
I agree that Titanfall 2's campaign was better than Doom's.

And I loved Doom.

_________________
Image


30 Jan 2017 08:16 pm
Profile
unregistered
unregistered
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:52 am
Posts: 9361
Location: Wollongong, NSW
Gamertag: blood guIch
PSN ID: can't remember
I should make it clear, Doom was good but it didn't blow me away.
Is different, doom is a modern version of an old style game (executed about as good as possible)... Titanfall 2 is a modern game.


30 Jan 2017 08:49 pm
Profile
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
Battleborn
Finished the main campaign last night. I played through the whole thing solo.
I enjoyed it. The gunplay was decent. The planning with using the drones and turrets was cool. The bosses were well designed.
A lot of the tongue in cheek humour was awful though. Totally cringey and eye-rolling.
I played through the whole campaign as Oscar Mike (the standard marine guy with guns and grenades).

I've tried a little of the multi. I managed to get into the training 3 player V bots a couple of times, and it seemed ok.
I haven't managed to get into any regular multi games. The population on the XBone seems very low, with long wait times. Maybe if/when it goes F2P it will help?
(Shrug) - I've kicked off a few me and bots V total bot team, just to try out a few of the other characters, and there is some nice variety among the characters. I will definitely try them all at some point.

The overall game structure feels a lot more like Destiny than Overwatch.

It's a shame Randy Pitchford is such a dick to the game community. This game has potential, and I really feel like this game deserves better.
7/10

_________________
ALCOHOL FUELED VIOLENCE
Image


01 Mar 2017 10:55 am
Profile
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Wow. What an amazing world Nintendo have created here. The biggest draw for me is just the massive world to explore. I really enjoyed the vast expanses and the variety of the world. The massive open empty spaces didn't bother me at all - I thought it just made the world seem even more vast, and discoveries even more enjoyable. I also enjoyed finding groups of baddies to kill, and I often found what I consider to be cool loot. The shrines and dungeons were mostly excellent. Hyrule field and castle were superb.
Spoiler: show
Killing Guardians was very satisfying.


It's fantastic just to lay on the couch and explore the world. So many times I completely went way off track of the main quest, and just went off on weird tangents, and it was always fun. The Switch says I've played for over 60 hours, and it just flew by. At no point did I ever wonder to myself how long I had left to go.

This game is superb. One of the best games of the last 5 years. It will win GOTY awards and rightly so, but as much as I enjoyed this game, I don't understand the 10/10's from every journalist.
There are irritations and annoyances in the game that shouldn't be there and there were small sections of the game that were very annoying.
Also, another Zelda game that ends
Spoiler: show
with no super happy, upbeat, "ewok dance" with the different races celebrating the downfall of Ganon.


Not GOAT. Not better than OOT. Not 10/10. Still amazing.
9/10

_________________
ALCOHOL FUELED VIOLENCE
Image


19 Mar 2017 03:17 pm
Profile
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
Horizon Zero Dawn

Well, that was just fucking sensational.
Without a doubt, far and away the best story ever in a videogame. They could very easily make a fantastic sci-fi film out of this.

The only complaint is the way they push the story along sometimes. Sometimes there are very long sections of storytelling, with not much game during those parts. I just wish they could have broken that up a little bit more. Also, I'm not really a fan of dialogue wheels.

But, that overworld, the characters, the loot, the weapon and outfit variety and loadouts, those enemies, the combat - all ridiculously good. This is also without question the best archer gameplay in a videogame. First time bow and arrow felt so smooth and natural, and not awkward and clunky at all. And how about that synthetic sound when blasting important chunks off the dino-robots? WOW!

My save game says 42 hours. Howlongtobeat says the game is 19 hours. And I only did a handful of sidequests. I must have fucked around in the world a lot. lol.

9/10

_________________
ALCOHOL FUELED VIOLENCE
Image


05 Apr 2017 06:55 am
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2588
I only stopped Horizon Zero Dawn because Mass Effect game out. I have loved what I played though.. and I will definitely go back to it because I know that there is something amazing about to happen with the story :D


05 Apr 2017 08:51 am
Profile
Dot Eater
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:05 pm
Posts: 3938
Very long sections of storytelling? Dialogue wheels?

All it needs are some QTEs, and we've got the holy trinity of pissing me off when I'm trying to enjoy a game.


05 Apr 2017 02:48 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2006 09:05 am
Posts: 2027
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!!
Slightly late to the party, but I finish Inside. Creepy little game where in I had no idea what was happening. The last section of the game where you sort of find out what's going on is phenomenal. I really really enjoyed this game. Really enjoyed it! I think it's better than Limbo (although I'm yet to finish that, but it's on the list)! Still can't quite figure out exactly what happened but I do have some theories. Gorgeous game. Plays exquisitely and is ultra violent considering the protagonist is a kid! An easy 10/10.


05 Apr 2017 04:37 pm
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18266
Location: 4215
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Platinumed this tonight, so I guess you could say it was great. Probably the only open world game I've 100% although I have come close (Hello Sleeping Dogs). The story was actually really good although a little slow to start. Enjoyed some of the character building, combat was great once you've unlocked all the skills but it was a long grind. Clocked in a total of 78hrs although most of that has been the last two weekends.

8.5 times I was stuck in the geometry out of 10

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


16 Apr 2017 06:08 pm
Profile WWW
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
Nier Automata

The bad.
I played on the PS4, and the frame rate was atrocious. Textures that belong in last gen.
The game had ridiculous difficulty spikes at weird parts of the game.
The boss battles were boring. The graphics and open world were also terribly boring.

The good.
The robots themselves are kind of cool and 2B’s character design is phenomenal.

I have no idea about the multiple play through endings. Why would I push myself through this game again when it's boring and a chore to play? I just couldn't be bothered.
I only forced myself to push through to the first ending because I knew I was close.

I'm at a complete loss to understand the hype, and even more so at people claiming this is the most important game of the year, generation or whatever. Complete nonsense.

My first ever EB 7 day rental and thank goodness for that. Persona5 is far, far better already.

6/10

_________________
ALCOHOL FUELED VIOLENCE
Image


17 Apr 2017 04:19 pm
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18266
Location: 4215
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Sounds shit.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered.

Never played the original, in fact out of all the SCUMM games I've only ever played and completed Maniac Mansion (C64) and Sam & Max Hit the Road (486 PC looool). I used a guide for this one and just ploughed through it in one sitting as I needed a distraction. I can appreciate the game, the graphics have had a nice overhaul and can imagine it was a big deal when it came out with all the voice work (Soundblaster 16?). Some of the puzzles though, sheesh it would've been an outstanding achievement to finish this without a guide as some of the puzzles are not exactly common sense. Still, great game and I look forward to the release of Full Throttle this week.

8 batteries in a labcoat breast pocket out of 10

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


17 Apr 2017 04:31 pm
Profile WWW
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
Marathoning video games is probably one of your better options right now tomby. Take it easy mate.


17 Apr 2017 04:36 pm
Profile
didn't like his last rank.
User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2010 11:25 am
Posts: 3525
Twiztid Elf wrote:
I'm at a complete loss to understand the hype, and even more so at people claiming this is the most important game of the year, generation or whatever. Complete nonsense.


Understanding the undeserving hype is really simple. 8)

Nier Automata was released around the same time as Legend of Zelda: BOTW. Concurrently, BOTW had been crowned one of the best video games ever made.

Thus the blood of Sony fanboys around the world began to boil - and they all joined forces to over-hype the fuck out of Nier Automata (another open world game being released around the same time as BOTW) - to compensate for their inability to experience the magic of BOTW. :cry:


17 Apr 2017 04:36 pm
Profile
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6421
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
I understand your point, and there may be some truth to it, but Sony has Horizon ZD anyhow which actually is up there with Zelda in quality. So hyping NA seems unnecessary.


17 Apr 2017 04:40 pm
Profile
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:14 pm
Posts: 12219
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AU
I think it is called having different tastes. I can't understand why people like realistic racing sims over Mario Kart. I would rather play a game where I can bump people off the track on rainbow road using a heavy Kart and fuck up their racing lines with bannana peels than pretend I am a professional race car driver who has to worry about boring stuff like safety and rules. Same with realistic sports sims. Dull. EA makes those.

Also I don't get why the hype for Metal Gear Solid games. Yes the guy making them is a genuis but the story overtakes the fun imo and gameplay wise the games are average. I understand that it gave us the cinematic game experience but interest drops if you don't care about the story or characters.

But having said this I am a far Cry fanboy. Love the general gameplay but couldn't care less if it even has a story lol. They could just call it killing things in the wild and I would buy it so long as the gameplay is good. Some people value different things about different games.
I like immersion in my RPG games for instance and if the world is boring as fuck I don't care about how interesting you think the characters are. I want to feel like the place is worth the time to explore it and has hidden things that feel unique to use when found. (suikoden is perfect example because it adds replayability when you choose who to put in the party)
Other people get pissed that the characters are not interesting but to me open world games make up for it if the world itself is loaded with places that tell a story as you go through them. The money should go towards making the world interesting and highly descriptive through imagery, sounds, and music not just dialogue. Movies like Mad Max 2 had very little talking and that's what I want in my games. In movies there is a rule that you "SHOW don't TELL" and the reason for that is to keep people from faling asleep. In games the rule should be "MYSTIFY, don't BORE" because so many modern games think they are making fucking movies for hollywood these days. I don't want that. I read comic books, novels, and I want something that lets me slowly get to know things over period of time playing it, not fed to me in a fancy custscene with no gameplay and limited interactions.

Games are their own things seperate from tv/movie/books. I don't like the non-gamey side of modern gaming which is slowly taking over in importance to the experience of playing something with enjoyable mechanics. What makes a game enjoyable is not the same thing as what makes watching a movie enjoyable. When you watch a movie you do give a fuck about the story. But in games the thing drawing you to play is the interactive experiences, and if there is a good story to go with it, then it adds to that. But the latter never takes over from importance from the former. Any more than the snappy dialogue in a open world game should take over from the overall experience of exploring things to get things which let you explore more dangerous things using the things you found exploring less dangerous things. A game has it's own flow that must be respected above telling a story. Otherwise kids can just go to youtube and get all the CG cutscenes and not buy the game because you built your whole foundation for sucess on the interesting story behind the game more than whether it is fun to play. lol This is why Zelda IS 10. Because we all remember when games were GAMES not stories that has some interaction between bits of story.

That's why I think people don't get what made Zelda good. They still think of games as seperate parts of story, graphics, combat, music all jumbled together to make the game. No. They are a game first, and all that other shit serves a purpose to add to the game. Not the other way around! (it's akin to a architect drawing the plans up and not building anything until those plans are finalised before building starts. You think about the game skeleton itself before worrying about individual bits and pieces like voices, music, graphics, etc If you make a boring game with good graphics, music, narrations, dialogue, characters, you wasted the time because playing it is a chore to get to those enjoyable things in the game. I bought a game not a movie! It's slow burn not 2 hours of story. One is active and the other is passive.) It is why I get why people prefer morrowind to later elder scrolls and why people much prefer Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion. Priorities in modern games slowly got fucked up where the story started to become more important as people demanded more "mature" "adult" experiences and they naturally thought: "let's make hollywood custscenes to pretend we are something we are not" and that is what happened with nintendo because they thought people cared about those things over the fun being in the gameworld itself and playing in it using the fun mechanics to get what you want. (like a sport such as fishing, camping, hunting etc)

When Zelda went back to basics nintendo reminded us all why we play games again - test limits, challenge our skills, mystify us about how we got involved, and dare us to do things like we were 5 year olds challenging each other in the playground to see who could run fastest by racing each other to the water fountain first, or jump the highest or last the longest or be sneakier. New games just don't make it a skill to react to danger anymore. It's a damn CG custscene showing danger which is not the same thing, It's dull and if you compare something old like the 2nd Call of Duty game to the newer Call of Duty games you will see what I mean: The older game didn't use as much custscenes to pretend to tell you interesting stories about people. It knew you were just a guy in a battlefield doing a job. Old games did that. New games want to be summer blockbuster Michael Bay experiences ripping you out of the action with QTE and the gimmick was good back when Modern Warfare made it cool for important scenes, but it just isn't as good as making that pure gameplay stuff. You are the character, the character isn't you. If you design a game around player more than the character the player plays, you will get a deeper game imo.. (because it is treated like an involving sport, not passive activity such as watching a movie, or listening to radio) Stuff from the 80-90s had their heads down to earth. Now it's just about how the individual portions of the game stand out more than the core gameplay being fun.

_________________
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto


17 Apr 2017 07:13 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 18487
Jasper wrote:
Twiztid Elf wrote:
I'm at a complete loss to understand the hype, and even more so at people claiming this is the most important game of the year, generation or whatever. Complete nonsense.


Understanding the undeserving hype is really simple. 8)

Nier Automata was released around the same time as Legend of Zelda: BOTW. Concurrently, BOTW had been crowned one of the best video games ever made.

Thus the blood of Sony fanboys around the world began to boil - and they all joined forces to over-hype the fuck out of Nier Automata (another open world game being released around the same time as BOTW) - to compensate for their inability to experience the magic of BOTW. :cry:


Some would say Zelda has been vastly over-hyped in the face of Horizon which is indeed a better game.


17 Apr 2017 10:09 pm
Profile
Member
Member

Joined: 09 Jul 2006 02:58 pm
Posts: 392
Zelda - Breath of the Wild, Wii U.

Good stuff: the expanse and the verticality of it, the art style and (while there is really only 5 of them) reasonably interesting bosses. Getting all of the Runes up front was a good call, which means you can get down to exploring right away without any hinderance. The little details of the word like lizards and dragonflies scamping off as you get close, and the wildlife is likewise realistic. Combat is typically Zelda but the flurry addition was welcome and does add a little bit of depth to the otherwise vanilla combat.

Shit stuff: weapons breaking - whoever came up with this idea deserves a backhander - it is one of the most infuriating game mechanics I've seen in years and adds absolutely nothing to the experience - watching forged iron Claymore's explode into sparks after a few wallops is simply stupid. NPCs - like most Zelda games, there is generally less than 5 that actually have anything meaningful to say or add anything to the story, looks like a Kindergarten play in the face of dialogue excellence like in Witcher 3, and the voice acting is excruciatingly bad. Shrines - basically they've spread out that otherwise combined would have been typically interesting Zelda like dungeons, but having them thinned out into 120 bit sized serves was a mistake. Dungeon's - only 4, lowest number in any Zelda game to date and are basically souped up Shrines. Side quests - again meaningless, have no story depth and you get rewarded with a carrot. The untold number of collectables, which are basically breakable weapons, carrots, gem stones, monster sphincters and other assorted crap - this also makes exploration an unrewarding experience unless you just want to take a look around.

A really good game ruined by thoughtless design decisions.

7/10.


20 Apr 2017 05:22 pm
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18266
Location: 4215
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Monster Sphincters? No wonder Jasper loves it.

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


20 Apr 2017 06:04 pm
Profile WWW
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:14 pm
Posts: 12219
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AU
Candy Arse wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Twiztid Elf wrote:
I'm at a complete loss to understand the hype, and even more so at people claiming this is the most important game of the year, generation or whatever. Complete nonsense.


Understanding the undeserving hype is really simple. 8)

Nier Automata was released around the same time as Legend of Zelda: BOTW. Concurrently, BOTW had been crowned one of the best video games ever made.

Thus the blood of Sony fanboys around the world began to boil - and they all joined forces to over-hype the fuck out of Nier Automata (another open world game being released around the same time as BOTW) - to compensate for their inability to experience the magic of BOTW. :cry:


Some would say Zelda has been vastly over-hyped in the face of Horizon which is indeed a better game.


It's easy to say overhyped because Zelda has a larger fanbase because it's a series that has been long-running. Horizon is a new IP so it's the underdog. What matters is which is better in the fun? That is subjective. It's like Arguing over sonic vs Mario. They are both good but you thnk Zelda is a 7 which is just ridiculous. Professional reviewers who are legit and respected played for 90 hours giving it 10s. Why would we trust you over these guys who play games rather than talking about PCs all day?
Zelda isn't hyped. Hyped is when people talk about something they don't know will be good or not and the game actually turns out to be shit and can't live up to expectations. (No Man's Sky, Fable)
Zelda goes beyond that and makes us think of the way games should be made.

We need Zelda to remind us that games are things we play rather than stories with pretty looking graphics and checklists of busy work. (and that is why it gets 10s because it gives the ilusion you are free to do things other games don't let you do because the story defines the experience and not player driven actions.

Ken Levine is working on project to see if he can bring some of that freedom back into modern gaming.
See the GDC 2014 talk.

Hopefully he suceeds because I am tired of the linear style of gaming with branching story path. Yes it gives games a more polished feel but sims are what games are better at and you can get better stories from linear rpg games. Let open world stuff be player driven experiences.
Older games like Deus Ex could fake a lot of things but we have the technology to go beyond the past games and make character interactions more organic and less scripted. Just as you have systems to simulate physics, and weater and light, there should be some system to make people in the worlds do things that simulate how real people behave to your actions and decisions. Hopefully nintendo can steal some of this guys ideas and give us this narrative lego thing. (that talk was 3 years ago so he is further ahead now)

A 10 game must go beyond what has already been done Candy. That is why nintendo get consistent 10s because they are always thinking about how to better the older stuff. The big fanbase helps to hype up the series but if that was the only thing that got them the 10 scores people would be complaining on the internet that they got ripped off and return the game which often happens with overhyped games. And it hasn't happened with Zelda. Stupid fake arse wannabe gamer who can't beat a 5 year old kid's Balrog in SFV..

_________________
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto


20 Apr 2017 06:22 pm
Profile
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:14 pm
Posts: 12219
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AU
PhoneMonkey wrote:
Zelda - Breath of the Wild, Wii U.

Good stuff: the expanse and the verticality of it, the art style and (while there is really only 5 of them) reasonably interesting bosses. Getting all of the Runes up front was a good call, which means you can get down to exploring right away without any hinderance. The little details of the word like lizards and dragonflies scamping off as you get close, and the wildlife is likewise realistic. Combat is typically Zelda but the flurry addition was welcome and does add a little bit of depth to the otherwise vanilla combat.

Shit stuff: weapons breaking - whoever came up with this idea deserves a backhander - it is one of the most infuriating game mechanics I've seen in years and adds absolutely nothing to the experience - watching forged iron Claymore's explode into sparks after a few wallops is simply stupid. NPCs - like most Zelda games, there is generally less than 5 that actually have anything meaningful to say or add anything to the story, looks like a Kindergarten play in the face of dialogue excellence like in Witcher 3, and the voice acting is excruciatingly bad. Shrines - basically they've spread out that otherwise combined would have been typically interesting Zelda like dungeons, but having them thinned out into 120 bit sized serves was a mistake. Dungeon's - only 4, lowest number in any Zelda game to date and are basically souped up Shrines. Side quests - again meaningless, have no story depth and you get rewarded with a carrot. The untold number of collectables, which are basically breakable weapons, carrots, gem stones, monster sphincters and other assorted crap - this also makes exploration an unrewarding experience unless you just want to take a look around.

A really good game ruined by thoughtless design decisions.

7/10.


Nobody buys zelda games for story. They are adventure games. Big difference to a RPG which has story as almost central focus to why you want to progress.

As for weapons combat being annoying I can agree with weapon damage being overdone. But it was a good decision for balance reasons. Think of how weapons in Halo 1 run out of ammo the more you use them and everytime you kill an enemy you got to pick up the dropped weapons when you use up all the ammo in the ones you were using? The same deal here. But in this instance, it encourage you to go find the toughest enemies who hold the most durable weapons and kick their butts rather than grinding on the small enemies who do not pose a threat. It isn't realistic for weapons to break all the time but from a pure gameplay perspective the weapons breaking gets you to think about what the enemy is before attack. If it is weak, you use the weak shit on them. If it is strong you use the best weapons. Same with Resident Evil when you fight basic zombies. You only use shotgun when there are groups of them to maximise spread damage and then with pistol you attack when there is only 1 or 2 and aim for the legs so you can drop them and finish them off with the knife to save bullets once they are slower in movement.

Weapons get blunt in games like Monster Hunter too, so I think they might have taken this idea from either this or minecraft where you always have to worry about tool quality before you swing at the rock. The harder stuff requires stronger tools to effectively collect material from. It may not be to your taste but the whole point of exploration is getting better things and knowing where those things are on the world map. So you learn not to trust poor quality tools just like in the far cry games when you get rusted AK47 that jams up on you. If you buy new weapons you have better reliability.

Games like Vagrant Story and Diablo are like this where you constantly want to obtain better things and in Diablo inventory management is part of the design to limit how much you can bring with you so that you don't pick up everything and only focus on quality. When Zelda does it suddenly it becomes a sin? lol This isn't a kid's game like Witcher 3 or Skyrim. You need to throw weapons away like a ninja and react to your environment and travel light. In real life would you be able to climb if you could bring the kitchen sink with you everywhere you went? No. So stop thinking of RPG. This is adventure title with some elements of RPG open world games. Not a pure RPG. That means story isn't as important. Games like Pitfall, Tomb Raider 1, Metroid don't rely on heavy dialogue with npc like some stupid metal gear solid game or a final fantasy game with CG cutscenes to tell you story. You tell the story by actions you do just like old adventures. (play the original Zelda which is the inspiration for this game)

If you don't like the old adventure games then it is more a matter of poor taste. You just don't want to play something with survival sim gimmicks in it like inventory management, weather that can kill you, having to worry about stamina or having to earn good stuff. (ie you didn't get dual uzis in Tomb Raider till late when tough enemies appear) and that is fine. But this does what it aimed for very well. If you made a game like this I doubt you would be able to improve on it given the limits of a Wii U. (adding unecessary fat could bring the FPS down even more)

I know people who didn't like Metal Gear Solid 5 because it was simply an open world game and they wanted a linear game for story reasons. But just because they got something they didn't want, doesn't mean that what the creator intended and aimed for was done poorly. The game overall is good but might not be to the taste of fans of linear games. Liking linear games is fine. But Saying the open world one is bad simply for not liking open world games due to poor story is just your taste. (you just don't like open world sandbox games, not that the game itself is bad at what it intended to be due to shit design) Anything with open world is less likely to have good story as linear games. It's because you sacrifice freedom for quality. But old games like the original GTA games for instance, were fun because of freedom not because you were drawn to them for the story and characters. That only came in later games in the GTA series when they started going all cinematic on our arses because people expected story to take over from gamey sections. (new GTA even lets players skip gameplay sections once they fail a certain number of times FFS lol)

_________________
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto


Last edited by GameHED on 20 Apr 2017 06:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



20 Apr 2017 06:31 pm
Profile
Member
Member

Joined: 09 Jul 2006 02:58 pm
Posts: 392
No idea what GameHED wrote, he's on ignore :lol: :up:


20 Apr 2017 06:48 pm
Profile
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:14 pm
Posts: 12219
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AU
Obviously because haters of good games can't handle the truth. If you can explain the reason we should trust you over the professional game reviewers then you'd get the respect that they do. Do you realise that people bought Switch just to play Zelda on the go? That's how good it is even though it's a Wii U game at its core and wasn't made for Switch. Fat chance nintendo is going to stop making more games like BOTW given how great the critical sucess it has achieved.

It's just like the jealousy that skyrim fans must have when Edge gave Skyward Sword 10 while only giving Skyrim an 9. This is a repeat of that. Gameplay is king. Nobody gives a fuck about story these days especially for games like GTA5 where kids are playing it for online mode more than the campaign. It is refreshing nintendo made a slow burn single player adventure game which is what I like. I can get better stories reading novels thanks. Story is the bonus not the core of why I play games. Only film school rejects care about this shit because they were not able to work in the film industry so they are using games as a vehicle to tell their stories. Sort of like cosplay girls who weren't good looking enough to get into modeling career so they chose to show off butt and boob to nerds at conventions as their second preference if the first thing failed.

It is ok to be angry at nintendo fans I understand that. But realise that it is the seal of quality that also adds to the ratings on nintendo games because they are polished pieces of software too. Just like how you rate controllers for having good build quality you also got to add in extra points on nintendo software for having robust code that doesn't break the game or delete your save or freeze the game at crucial points. Ok amateurs? I know you are used to buggy PC shit that doesn't run properly as intended but us TRUE GAMERS care about the little things like that. And nintendo delays their shit so by the time it is released you feel like you got a full game which was properly checked.
Instead of getting pissed at nintendo I would suggest you get angry at pc coders who rush code out and encourage them to lift their standards up to nintendo quality polish. They probably won't botehr because people love to preorder gmes so much and what you get is half arsed software with thousands of glitches and bugs and people in america are not as strict on this stuff because they are impatient. But for the rest of us, it means that games should lose points for not being polished and that might explain why nintendo gets higher scores than other titles. (user reviewers never complain about being "ripped off" in negative reviews of nintendo games. Because the products have robust code which rarely break in half just from normal use of them)

_________________
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto


20 Apr 2017 06:57 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 18487
PhoneMonkey wrote:
No idea what GameHED wrote, he's on ignore :lol: :up:


How good is it :lol:


20 Apr 2017 08:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.