Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:Finished Yakuza 2 this morning, soap-opera ending and a bit of a grind overall given the tech gap between it and PS360, but I'm still glad I finished it, now I can move on to 3.
But you didn't rate it. I've been reading peoples opinions and most say it's the best of the first 3.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I can only compare the first two at this stage. The original has a better story, whilst 2 is much better technically, especially with load times.

Probably a 7/10 for each I'd say.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

GOD OF WAR III

9/10

Brilliant game overall, best graphics this console generation so far.
Only downfalls of the whole game is fixed cameras and they story was just OK.

Great experience that anyone with a PS3 should play.
2nd place is the first loser....

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Candy Arse wrote:The passing of time will only hurt Half-Life 2, but given that it's about to become a six year old game I still find it super enjoyable (along with Eps 1 and 2), and at the time it was an astonishing game and blew away every console FPS on the market.
Even back then I was pretty underimpressed with it - Far Cry had already done everything HL2 did when it came out. Some things it did way better too.
Doom 3 had a much, much better lighting engine, while HL2 admittedly made things look gorgeous from far away, the moment you got close to something, it degenerated into a blurry mess of low-res texturing. Even Serious Sam managed to do decent detail textures.

About the only thing that hadn't been done before was the Gravity Gun.

...and then there's the woeful storytelling and nonexistent player character. Ugh.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Don't forget the linear paths.
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

jizzlobber wrote:get saints row 2 if you haven't, it's cheap as at game bro
My wife actually really likes the Saint's Row games, I own them both but haven't been able to get into them. I might give them another go once I finish my current crop of games.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

the story is pretty standard for this kind of game, but it's brutal, some of the stuff the gangs do to each other is shocking :)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Portal. 10/10. Brilliant in every way and up there with the 5 or so games I would rate as my favourite ever.
Pat V3.14

Post by Pat V3.14 »

I didnt inadvertently spoil the last half did I, Pep?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

No nothing spoiled at all. Epic last level + ending. And no I didn't consult a faq once. Not that it was especially hard but I did find myself a few times finessing what I thought was the solution before noticing something far more obvious. :D Perfect game.
Pat V3.14

Post by Pat V3.14 »

Good, I felt horrible that I might have given you an inkling about what was going to happen. Portal is such a special game.

Completely agree with you on it. Fantastic title. Probably its strongest point is its simplicity (and sense of humour).
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Just managed to finish saint's row 1 the other day after remembering that it had 2 endings. I'm going on a quest to do all the sandbox games now.

I got the 1st ending when I first played the game years ago, but then at the time I couldn't progress any further due to a bug in the game that prevented me from taking on further missions. (game would freeze - great bug testing there volition)

Since that time I realised all you had to do was remove some cars from your garage and the game doesn't freeze anymore.

Managed to try that trick and it worked. Got the 2nd ending. (I was spoiled before seeing this though, thanks to watching them on youtube prior to seeing it in-game)

On my open world games to do list I still have far cry 2, saint's 2, red faction, just cause 2, fuck I'm going to be a busy mofo.

Rating for saint's row 1 = 7.

good shit: Great gameplay, average story with good characters, controls actually make sense, was a good attempt at cloning gta but adding its own twist, funny(especially what npcs say in reaction to what's going on - I always put my volume up to 100 on voices while putting music and sound on 50%), all mini subgames relate to the main game in some way with upgrades that make it worth it. (now I know what the npcs mean when they ask if a random woman is "one of elmers girls". good attention to detail there)

bad shit: cars disappear mysteriously as soon as you turn the camera, bugs, screen tears up, no flying vehicles or boat vehicles(despite the cops being able to use a heli), city looks lifeless despite being a big city (sometimes appears abandoned), no dogs in the game despite hearing them in the background noise....and.. Lots of other little shit like not being able to bribe police or officials (make them go after other gangs more than yours) even though the vice kings gang seem to be able to have done it, which makes it seem a bit unbalanced. (since I tackled that gang last, by the end of the game I had become much more wealty and unfluential over the city map than VC - it wouldn't make sense for the police to favour them)
Last edited by GameHED on 15 Apr 2010 09:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

thats a long list of long games dood.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

BF BC2

Finished the single player for the first time on the other day and I was on Hard as well (Cos that's how I roll) and I loved it. There was the odd choke point I struggled at but aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. The last mission involving the plane was a bit easy though and the parachuting bit reminded me of No One Lives Forever.

8.5/10
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

final fight

* deep well written story
* excellent character development
* full 1080p at 60fps
* complex level design
* excellent fighting system that makes most games seem like kids play
* mind blowing sound track that wolfgang amadeus mozart would be proud to call his own
* an end boss that will chill you to your very bones

10 Image's out of 10
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

You didn't mention the netcode.
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

Pariah wrote:final fight

* deep well written story
* excellent character development
* full 1080p at 60fps
* complex level design
* excellent fighting system that makes most games seem like kids play
* mind blowing sound track that wolfgang amadeus mozart would be proud to call his own
* an end boss that will chill you to your very bones

10 Image's out of 10
The remixed music is SO awesome, game is cheap as fuck though!

I've forgotten how cheap arcade games were back in the 80s-90s till i played this! :lol:
{yes please pick up that nice shiny sword, whoops! you got knocked over}
{GO! GO! GO! hurry up next min you have some fat dude charging at you or some red ninjas throwing molotov cocktail's at ya!} :lol:
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

Oh yeh those games were designed to steal your money. If you somehow manage to avoid dying from those fat bastards and hugo the cheap bosses will definitely kill you at least once. Im still waiting for AvP, Punisher and Warriors of Fate!
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

t0mby wrote:You didn't mention the netcode.
thank you for reminding me sir t0mby

FF MP REVIEW

* amazing drop in drop out mp
* no input delay thank to amazing netcode algorithm
* worldwide leaderboards

if only all arcade classics got this type of care and treatment there would be less wars in the world

10 :sf4:'s out of 10
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Uncharted 1.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Enjoyed it far more than I expected to.
It was more Gears of Warry/shooter than I expected.

Very likable characters. Engrossing story. Scene setting and atmosphere were excellent. Very tasty graphics. Ludicrous scenarios presented on occasion though (There shouldn't be baddies here..).

This game is greater than the sum of it's parts. The game itself does nothing new or innovative, but damn it is just honed and polished to perfection.

9/10

Everything has to go up against the Bayonetta test now though.
Is this game better then Bayonetta? No.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Pat V3.14

Post by Pat V3.14 »

Glad you enjoyed it Elf, pretty much what I thought of it too. Nothing new, but all done really well. I liked the finale of it especially. Still have nfi how the sub got up there though.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just finished Yakuza 3. Some mundane sub missions really detract from the game sometimes but I enjoyed most of it. The ending was a bit of a 'What the Foxtrot?' but still cool.

I'm going to stick with the same score I gave in my review, 8/10
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I second Image's Final Fight review.

Price is crazy, game is fun as fuck and classic, millions of extra shit to unlock, fucken buy it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Final Fight has many cheap moments like fat dudes, andores, bosses that take heaps of damage off the lifebar but they all have one or two weaknesses and patterns that involve telegraphing their intentions before they unleash their deadly special attacks.

The most annoying thing I remember about it was when you get to the building with the wheelchair guy, there is this one area where there is one big swarm of el gado characters that; unless you have perfect timing on your spinning attack when getting up, you are doomed. I think that cheap attacks in that game are all avoidable in some form.

A good example is when andore knocks you with his tit charge and then tries to follow up with a foot stomp, you can always get out of this second attack by waggling the joystick and mashing the buttons to get up much quicker and then grab him when he misses, turning the tide of battle by throwing his body or the body of another guy into a group of people to knock them all down and then punch them as they all get up. (corner traps and putting your body in a position to backflip-attack them is the key to winning - you want to move while hitting but stun them only just long enough to throw because it will make you invincible. Because each person has a different grab distance and walk speed the stun timing varies)

I think FF is better than double dragon 1 in gameplay because there are never any moments where a single move can be abused, but double dragon advance is a lot more 'free' in how you go about fighting them which is more interesting on replay. Like you know when a group of "agent smith" guys is surrounding you, you know that it's futile to focus all your attack on one guy because then it gives another guy who is behind you the opportunity to hit you for free, so you only go for spinning kicks or one-hit knockdown attack to spread them out to gives you breathing space. But if you abuse that move all the time in later areas you will run out of time and lose a life for not killing people as fast as possible with higher damage moves. In Final fight you tend to be forced to only use your characters chain which can get a little repetitive because there is no freedom to mix up your attacks depending on the situation.

You just have to backflip stun them (the equivalent to the elbow attack in double dragon where your back is facing them o they don't expect you to attack) or throw people into each other and the result gets a predictable.

If they were to make a 2d sequel to Final Fight I would make it more like what double dragon was where certain moves have different advantages and disadvantages to them and you control what move you do.
(like a spin kick has a nice wide arc that surrounds you, but a punch requires you line yourself up perfectly for it to connect. There would be no invincibility with spin kicks so that means if the opponent does a dashing jump kick or punches you early while you are in the air you can get hit or both (you and the enemy) of you fall down.
Last edited by GameHED on 19 Apr 2010 06:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

yeah cheapness is all thru Final Fight but its not like we didnt know that already.