Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Re: Rate the last game you finished

Post by Jasper »

Super Mario Bros. 3 is unquestionably the absolute best 2D platformer of all time! :up:

I have now literally played hundreds of levels in Super Mario Maker (there's now well over 6 million levels to play...the replay value of this game will never end - it's incredible :P), and playing SMM is super nostalgic and a reminder of why Super Mario Bros. 3 in my books is probably the best game of all time. :)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Nope. No error. SMW>SMB3.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Mario 3 took the big steps forward but Mario World perfected it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Sure if you enjoy games with zero difficulty I'm sure it is the better game.

SMB3 has better ideas and implementations. SMW has a nice coat of paint and... well a dinosaur. It feels like a step backwards in the features department.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Super Mario World is the greatest game ever.

Super Mario Bros 3 is almost the greatest game ever.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep that's about it. If SMW didn't exist, SMB3 is easily the best 2D platformer ever made.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

you're all mistaken.

Yoshi's Island is the greatest platformer ever.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

...and immediately following Yoshi's Island is Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I actually thought that honour went to Abe's Oddysee. But if Nitedro is your thing, I can't really say anything that will help any of you.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Remember Me

2013 release. Futuristic Paris setting which looks great. Linear game however so it's a great looking backdrop only. Action game with limited platforming. The platforming literally tells you where to go next and the combat action is a combo system variation where you can assign abilities such as health regen, extra power or special ability recharge time discounts. The story is pretty good and centres around memories as now commodities and all the ways such a thing can be used to subjugate the citizens of future Paris. There are a few interesting sequences where you 'remix' a character's memory. This involves you being inside the person's memory and rewinding/fast forwarding manually to see where you can intervene and ultimately change what the person remembers. Slick production, quality voice work and some nice ideas that feel fresh to play. This is Donotnod's first game before they moved onto Life is Strange (critically acclaimed episodic adventure title I've noticed some GR people playing). This gets heavily discounted during the sales so if you do as I did and pick it up cheap you will certainly get value for money.

7.5/10.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I also 'finished' Her Story. Definitely worth playing if you haven't yet. Innovative, clever and a great performance from the actor. Looking up her name now... - Viva Seifert.

9/10.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Gone Home.

I think I finished it by accident.

3/10
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Remember Me

2013 release. Futuristic Paris setting which looks great. Linear game however so it's a great looking backdrop only. Action game with limited platforming. The platforming literally tells you where to go next and the combat action is a combo system variation where you can assign abilities such as health regen, extra power or special ability recharge time discounts. The story is pretty good and centres around memories as now commodities and all the ways such a thing can be used to subjugate the citizens of future Paris. There are a few interesting sequences where you 'remix' a character's memory. This involves you being inside the person's memory and rewinding/fast forwarding manually to see where you can intervene and ultimately change what the person remembers. Slick production, quality voice work and some nice ideas that feel fresh to play. This is Donotnod's first game before they moved onto Life is Strange (critically acclaimed episodic adventure title I've noticed some GR people playing). This gets heavily discounted during the sales so if you do as I did and pick it up cheap you will certainly get value for money.

7.5/10.
The score pretty much reflects how I felt through the game. Haven't finished it yet as it's part of my backlog, game was part of PS+ IGC a couple of years ago. I agreed with your comments though, production/presentation is top notch, looks sharp as and has an interesting story, it's just incredibly linear.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:I also 'finished' Her Story. Definitely worth playing if you haven't yet. Innovative, clever and a great performance from the actor. Looking up her name now... - Viva Seifert.

9/10.
Must have bought it in the same Steam sale. I expected a bit more "game" from it. There's not any ending although the game does give you an indication when you've watched all the key videos and it tells you how many hidden videos there still are. You just decide yourself at some point that you've seen enough.

When I've got a spare minute I'll watch all the videos in order to put some of the events into better context.

About 6/10 I guess.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Broken Sword The Directors Cut - PC version

It's kind of a mixed bag as this was made before reduxing games was cool. The game is still excellent but the mixture of old and new graphics and audio is all over the place. Sure Dave Gibbons' artwork is amazing but the new portrait windows stick out. You have Don Bluth style animations and then some super smooth Gibbons cut scenes.

I like the Nico story that they have added but putting her bit in after a cut down version of the original opening really kills the flow. I think it should have cold opened with Nico, then put the opening in and give us George with his "Paris in the fall" line. The opening was iconic.

But I do like the Nico story, it helps make her a real character rather than the 2 dimensional object of George's creepy desire who just sits in her apartment all day doing nothing except listen to George.

My biggest gripe is the lack of death. I understand that they are trying to make it more accessible but because death was removed there are times when the game will solve puzzles for you.

I'm also a little disturbed by the kiss. George pretty much obsesses over Nico the entire game, he then forces a kiss on her while she is tied up. In the original you get a choice to kiss her or untie her, in this version George just jumps her. It's a pretty uncomfortable scene as Nico rebukes him early in the game stating it's purely a business thing. So yeah, George is a bit of a d-bag.

I like this version but the original is the preferred version.

I dunno... it's still a great story and a fun game even with the flaws... 8 kebabs made with a toilet brush out of 10.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

That puzzle with the tied up goat stumped me back in the day. Played it on the PSone with the official Sony mouse!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So, a friend of mine in the States sent me a code for Syndicate (the FPS remake). I dimly remember it being banned in Australia years ago but the code redeemed through Origin without an issue. Haven't touched the single play campaign yet but the 4p co-op is awesome, most fun I've had since Gears of War 2 Horde mode. If you can grab a key for this game highly recommend it. Considering this game was released in 2012 it graphically holds up extremely well.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. Exceptional game. Not particularly difficult at all but extremely well polished title that has me excited for the next instalment. Obviously the PC version is definitive version but irrespective of the platform this is a must have I think.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Single player in Syndicate is tough but excellent. It's a great game and a shame it was banned here. 4 player mode is awesome and the maps are based on maps from the original game.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I picked up a SH copy for the PS3 at EB last year for around $5 I think but I never got around to playing it as I heard it was better with 4ppl. Had I known it was banned I probably wouldn't have traded it back in.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It is tough as nails in coop but really enjoyable with a decent team. Shame it was banned, can see where Deus Ex took a lot of its visual cues from.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

GreyWizzard wrote:Sure if you enjoy games with zero difficulty I'm sure it is the better game.

SMB3 has better ideas and implementations. SMW has a nice coat of paint and... well a dinosaur. It feels like a step backwards in the features department.
I finished Broken sword 5 in jan and then bought the remake of 1 on mobile and 2 on steam. I agree the remake story with addition and remastering of things did seem a little disjointed. I though 5 was beautiful and a great story and a must play for any adventure gamer as I really enjoyed it. I found it difficult going from that linear experience back to the old style get a from here go back here and then back over there style gameplay. Kept feeling like i should be able to solve things when i got somewhere without backtracking. I hope 6 is around the 5 mark in quality as Ill happily pay for that any day.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

After re-reading the excellent Masters of Doom I played through The Ultimate Doom on Ultra Violence and the original Quake on Hard.

Absolute masterpieces that still hold up today. Doom is STILL the best game ever.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Half Life 2

Enjoyed another play through. It still largely holds up very well. I've replayed Water Hazard and Ravenholm fairly recently but it's been a long time since I've played to the end. There should be an achievement for the number of Strider slugs you take in the back while waiting for your dumb arse squad mates to get out of the way.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Cletus wrote:I actually thought that honour went to Abe's Oddysee. But if Nitedro is your thing, I can't really say anything that will help any of you.

dafuck?

Abe is more of a puzzle game. I think it's time Sony brought back Jumping Flash but it uses gyro-look controls similar to splatoon so you can look down at your feet with great ease by angling the controller down and up.

I know the japs hate FPV but that was the game that was meant to be Mario64 killer.

I want a game with floaty jump physics like Sega's Gun Valkyrie (anyone remember that on the old xbox?) but with FPS controls if that is possible. (you look around from insidde the robot's head to scan environment)

The challenge would not just be the shooting of other robots but using just the right amount of thrust to hang in the air to get to platforms high in the sky and then dive down to kill people from above much like the gravity rush games.

Splatoon got the flow of gameplay right with the whole climbing on walls to save time. Jumping Flash can use grapple hooks like batman and let you cling to walls and shoot while you are on the side of buildings. (think of the spidermech from the Ghost in the Shell comics) Since you are viewing from inside the robot you will often be looking downards towards the ground while hanging from building edges lining up your shot to stun enemies and then butt stomp them with a crushing blow with your legs to finish them. But you can grapple hook plus boost jump back to where you where instantly so there is no delay getting up. ie you are doing multiple actions at once while diving on your opponent, 1. grapple cancelling, and boost jumping and.. 2. jumping off of the enemy's heads as a spring board to zip up.
Splatoon was more like a shooter, but this will be like platformer with shooting involved. (lining up jumps and clinging and thrusting to get place to place is the main focus)

Since we have gyro controllers now, jumping while shooting at enemies in the air as we are in mid jump must be a lot easier than it was back in the Xbox original days with Gun Valkyrie. Sony needs to go back to older franchises and reimagine them much like Eidos has done with Tomb Raider or capcom has done with Megaman. Nintendo is kicking all the other companies' arses in the platform genre. It's no wonder apply retards are begging for nintendo to make mobile games. They are all making boring derivative shit instead of fun all-ages titles that are deep and addictive like retro games of the past.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto