Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Rate the last game you finished

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Dead Rising 4 :(

Absolutely gutted. What Dead Rising was is well and truly dead now. What it is now is good. Damn good. But it isn't Dead Rising. It's something different now.
7/10
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

The Last Guardian

Impressive visuals, a powerful score, some amazing set pieces, clever environmental puzzles and what's undoubtedly the best character animation I've seen in a game. None of which is as impressive as the way you form a bond between the boy and beast over the course of the 10-15 hour adventure.

It has some technical issues- the camera can be unwieldy, the framerate dips markedly in places and the controls while capable do not inspire me to attempt a no deaths run. If you've played Ico/SotC you know exactly what to expect here. Presentation is slightly marred by button prompts that are necessary the first time but curiously repetitive as the game goes on.

For me these gripes are all easily overlooked because this title serves up something truly unique and unforgettable. I finished this twice in four days which is unheard of, and while the surprises weren't there the second time around I was finding more clues about the world, its inhabitants and the overall story and found the experience every bit as satisfying.

There are undeniably shortcomings, yet it's perfect. 9/10 I guess? Do yourself a favour and play it.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The Last Guardian.

Fucking WOW.

Gamma pretty much said it all.

Yes.. some technical issues. But so fucking what. The scale and aesthetic is just amazing. I found the bond I had with Trico to be just so unbelievably strong. Could it be my love for my 2 dogs that is amplifying what I felt? Hmm maybe.. but I think they did such an incredible job at making Trico and making me care about it.

That ending though... Gut wrenching but so worth it. Definitely satisfying. Not sure why so many people don't understand the ending though. I thought it was it pretty straight forward.

GOTY for me I feel.
9.5 Trico shit bubbles out of 10.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

The Last Guardian

I don't think I've been quite as impressed by it as others. To me it felt a little too clunky. The gameplay felt stuck in last gen, and the camera and frame rate issues were very evident. Some of the fights against those stone warriors were frustrating at times too, especially when I got fucked over by the tech issues. Also, a break in the game (such as dying), generally means reach for a swig of a drink. In this game it just meant getting back into the game ended up taking longer. ;)

But there's so much good to be said about the game too. Most importantly the star of the show Trico, or BirdDog as I call him. BirdDog was just amazing to watch and interact with. I never found interacting with him to be frustrating, and he always behaved as I expected. But I gave him a lot of attention, and always give him a pat on the back of the neck every time I was on board. The graphics and animation were absolutely fucking amazing at times.

I enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus a lot more than this, but I'm very, very glad I played through this. It is an amazing and unique experience.
8/10

Pokemon Sun
Easily the best mainline Pokemon game. I really like how they've streamlined the design of the routes. Not frustrating at all any more. And the soundtrack is probably the best in a Pokemon game ever. The overhaul of the engine works well too.
The negatives though... Oh man, the story is mostly complete trash, and the endless meaningless dialogue that just drones on and on and on and on and on. Fucking hell.
I also think the design of the new Pokemon is a bit boring and uninspired. I've never thought this in a new Pokemon game before - I actually liked most of the new Pokemon in both X/Y and Black/White.
I think this is my last mainline Pokemon. We'll see what happens with Stars on the Switch.
7/10
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Doom
A video game has never before produced such continuous adrenaline in me. If you don't play this, you hate video games. You don't hate video games, do you?
8/10
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Dead Rising 4 :(

Absolutely gutted. What Dead Rising was is well and truly dead now. What it is now is good. Damn good. But it isn't Dead Rising. It's something different now.
7/10
Got it for Christmas, part way in and I'm enjoying the freedom to explore without the time pressure but then I miss that the most. Working out what to do and re-running through the game and finding new survivors and stuff each time was great. On the flipside I'm enjoying a much larger game and improved graphics and stability. Not really enjoying the ease of psycho's, meant to be challenging. What in particular do you not like? I can see why the changed it up at no 4 they were caught with giving more of the same which I would have loved being a hardcore fan or changing it up to hopefully a bigger audience.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

This GAF post pretty accurately reflects my complaints against the game.
This game is generic. The single thing this game has going for it is its weapon combo mechanic which isn't that much improved from 3. And you can have all of the weapon combinations you like, but when those weapons are in service of uninteresting and clunky combat then is that really what you want to be hanging your hat on?

The enemies in this game are such an afterthought that it makes me not want to engage in combat at all. Zombies in the original games also never really put up much of a challenge, but that was balanced out by the human enemy types and the psychos.

I honestly think that psychos are a more integral part to the Dead Rising experience than the timer is, and this game has *none*. There are psychos in name, but all that means is a generic looking enemy has a slightly longer health bar. The original games balanced the unforgiving nature of the timer with the absurdity and difficult of the psychos to create an incredibly unique experience. This game removes both of those and replaces them with nothing.

This game takes a unique and challenging and engaging formula and, in what i can only assume is an attempt to broaden its appeal, strips out the components that made it so challenging and unique while adding absolutely nothing to counteract their loss. What we're left with is a mindless and insultingly easy sandbox that serves no purpose other than to toy around with their 'creative' weapons.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

DOOM - my favourite FPS campaign ever. Better than Halo, better than Halo 3, better than Half-Life 2.

This is basically Death Metal - The Video Game. Relentless from start to finish, a game that embraces the carnage of the original Doom games and wraps it up in modern trappings.

Modern trappings that you don't even need to look at or pay attention to if you just want to play Doom.

If you DO decide to pay attention to them, you get a story that is actually bordering on hilarious at times, it's so well written and executed. Some of the shit in the codecs are laugh-out-loud funny without hitting you over the head with making it obvious.

You've got the UAC "weaponising demons for a better future" and paving the road to hell with science and innovation, while the demons worship the Doom marine as some marauding angel of death. They view him as some sort of religious figure :lol:

The weapon upgrades make the combat even more enjoyable - I fully upgraded the mini gun and that shit is insane, combined with the right rune you get unlimited ammo with either a fast rotation startup or an insane amount of bullets per second but an overheating meter.

Speaking of weapons, all the weapons are done right. None of them suck, they're all a blast to use.

I used to think the BFG was lame in the first 2 Doom games, but in this game it's fucking brilliant.

As is the chainsaw which I ended up using only when I wanted to restock on ammo or health in the middle of a fight.

On the subject of fights, the way the music kicks in when the demons start to appear...adrenaline and testosterone all over the place.

10/10
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

The music is the best bit, Gordon is fast becoming a legendary gaming composer... His killer instinct stuff is brilliant, I listen to the ost with my headphones on all the time.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I didn't know the same guy made both OSTs for Doom and KI, but it makes sense now that you mention it. KI's soundtrack is the best in fighting games.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

yup, and KI season 3 soundtrack is balls in comparison since he isn't involved.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Good write up on Doom Candy, been giving the game high praise to a friend as well. It just goes to show you don't need all this bullshit fluffer plaguing games these days.

I'll be getting back into it once my 55" telly arrives back in Un Zud. :up:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agreed - it completely delivers across the board.

Hard to think of a game that reboots an old classic so well. SF4 did it, what else?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That reminds me, I still have the complete it but I'm right near the end, just have to download the latest patch.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Best soundtrack in fighting games is guilty gear by far.

Another good reboot is Abes Odyssey; New and Tasty. I still need to devour its juicy innards. Great game.
Shadow warrior also lives up to its reboot hype.

DOOM has various qualities that miss the mark and could be this way or that way (see my previous rants, no need to repeat) and despite how long a list of gripes I make, this game still delivers oodles of fun and presentation. First few days had me yelling out loud to no one in excitement when I got things like the berserk powerup. Arcade mode and snap maps are appreciated additions too.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:
Hard to think of a game that reboots an old classic so well. SF4 did it, what else?
Ninja Gaiden.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Titanfall 2

Probably the least appreciated game of the year. The multiplayer is stupid fun, particularly the speed and verticallity of the levels. While I suck at competitive MP, it is still fun to try take down a Titan knowing full well the opposing team is waiting to snipe you. The campaign though was pretty awesome, the only issue being the length - should have been at least 12 levels. I would say this game has one of the best levels in recent memory in 'Effects and Cause' - combines the best elements of COD, Portal and Half-Life into one level and was the first time in a long time I had a "holy fuck, they did that?" moment. A must buy I think at the current price, I think you can still get it on PS4 and PC at around $40 AUD? Would almost be the perfect FPS if not for the campaign length. 9/10.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I just finished Titanfall 2 as well and I have to say it's one of the most enjoyable campaigns I've played since Bungies Halo games (except Crysis which was awesome as well). Definitely had some really imaginative levels.

Being the biggest Titanfall fan on here (Sup Leop5!) I really hope Respawn get the chance to carry on this franchise and maybe, just maybe, open up the levels a bit more for some epic battle.

9 squashed foot soldiers out of 10
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

t0mby wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:
Ninja Gaiden.
Strider 2 motherfucker. Also Megman X - the heavy metal music in background with much cooler sprites with armor upgrade completely refreshed an aging frnachise. (not saying the rock tunes were not bad but please don't say chip tunes on 8-bit could ever compared to SNES music)

Capcom need to do a third strider title in HD with the same gameplay of 2. (the last metroidvania game wasn't bad but I think an arcade game with episodic camapaign would be better. (each story is like an issue from a comic book)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Sorry GH, you're posting in the wrong thread, this is for people that have actually finished games.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The Witcher 2

Absolutely stunning looking game. The Prologue and Chapter 1 (Flotsam and surrounding foliage) are masterpieces. I've rarely seen the untamed outdoors look so full and lush in videogame form. Traipsing around Flotsam and the bush during both day and night is as immersed as I've ever been in an RPG. With the game cranked and ubersampling switched on my GPU fans were spinning hard. Fair enough as I understand ubersampling is 4x SSAA.

Chapter 2's location (Vergen) is a dwarf city of multiple levels, tunnels and staircases which made it unnecessarily tricky to navigate. I eventually learned my way around but still annoying early on to travel to your map's quest marker only to find nothing because the marker pertains to another level. Minor quibble. Chapter 3's location (Loc Muinne) is a ruined city, again awkward to navigate.

The game starts hard as nails. You get drilled early on. The only way to effectively fight groups is to kite around and chip away. Not exactly what you'd expect from a master combatant but it gets better/easier as you progress. I enjoyed the melee combat. I put the vast majority of my skill points into swordsmanship.

Story and characters are deep. You get to make some game changing decisions throughout. A lot of work went into the side quests many of which were as engaging as the main game.

All up, sensational despite some niggling design issues. If you're yet to play Witcher 3 I can easily recommend you play this prior. Despite its age it's still as modern looking a game as there is.

9/10
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Titanfall 2 is my GOTY. Yes, it could be longer, but I am worried that if it was say 3 or 4 hours longer it will be 3 or 4 hours of filler. As it stands, there is NO FILLER. It is amazing. I even went back to play through some Doom just to see if it was just a case of Titanfall 2 being fresher in my mind, and nope. Titanfall 2 is my GOTY.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Dead Rising 4: Didn't like the change of no timer and bringing survivors back to the safe house as working out how to get everyone etc was a big appeal to me. On the flipside I did enjoy a huge world with no load times and a bit checklist of things to do, if it weren't for some bugs like I spent hours collecting all of the graffiti tags for the game to only record me having 99/100 when I have them all, started multi the other night with a mate and this has been quite fun so far.. giving it 8/10 the new style grew on me and I am judging an 8 on the proviso I have heard the DLC is going to bring back the timer.

Doom: Fuck me, for $20 bucks or whatever I paid for this, game had my heart pounding at times as I was flying around with absolute demon chaos going on, grab it if you see it cheap again, I usually do not like FPS but they nailed this, absolutely nailed. 9.5/10
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Rate the last game you finished

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Metro 2033 Redux

Selected this as intermission between my just finished Witcher 2 and currently downloading Witcher 3.

The only posts I remember back when the original released were about its hefty recommended specs. Did anyone play it? The redux version is the same game using the Last Light engine. It also gives you the option to play survival mode (as per the original game with less ammo available) or Spartan mode (run and gun which is the Last Light default style). I hadn't played the original so went with Survival to get the original experience. I didn't find myself remotely short of ammo during the game in Survival mode however. On the contrary I was overflowing with weapons options.

Super scripted, hand-holder of a shooter set in post-apocalyptic Moscow. So scripted is the game it will at times take control of your dude and performs a series of tasks (opening doors, climbing onto things) with zero player input required. The shooting is broken up by various stations where you can stop, eavesdrop (your guy doesn't talk), trade items, read diary entries. The actual shooting is excellent. Weapons are varied and all feel effective. Shoot a human in the head and they go down. There are a bunch of non-human melee enemies in the game which are generally less fun to fight. I like the ideas behind getting past some of the mutant enemies even if the idea seems more fun than the actual doing. I personally found the story hard to follow. I got the general gist but I wasn't entirely sure why I was performing some tasks. Not an uncommon thing among shooters and it didn't detract overly from the fun.

Visuals and sound are very good. The effects when wearing your gas mask (blood splatters, condensation, general filth) look great and I like that you can hand-wipe your grotty mask with a keystroke. Every review you read about this game talks of deep immersion and they are right. What a gloriously rendered shit hole it is. Textures seemed a bit low res compared to other modern games. It's around 8gb in total and I finished my play through in 10 hours.

Impressive game, ran super smooth throughout. Good enough that I will play again in Spartan mode to explore more and nab a few more achievements.

8/10.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Titanfall 2

What a pleasant surprise. Yes it's a tad on the short side but the campaign is fantastic. Almost every level has a unique twist to the gameplay, the section Rorschach mentioned was a standout (reminded me a little of Metroid Prime 2 as well as the games you mentioned) but I also really enjoyed the urban assembly line in the previous area. It was one of those moments where you catch yourself thinking "why hasn't this been done before?", it just seems so obvious in hindsight- always a sign of a solid idea being executed well. Level design was top notch from go to woah, and while it didn't quite pip the classic Halo 1 Warthog run (what ever will?) I thought that final sequence gave it a red hot go. Banter between bloke and robot was entertaining throughout without being lame, some of BT's deadpan responses actually made me lol. I played this through in two sittings and very nearly called off a social occasion to make it one.

Some attempt was made to give the bosses character, but mechanically the fights were the same as any other enemy Titan encounter only with more health and some forgettable dialogue- it's probably worth noting I was only on Regular difficulty. More generally I felt a lot more vulnerable in the Titan compared to when on foot, which seems counter-intuitive. If you suddenly come under heavy fire as the bloke, you've got options, but the Titan gets hammered unless you happen to be within boosting distance of a big enough piece of cover. I tried each loadout for a little while as I found them but kept gravitating back toward the one you start with as it always felt well-rounded, where the others often left me unable to defend myself (I think one other loadout had the same shield but the primary weapon was a rocket launcher with incredibly low ROF). I dunno, maybe I should have been playing more aggressively. At least a couple of times I respawned with an enemy Titan right up my arse and was promptly beaten to death before I could turn around. After 3-4 restarts the game seemed to realise it had goofed up and moved my spawn location, so props for that.

Didn't try the multiplayer (factor that into the score), but this comes highly recommended just for the campaign. If Respawn took these same elements and threw them together in a metroidvania structure, it would be one of the best games ever made. As it stands, it's really bloody good, and I'm a dickhead for not playing it in time to include it in my GOTY 2016 vote. 8.5/10.

Hard to imagine Doom impressing as much as this but it will get its chance shortly.