PS5 thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Yoshi Sonic

PS5 thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Saw something on a car interest website about a PS5 at CES, and how there might be a grouse ray-traced GT coming with an updated VR headset - so I booted up tapatalk to un-biased find out what that’s all about.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: PS5 thread

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Sony not at E3 2020.
PS5 launch event in early February.

I'll almost certainly buy a PS5 at launch. Very happy Sony customer this gen.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Same here. I skipped the Pro and my launch model PS4 is on its last legs so with the BC it only makes sense. Out with the old, in with the new.

I only hope they don't do anything too weird with the controller.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That sucks. I tend to look forward to their conference. They better make up for it.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Sony not appearing at e3 is disappointing to say the least, I'm guessing the leaked performance numbers of ~8-9.2tf are true, won't look good against XSX. Also many of their studios have released games in the last 2 years, I get the feeling they will be light on content to show as game development now is a 3-5 year process for AAA titles.

So they just won't have enough interesting stuff to show and fill up a 2hr slot. So just releasing trailers/details on games when they're ready and close to release is probably the way forward.

I don't know, this new gen of consoles is feeling a bit lackluster with respect to hype. We're 10 months from launch and know practically nothing about the systems and potential games, guessing it's going to be a lot of the usual cross gen stuff and maybe a few tech demos masquerading as a game. E3 has been the place to hype new consoles launches, Sony are banking on a lot of loyalty by doing a no show.

I'm more excited for Ampere and Big Navi right now. I've gotten too spoiled with high FPS PC games and RDR2 recently brought to light just where I should spend my time these days, they need to do a lot more to get me onboard these days. They kinda used up their 4k HDR upgrade incentive with mid gen refreshes. I've been doing the Ray Tracing thing on PC already and I doubt these consoles will have the chops to do RT like a 2nd gen Ampere will.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The reveal will be next month which isn’t far off. I think by then we’ll have a clearer picture on specs.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I’d just about cancel my sub to Rocco’s Patreon page to save for a new console with real time raytracing coupled with higher res/Hz VR, and a launch release of GT.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Finally.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Sony must be pretty confident to come out so soon after the X. It's not like Microsoft haven't been telling the world what they've got for a long time now.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Series X faster GPU, Faster CPU, no variable boost frequency shit, Cerny said in the stream that BC isn't 100% compatible. :nana:
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

They knew about the XSX and still undercooked it. I was hoping for pretty much parity this time. Though it almost seems like they wanted to leave room for a PS5 Pro.

Sony could have released a 6TF PS5 and it would still probably lead the race. MS aren't in the same position they were after the 360. So will people care that it's more powerful?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

What's the difference for dummies? What % is Series X more powerful? And what does this mean for games? Is it like the difference between an Xbox One S and a base model PS4? Or is it more like the difference between a Xbox One X and a base model PS4?

Or will it be barely noticeable in the real world?

What's the story with PS5 BC?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Series X is 20-30% faster. Series X fully supports all xbox one games and with enhancements like Auto HDR and 4x resolution scaling for select titles going forward.

Series X has substantially more Intersect/RT engines, 44% more, it's why could demo full path tracing. Series X has VRS support and DirectML for running machine learning algos on the GPU(int8/int16 ops).

Basically it just means 3rd party games will run 20-30% better or have extra detail settings at the same framerate/res. Kinda the same stuff we've seen already, there will be more likely more ray tracing effects/quality on X.

PS5 BC, Cerny was very sketchy saying they've tested top 100 games and most of them work fine, there are issues running PS4 code on PS5 with certain titles and so games needed to be tweaked, besides running at faster speeds there appear to be no resolution enhancements etc. It looks like that PS5 BC won't be a 100% solution and you'll need to check lists to see if your game is supported.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

https://wccftech.com/df-ps5s-variable-c ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the other hand, the PS5 is quite less powerful than the Xbox Series X when it comes to the CPU and especially the GPU. Not only is the official TFLOPs count quite different (12 for the Xbox Series X and 10.28 for the PS5), Sony's next-generation console is also using variable frequency on both CPU and GPU, unlike Xbox Series X.

This means that the CPU frequency won't always be at 3.5 GHz and most importantly the GPU frequency won't always be at 2.23 GHz, which would be insanely high. In fact, our hardware team (who's crafting a deep dive analysis right now) at Wccftech believes the usual clock could be well below that frequency, leading to a much lower TFLOPs count.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

It's the software/user experience that has me more excited for the Xbox.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

It's interesting they put so much into SSD I/O. We'll see how it plays out for first party games seeing it's n/a for cross platform. It's such a console wars thing to see teraflops become such a prominent unit of measure for PS5 vs XSX. Can anyone else remember seeing teraflops front and centre in the console or PC GPU space prior to this?
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

It was always about polygons before.

Just the latest way of trying to communicate how powerful a system is. Though who really knows what a TF is or why more are better?

Also saw a slide in one of those videos stating Sony's goals for the storage solution.

1 Sec boot, no loading screens, instant load after death, fast travel that is actually fast.

The only game I've played lately where the experience could be greatly helped by this is Jedi Fallen Order. That game infuriates me.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Seems kind of misleading by Sony, as we were led to believe PS5 was indeed B/C with PS4, now games require “tweaking” by devs.

10tflops is more than enough. Now just imagine if devs made games from the ground up for XBX1. They would look insane, but in some ways the XB1 hardware is holding them back, which is why the tflop count doesn’t bother me. Translation: Games are going to look amazing next gen.

For the record I didn’t watch the Mark Cerny introduction, but it seems it didn’t go down well with most and left many disappointed.

All I want is some actual games to be shown and live played, a look in the OS, like they did for the PS4.

Sony need to up their game because as I see it, MS are already leading them.

Oh, how could I forget. An actual look at the console!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

This is piss poor, there is no guarantee many of your old games will ever work, meaning you need to keep your old console around. :down:
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

PS3 2.0 confirmed. Reckon MS wrote off the Xbone a year or two into the life cycle and have been doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes. Sony caught napping again.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Agreed. Just like every other Microsoft product, we should be dodging every other release :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I watched at least 3 minutes of that DF Direct video, and my comprehensive technical analysis is that PS5 is going to be about 30% more bursty and the SSD will be so fast it can load DLC into memory before you even purchase the game.
flipswitch
que
que

PS5 thread

Post by flipswitch »

Don’t forget better audio:
When it came to the section about sound, Cerny left his audience with the distinct feeling that the PS5 would not be supporting Dolby Atmos. The PS5 will output native 3D audio using a newly-designed 'Tempest Engine' with Cerny stating that he wanted to include far more than just the 34 speakers that Atmos can manage. It also means that many more TV sound devices will be able to leverage the PS5's surround virtualisation and not just Atmos-certified ones.
With more processing power, Sony is investing heavily in 3D audio via a dedicated Tempest Engine with custom designs to make sound appear more realistic and situational
JASON: So let me be clear. So what I'm hearing from people actually working on these things is that the Xbox is not significantly more powerful than the PlayStation, despite this teraflops number, and that the teraflops -- it might be a useful measure of comparison in some ways, but ultimately it's a theoretical max speed, and there are so many things that could come between where you are trying to get and what you are actually able to do, to the point where the GPU could have X number of flops that it can actually perform, but if the developer isn't able to actually access all of it for whatever reason, then it doesn't even matter, and there are so many other variables here that go into it.

This is going to lead to weeks and weeks of talk about how Xbox is the most powerful console, and so on. Meanwhile I'm getting texts even today from developers being like this is such a shame -- the PS5 is superior in all these other ways that they're not able to message right now or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people in the past couple of hours since the Cerny thing being like, wow, the PS5 is actually the more superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways, despite what we were seeing in these spec sheets.
The truth will be out soon. ( I’m kidding) but show us some damn games. I want to see what I could be playing later this year after it gets delayed due to the virus.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I have a Dolby Atmos home theater setup, I'd like Dolby Atmos thanks, not Sony's version of it.

I don't see how you'll be able to output to surround height speakers with their format, PCM over hdmi can't do that many channels.

Looks like they didn't want to pay the license fee. Also xbox one X and windows has Sonic Spatial Audio, MS's free Spatial audio for headphones, I use this on PC and it's very good, does all the HRTF full 3D positional audio. Sony playing a bit of catch up in the spatial audio scene.

Series X performance is sustained numbers, with all processors and systems going at it. Sony's numbers are burst peak numbers, it all falls in a heap once you load up the CPU/GPU and sustained performance is much lower, more like 9TF.

Anyone in the industry that uses boost clocks always gives a sustained base clock, Sony refused to give us that because it tells the true real world performance which widens the gap between the 2 systems. Sony desperately overclocking to stay relevant.

Here is a visualisation of what I'm talking about.

Also another thing to consider is clocks will fall over time as Ray Tracing gets used more, the intersection RT engine runs in parallel to the shaders and pulls extra power, the extra power pulled will reduce clocks to keep the GPU within it's power limit.

This is something I've experience first hand with RTX games on a 2080ti, the GPU clock falls by 100mhz because the Ray tracing engines compute is power intensive.