Bioshock - IGN has 15 minutes of ingame footage

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Bioshock - IGN has 15 minutes of ingame footage

Post by Pat »

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/793/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ids_1.html
Exclusive: First BioShock Video
Feast your eyes on the very first video footage of Irrational's exceptional new game.
by Douglass C. Perry

September 20, 2006 - When a game wins multiple Electronic Entertainment Exposition Game Critics awards, people tend to get excited. Here at IGN, despite the awe generated by Nintendo's fabulous new Wii, we took a fancy to BioShock with more than just a little lust and glee. Created by Irrational Studios (SWAT, Freedom Force, System Shock 2, Tribes Vengeance) and led by Ken Levine, BioShock has all the trappings of what this next generation of systems is supposed to be about superb graphics, excellent technology, and new gameplay experiences. BioShock looks to expand the first-person shooter with startlingly keen AI systems and behaviors, original art design, and a rich, deep, creepy story that will unnerve you.

Shoot, manipulate, sneak, it's all part of living in Rapture.
Today, IGN has the pleasure of delivering the very first in-game video footage of BioShock in high definition. What you'll see is a 15-minute demonstration based on the Xbox 360 build narrated by President and Lead Designer Ken Levine. This original demo was first shown at E3 in May, however, it's been re-done using the latest build of the game for this demonstration. Wonder why it hasn't been shown to this date? 2K Games and Irrational have been exceptionally careful with their property, taking time to create a really good, high quality video feature to show it off in the best possible light. This is it.

Pay particular attention to the water visuals, the real-time lighting and shadows, and look around at the underwater dystopia of Rapture. It's a beautifully imagined world ravaged by conflicting ideologies, genetic mutations, and in the background, this imaginary civilization is slowly being taken over by nature itself. Irrational's art direction is handled with an erudite touch. The art deco architecture, movie posters, and attention to detail are top grade. Aside from the graphics, the gameplay in this demo is revealed slowly, starting with basic AI behaviors and moving onto action, system and AI manipulation. Be patient. It's a 15-minute video walkthrough; and Levine takes his time to explain the story and concept. He gives you time to soak it all up before the action takes place and then as you're getting anxious, wondering if it will happen at all, it comes flooding in.

One last note; this is a huge video file. Downloading it will take time, but we promise this will be worth it.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/733/733807p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just quietly - this looks fucking incredible.
Pat

Post by Pat »

By the way Candy, hand in your concession speech for the pimp challenge now. This game will be getting an Edge 10.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Looking Sensational!

Water looks awesome.

GOTY 2007
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Just quietly, I hate it when Pat says "just quietly". :D

Anyway, this game does indeed look awesome. Can't wait to see the vid (have to wait till I'm home :()
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ill try stop then eh mech. Become a bit of a habit perhaps :D

And yeah - the vid is fucking sensational. Lighting, water effects - the environment is just so incredibly detailed.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

The game has been cursed. I'm not looking forward to it any more.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

someone get that lost odyssey video and post impressions. I won't be able to download it for another 6-7 hours. Damn there's a lot of cool games coming to light right now, without even touching the AAA titles that we already know about.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

The mood and feel of the world they've created looks really unique. The graphics and art design look very nice, especially the water-filled bathroom they showed.

Mind you it doesn't look like a game I would personally get hyped over, I can definitely see the appeal to it. While they showed only a fraction of the game, it doesn't seem to have a very big scope in terms of environement - nothing epic feeling like Halo. I think this looks more like one of those quiet FPS with a unique campy feel, like the supermarket christmas shopping in Blue Stinger, only no where near as shitty as that game. :lol:

Bring on Gears of War and Halo 3.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Halo 2 isn't half the game System Shock 2 is.

Apparently.

Hell, Halo 2 is barely half a game as it is.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

stay away of these potentially good games pat.
get pack to pimping rubbish like just cause please :)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just Cause isnt in my list. I only pimp quality.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I have seen/heard you pimping just cause.
Pat

Post by Pat »

The demo was good. Apparently its not a keeper though. Missions get same-y after a while.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I had to laugh when he said "We're not about fps or gaming cliches", then proceeded to wheel out 10 minutes of Sentry guns, Light Switches, Speedups, Cameras requiring shooting or stealth, collecting ammo off corpses, security bots, water effects, mutants, and open levels.

About the 11 minute mark it got interesting.

Don't get me wrong, this game looks really, really good. I don't think the theme has enough to carry it to be a major hit though. More of a niche, highly respected poor seller - Psychonauts style.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Twiztid have u played System Shock 2 before?

Sure all the fps cliches will be present in the game.

But its the way each will be implemented(plus some new game ideas) along with the visuals that will give Bioshock so much atmosphere and set it apart from other fps. IMO.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

No I haven't.
Pat

Post by Pat »

The thing it has going for it is that multiple strategies are equally valid. You are actively encouraged to pursue non-action-hero solutions to all the problems in the Shock games.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Just watched the vid. It's definitely reminiscent of a Shock game. It's good and bad. Good because System Shock 2 really is an awesome game. The bad is I struggle to play through these games simply because I'm too much of a wuss. BioShock looks to have that same feeling of loneliness that system shock 2 had. My nerves just can't cope! The screams of those 'slicers' or whatever they were called.. eek!

Edit: And just watched the Lost Odyssey vid - I liked what I saw. As IGN says, the game really does go from CG to real-time seamlessly, I didn't even realise at first.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OMFG that looks so shit fucking hot!!!!!!!!!!!11
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]