Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Redfall... err, I like it.

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The Redfall disaster. Flogged by most if not all professional reviewers. Phil going on air to slag it and himself off in one of the more blatant acts of corporate self-flagellation I've seen. What must the Redfall team feel like after this.

The game? It's perfectly fine. I like the art style. On PC my stability and performance is good with none of the texture pop-in seen on Series X. Some drops here and there but in this current age of PC ports Refall is one of the better performing launches I've played. Exploration is fun. The deserted town vibe and looting of empty houses and abandoned cars reminds me heavily of Generation Zero. The big negative is pricing this at $120 for a game that comes off like a bare-bones indie or double-A open world shooter that does nothing that hasn't been done better before. I can understand review scores reflecting the price for what you get this but for me this is easily a 7/10 game. Some reviewers are saying its irredeemable and should be canned. I think there's a perfectly decent foundation here. A lot of the published negativity is overdone IMO and of course it feeds an all-consuming wave of shit-talk that can end a new IP before it gets a chance to build an audience. Redfall sales weren't amazing to begin with so they're already challenged on the audience front.

Anyway, a shame because I like Redfall.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Redfall... err, I like it.

Post by Froggy »

Interesting, I installed it last night too so I can give it a go sometime this week. I figured, with the patching going on it's probably a lot better now than when the reviews came out so there's a chance I'm surprised. What you've posted here is encouraging, I think it suffers a bit too where neck beards were eager to jump on it if it's faltered even a little bit because of the prominence this and Starfield have with the Xbox 2023 release list/"Success". Pulling it down gives rise to all these stories they can write on the future of xbox, Xbox SX failure, end of Phil etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Interested to read your take.

Downloaded a 1.8gb patch to 1.01 just now. Patch notes are thin listing only two load/crash issues and an update at the server end.

I'm about six hours in now and my enjoyment continues. Traversing the world has taken me into some interesting and unexpected interiors I've enjoyed exploring. This is a proper horror game at times.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I had a 6 hour session of it last night with a couple of mates. I quite liked the setting and the atmosphere, dropping in after they had started I was a bit confused as to what was going on so took a while to get around that and what all the weapons do and are for. After that didn't see many people or vampires for ages but then later on started to get big groups of cultists and vampires coming at us so I wonder if it ratchets up with the player levels? As it went from a fairly empty town to coming across vampires or cultists most places we went. Didn't have any of the major bugs that I can think of (from the xbox side) and the connection was overall but a little janky/laggy every now and then, a little bit of texture pop in when I was dropping in from a real height etc. My main gripe is that besides open world vampire hunting the rest of it seems.. real dated. Like the whole idea and game play with picking up all the notes etc and the loot systems just all seem a bit samey.

I think they need to give the vampires a bit more pizazz too, like I meet what I assume are "famous" ones but they need to throw some personality around them somehow. I was only in the 2nd suburb/section (didn't get to see any of the 1st), then I found out if we went to the 3rd we could never go back to the second (not sure wtf is with that) so we didn't leave it whilst we were doing all the stuff. I'll be back on it sometime this weekend, was pretty fun with other people so it does seem like I've avoided most of the major launch issues.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Yeah the UI, loot, currency system and cosmetic stuff like costumes and weapon skins is half-baked. As mentioned other games have done it way better and not charged anywhere near $120 for it. Everything else hits the spot for me - exploration, map, locations, visuals and even weapons/gunplay. Some of the mission stories and locations are excellent. I'm playing as Layla and I'm not that enamoured with her abilities though. She's a bit weak against vampires with her hit and miss telekinetic umbrella shield and aerial lift. I reckon the stealth character Jacob would be much more fun to play solo. I'm tempted to start him up now but I'm having enough fun with Layla to finish the playthrough. Hopefully her abilities improve as I unlock more skills.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Vampire nests. When I started doing them I went in to kill all the vampires. Later on as the difficulty increases that sort of becomes untenable (for Layla on Midnight difficulty anyway) as you're ganked by around a dozen of 'em. I've learned nests are intended to be stealthed. Once you destroy the heart all the enemies are destroyed also. Another option is to take advantage of your superior speed and just hightail it around the map with vampires in pursuit.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Haven't done a Vampire Nest yet. We ran off doing some side quests, I wasted a couple of hours when I quickly scooped up all these photos which I didn't think meant anything but were showing where to look when we got to the spots on the map lol. Then I realised I can see on the photos in the inventory and that made life easier.. still wasn't that easy to find the places we were going and each place had a bunch of cultists/vampires as well. Along the way we were getting distracted by things to do so whilst the map was a bit dead life wise there isn't a shortage of things to investigate.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

The devs sure went dark after this launched. Not a single community update let alone patch in almost a month. I guess the 60fps patch is still incoming for XBox? They're obliged to release the two new characters people bought with the 'Bite Back' edition too. Redfall looking pretty abandoned thus far.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Good to see some comms and a 1.1 patch release. Still waiting for the XBox 60fps update.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/78dNMNH ... ease-notes
A Note from Arkane Austin:

Fellow Vampire Slayers,
We’re grateful to see that millions of you have explored the quaint but dangerous open world of Redfall. Building a play space this large has been humbling to say the least. We recognize that we still have work to do, and we plan to address as much as we can, as quickly as we can.
Your feedback has helped highlight key areas for improvement:
- Enemy AI responsiveness
- Enemy encounter frequency
- Vampire combat efficiency
- Improvements to graphical fidelity
Today’s release is only our first patch and introduces a lot of incremental fixes that will improve Redfall. Once available, we will be sharing more information about future updates, including our 60 FPS Performance mode, on our official social channels (@PlayRedfall).
We really appreciate everyone who’s been sharing gameplay clips and providing detailed feedback on Discord, Reddit, & Twitter – it means a lot! Thanks again for your support and patience. See you in Redfall.

-Arkane Austin
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

You had a go since the patch? I've been snowed under from work but hopefully coming out the other side of it in a couple of weeks so ready to ramp up into the games I've had sitting there. I'm erring on the side that taking their time with this patch means they properly sorted it instead of rushing one out each day (ala afl23) and making somethings better but breaking others.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I'll get back to Redfall. Diablo 4 has ruled my sessions of late - it's that kind of game. Am keeping an eye on Redfall's progress.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Not a peep since the one and only June patch. I recall Phil S promising this game would be supported. Still no 60fps update for xbox, no word/update about the Bite Back Edition content which users have bought and paid for. Maybe the devs are hard at work on a huge update that will redeem the game, maybe they've moved on, maybe they haven't made up their mind yet. Could do with an update either way.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

They've either given up or possibly going for a soft relaunch. With the games coming out at the moment it's not in their interest to announce/talk about anything as it'll get lost so maybe if there's a gap in the calendar after starfield they can push a major update coming into Christmas season. I'd be shocked if it's not updated for sure.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

27gb update downloading now. XBox performance mode is finally here. A long list of fixes and additions in the patch notes.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/2ruysKH ... ease-notes