Sony Toky Game Show conference on now.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Sony Toky Game Show conference on now.

Post by Pat »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eurogamer have a live update article running again. We'll see if anything interesting happens/
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Riiiiiiidge Racerrrr!!!1
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Ridge Racer?
First up - Ridge Racer 7. Super hi-def - very varied environments compared to previous games in the series, with lots of jungle and countryside environs as well as cities and other urban environments. All looks quite static, still, but definitely the best looking game in the series to date. Launch title.
Pat

Post by Pat »

He's going on about Distributed Computing I believe....
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

This seems to link into an earlier comment about how game developers (good lord! A comment about games? You mean the PS3 plays those as well?) can use network available maps to create realistic environments.
Err we already have a game that does that, its called Test Drive unlimited. the whole island is built on GPS real world data. It's accurate representation of the island up to 3m apparently.
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

Yeh don't think they're saying they invented it more saying that it's a great tool and they hope more developer's adopt it or can adopt it.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

To be honest, i'm a little sick of Ridge Racer now. Graphics really don't make or break that series of games, cause i thought there wasn't much difference between the 360/PSP version (aside from graphics), but it's just too "samey" now. The PSP version broke the mould slightly, the 360 copied it with a few refinements, and now it seems the PS3 version will do the same... Boring. :down:
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

God this is boring.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Sooo boring.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

And that's it - it's all over. Barely a game in sight, which is an extraordinarily poor show. There were some useful nuggets buried in the nonsense about networks, but overall this has been a hugely disappointing and vague showing from a company with a lot to prove before their console launches in a few weeks. Let's hope the show floor is better, eh readers?
Pat

Post by Pat »

So looks like theyve gone down the XBox style microtransactions and Nintendo style VC/emulation with the patent Sony style yawn conference technology.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Even I'm not going to attempt to spin this one :thumbsdown:
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Arrogance - 'We think it's so good that we wont even show anything on it.'
So typicaly SCE.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I can't believe they actually could do a worse presentation than what they did at E3. :down:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Home button - check
Online gaming service - check
Friend's list - check
Consumables - check
Hard drive - check
Motion sensing controller - check
Achievements - check
Downloadable retro games - check
Downloadable emulators - check
Online connectivity with mobile devices - check
Connectivity with portable games machine - check

Two ways to spin this:

1.PS3 does everything Wii and 360 do, for $50 cheaper (minus two free games and rumble, but plus HD movie capability out of the box)

2. Sony are ripoffs of everything anyone else ever comes up with.

That's enough ammo for the day. :D
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

The lies usually stop just before launch. The Hype has already been built now it's time to keep their mouths shut and hope the mainstream dont notice.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

What word does Sony use for their achievements again?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

It's so stupid I can't even think of it..
Pat

Post by Pat »

Muzza wrote:What word does Sony use for their achievements again?
Entitlements.

Doesnt even make sense.
mech

Post by mech »

Pat wrote:Home button - check
Online gaming service - check
Friend's list - check
Consumables - check
Hard drive - check
Motion sensing controller - check
Achievements - check
Downloadable retro games - check
Downloadable emulators - check
Online connectivity with mobile devices - check
Connectivity with portable games machine - check

Two ways to spin this:

1.PS3 does everything Wii and 360 do, for $50 cheaper (minus two free games and rumble, but plus HD movie capability out of the box)

2. Sony are ripoffs of everything anyone else ever comes up with.

That's enough ammo for the day. :D
I suppose the Xbox 360 was a totally innovative console that didn't rip off anything before it as well? Same with the Xbox?

Sheesh Pat. Your anti-Sony crusade is reaching ridiculous proportions. A lot of the stuff on that list is so fucking obvious you can't even rag out Sony for doing it.

I also find it amusing that MS is the only company without a motion sensing controller this gen despite being the first (major?) company to come out with such a product. Just quietly (:D), perhaps there's a good reason that it never caught on.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sheesh mech, 99% of that post was editorial free. I simply provided facts and 2 possible ways to spin those facts. If youre a Sony fan, pick 1. If not, pick 2. :P
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Impression from the show floor thanks to blimblim
Blimblim from GAF:

I've just walked around the booths for about 40 minutes, looking for most of the big PS3 games. I've still have to see a few, and of course these are just impressions of what I saw other people playing and it will have to be confirmed while playing with a pad. The first videos should be online in about one hour or a bit more.

Devil May Cry 4: No surprise here, this is some typical Capcom goodness. Fans of the series won't be disappointed as the gameplay and the camera system looks a lot like what we had in DMC3, but of course the graphics took a severe upgrade. Very smooth moving too.
MGS4: The trailer is running on a loop at Konami's booth. It looks as hot as ever, obviously, but I was a tad badly surprised by the framerate from time to time.
Lair: The gameplay sequences in flight in the mountains look really good, but once you get close to the castles and the humans on the ground it looks a bit weird. I you do not like HDR effects you will hate that game with a passion as they are almost overdone. The framerate is also very jerky.
Motorstorm: I had never seen this game running in real life before, and what I saw was quite disappointing. The physics are excellent, but the framerate is all over the place, and worst of all the speed sensation was totally lacking. This is one game I really want to go back and check out again as I simply couldn't believe my eyes. I hope it was only that the 4 people playing at that time didn't know what they were doing...
Gran Turismo HD: Now this is something I never think I'd saw, ever. Imagine a Gran Turismo games being shown with slowdowns? Well, this is happening right now on the moutain track at least. Something must be wrong with the demo units.
Virtua Fighter 5: A perfect arcade port, already running at a perfect 60 fps on a lot of demo stations. Very good looking.
Virtua Tennis 3: Another perfect port, running on 1080p screens and looking very very sharp. Replays and closeups are running at 30 fps though.
Ridge Racer 7: Honestly if I had been told it was a "track pack" for Ridge Racer 6 I'd have believed it. It still looks good, it's very smooth, but there is now "wow awesome" moment either. The boost effect looked a bit weird.

That's it for now. I'm very surprised by the number of games really lacking in the framerate department. The devs still have a few weeks to optimize their games for launch though, so hopefully everything will be fine in the end.

For the moment I'm mostly covering the PS3, 360 will have to wait until some issues have been resolved with Microsoft.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

So VT3 is 1080p and 60fps then.