Ouch

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Ouch

Post by mech »

Everyone knows how successful the PS2 has been, but what's a bit surprising is that the aging console has been outselling the Xbox 360 in recent months. Furthermore, according to the NPD Group's TRST data, the Xbox 360 is actually off to a slower start than the original Xbox. Looking at retail sales for the respective consoles' first nine months shows the Xbox at 2.55 million units and the Xbox 360 at 2.21 million units.

"What I've read widely and what I've heard from MS is, 'Yeah, we got beat last generation but that's because we were late to market and came out a year after PS2 did and that's why we got defeated and that's not going to happen again.' Yes, the PS2 was beating the Xbox 5 or 6 years ago, but now the PS2 is beating the Xbox 360... Year-to-date we've sold more hardware than they have and this past month we've sold more hardware," Tretton boasted. "So we beat them in their last generation machine and we're beating them in their current generation machine. And if I were Microsoft, the big concern I'd have is... Xbox 360 is actually doing worse than the original Xbox did."
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So wtf is up with that? Overall 360 is selling more than Xbox did worldwide, but that's just because it launched in more markets earlier. Weird, because it's got a pretty good buzz. Would love to see some numbers on how much PS2 sold in its first 9-12 months.

The weird thing is I would say the buzz is better on the 360 than the Xbox, in my opinion, maybe because there's nothing out in the market in the "next-gen" sector with it to compare its numbers against.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I think it's doing well but probably not as well as ms would like. Their time advantage is just about up, christmas will be big for 360 but I don't think they'll hit the 10 million units shipped mark like they had hoped. More lik 7-8 million. It's doing great in the states, but europe is slow and japan is dead.

PS3 though is still a very pricey machine, so i have no idea how the market it gonna react. If ms can keep up with sony on a monthly shipped unit basis then the early launch would of been worth it.
mech

Post by mech »

I reckon Halo was what sold so many more Xboxes for them in the first place, they really need a "killer app" for the 360. Lots of great games, but nothing on the Halo scale of things.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:I reckon Halo was what sold so many more Xboxes for them in the first place, they really need a "killer app" for the 360. Lots of great games, but nothing on the Halo scale of things.
You hit the nail on the head right here IMO.

The 360 has had nothing exclusive that was an absolute killer. It has some great games... even the best versions of many. But no Halo or GTA game yet to really bring in the numbers.

I think that when PS3 launches, 360 will improve also. Mainstream will see the price of PS3 and possibly opt for the 360. I honestly don't think the mainstream gamers are aware of how expensive the PS3 will be.

Having said that... i can't see MS doing better then tying with Sony this gen. They can't win it.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Having said that... i can't see MS doing better then tying with Sony this gen. They can't win it.
I think ms know they can't outright win it, i think their strategy is too gain market share this gen and not loose money. Then set things up for the generation after to actually win it.

Yeah mech the halo factor was a big thing for xbox, the 360 does still lack that exclusive killer app. i think GOW might be the halo the machine needs. Then next year Halo3+movie should be huge for the format.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

But Halo was a freak occurance- a 'system seller' at launch rarely happens. The only other one I can think of is Mario 64. Soul Calibur maybe, but that was more of a case of the best game being available at the start, not a system seller, per se.

Every console needs a system seller. It was just fortunate for the Xbox that that game was at launch.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

SUpply problems may have something to do with this problem.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

The PS2 will sell more than the PS3 just as the SNES did with the N64 and so on. People can get a PS2 with EyeToy and SingStar for hundreds less than a core Xbox 360. This will all change soon enough when people move on from the PS2 (I still find that hard to believe, it feels like yesterday when I bought one at launch).
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

IMO it's a matter of Price and Hype.

There wasn't as much hype with the release of the Xbox360.

The average Joe Bogan still thinks that the PS2 is the be all and end all of gaming, and now that they're at a price that is low low low it's not surprising that they're outselling the 360 which is nearly thrice the price. The PS2 represents excellent value, with a massive catalogue of games to cater to almost any taste. In addition the 360 is optimised for 16:9 HDTVs which quite frankly most people don't have the luxury of owning. Whilst the improved graphics aren't the only benefit of the 360 over the PS2/Xbox generation, many people aren't willing to fork out the big bucks for a new system when they feel the old one still has a lot to offer them.

The same will ring true IMO when the PS2 is launched, however by that time I expect to see a drop inthe 360 price facilitating greater uptake. In addition the release of new games will bring those that were otherwise hesitant into the 360 camp.
Pat

Post by Pat »

360 will not win the worldwide total sales competition, no way. Considering the third largest territory wants nothing to do with it basically cements this as FACT!

That said, there is no reason why MS cant be the market leader in the EU and NA regions - as soon as GTA IV and Halo 3 are available to buy at the same time, sales should skyrocket relative to whatever it had sold up til that point.

The key for PS2 last gen was probably GTA3 being exclusive for so long. A single breakout title this gen, for any system, could completely change the outcome.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

But it's not just the widescreen. Most of us here have broadband, but what about Joe Average? So much of the 360's hype comes from Live... the console is fine without it, but nobody tells you that, it's like without broadband, you can't even use the system.

And while we're at it, won't somebody please think of the children. I saw a survey early on which showed that the majority of children planned to buy a PS3 on launch. Now, we all know that the number that will actually buy this will be zero... it's their parents. It will be interesting to see the reaction of them to the price especially, and whether they buy a 360 as compensation. That being said, if I were a parent, even a 360 would be too expensive.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah amba, these systems have a long way to go before they reach the mass market prices and radar. One thing i have noticed now is last gen software development is finally starting to wind up, developers are now focused on next gen platforms, so those looking for a new game fix will need to look past their ps2/xbox for it now, something not the case for while now. That and price drops next year will get more people on the bandwagon.
MCWrang
XBL ID: MCWrang
Steam ID: MCWrang

Post by MCWrang »

and the extra couple million just waiting for halo 3 before they get one. sheesh, haha
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

60% of xbox360s are connected to live... dial up is on the way out.
mech

Post by mech »

Someone saw my 360 the other day and said "Oh do you have the latest playstation?"

People just don't get the brand recognition, it's crazy.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I remember when I was with my ex and her mother said "We have a playstation!"... it was a master system 2 :lol:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

The only people who buy launch consoles at full price are us types generally.
So many people are waiting for the inevitable price drop. I know of several.

None of the competition is out yet either. A lot of people would be taking a wait and see approach. Once all 3 are out, folks will make their decision. Perhaps the 360 did come out a little early this gen too as people have said a million times. Then again, even MS didn't expect the PS3 to be so late.
kwijibo

Post by kwijibo »

Twiztid Elf wrote: So many people are waiting for the inevitable price drop. I know of several.

None of the competition is out yet either. A lot of people would be taking a wait and see approach. Once all 3 are out, folks will make their decision.
That pretty much sums up me right now. I think I spend far too much on video games already, but I dont compare to you guys who plan to get all 3 :shock:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

I'm waiting for first price drop or wireless/60GB included.

Couldn't really give a toss about HD-DVD really. Being an Apple zealot I'm not going to be using or burning to HD-DVD anyway.