PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Attn: Dell 2405FPW owners.

Post by lestat »

You're 360 1080p vga ready.

I did some tests tonight and 1080p over vga syncs no problem. It actually looks pretty much identical to dvi sharpness wise which is great. 1080p also works through dvi, but no hdcp so as long as gaming doesn't enable hdcp over hdmi you should be able to use it for gaming. Movies are out of the question.

1080p over component i think is a no go, the genesis chipset used by the panel only states support for up to 1080i, so 1080p will most likely not sync at all. So your options are vga/dvi(unencrypted).
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

When Microsoft revealed it will support 1080p HD DVD and 1080p DVD upconversion we were surprised because it's commonly accepted that the CSS (DVD) and AACS (HD DVD & Blu-ray) copyright provisions wouldn't allow that (although some manufacturers have looked the other way before) via unprotected analog connections. We were right, sort of. Even after the software upgrade this fall, via component cables, the Xbox 360 will still only upconvert DVDs to 480p, and will play HD DVD movies at a maximum resolution of 1080i. To get 1080p output for movies, you must use a VGA cable, which is not subject to the same copyright restrictions. This just means the Xbox 360 is just like every other HD DVD and Blu-ray player on the market, but you wouldn't know that by reading Microsoft's press releases.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Brilliant. Will have to plug my PS3 into my dell :D Hope DVI 1080p works properly.

Hey does it have borders at 1080p? I would prefer if it did to tell you the truth (1:1 pixel mapping). You can set that as an option on the dell can't you...? (all I've done with mine is plug it straight into the computer so I haven't played with it much).
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:
When Microsoft revealed it will support 1080p HD DVD and 1080p DVD upconversion we were surprised because it's commonly accepted that the CSS (DVD) and AACS (HD DVD & Blu-ray) copyright provisions wouldn't allow that (although some manufacturers have looked the other way before) via unprotected analog connections. We were right, sort of. Even after the software upgrade this fall, via component cables, the Xbox 360 will still only upconvert DVDs to 480p, and will play HD DVD movies at a maximum resolution of 1080i. To get 1080p output for movies, you must use a VGA cable, which is not subject to the same copyright restrictions. This just means the Xbox 360 is just like every other HD DVD and Blu-ray player on the market, but you wouldn't know that by reading Microsoft's press releases.
:lol:

If a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movie has the ICT set whether its VGA, component or DVI isn't going to matter shit. If it doesn't have HDCP it'll be downsampled and if ICT isn't turned on 1080p is allowed even over component. To say "VGA is not subject to the same copyright restrictions" is a crock of shit.

I think what they meant to say is "Fuck. No 1080p over component." Not sure why though. Not like it matters anyway since there are exactly 3 TVs on the planet that support 1080p over component and every fucker and his dog is just going to be plugging it into a 24" Dell flat panel via VGA anyway.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote:Brilliant. Will have to plug my PS3 into my dell :D Hope DVI 1080p works properly.

Hey does it have borders at 1080p? I would prefer if it did to tell you the truth (1:1 pixel mapping). You can set that as an option on the dell can't you...? (all I've done with mine is plug it straight into the computer so I haven't played with it much).
Yeah you can use 1:1 or aspect scaling modes but you'll get slight borders because the input signal is wider in aspect than the dell. Fill mode will scale it to the native 1200p res. Although things will look a little taller than they should, i currently use fill mode on my 360 games, the 16:9->16:10 aspect is ok, i prefer it better than having borders on the screen. Both scaling options are available in vga/dvi.

Talez AACS actually prevents 1080p ever being an option over component for movies. It's also the reason why the 360 only upscaled dvd's over vga. Apparently vga gets around that restriction because there is provision for pc computer signals in AACS and vga is considered a pc signal. Hence it's not prevent from being able to display content at 1080p. But if ICT is enabled, hdmi is the only option to get the full frame.

Also I've been told that the 1080p component signal available for games is not the 24fps standard. It actually is full 1080p@60hz over component. Apparently component can do it. Currently not many tv's support it but samsung and a few other players are adding support for it. For gaming 1080p over component/vga is an option. Although most likely people will use vga just because there would be a lot more monitors out there that could accept 1080p@60hz over it.

I'm hoping ps3 doesn't enforce hdcp for gaming, i really don't feel like upgrading the dell.
every fucker and his dog is just going to be plugging it into a 24" Dell flat panel via VGA anyway.
Yep because honestly only those monitors can handle 1080p signals. There are very few 1080p tv's available and all those don't handle 1080p over hdmi. Some though can handle it via vga/dvi inputs. Also 1080p is useless unless you actually have a monitor with the resolution to resolve it. The dell is probably the most widespread 1080p capable display out there.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:Talez AACS actually prevents 1080p ever being an option over component for movies. It's also the reason why the 360 only upscaled dvd's over vga. Apparently vga gets around that restriction because there is provision for pc computer signals in AACS and vga is considered a pc signal. Hence it's not prevent from being able to display content at 1080p. But if ICT is enabled, hdmi is the only option to get the full frame.
AVS Radio sez Sony sez they're doing 1080p component for Blu-Ray

So I'm not quite sure how that works out. Either that or I heard incorrectly.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat

Post by lestat »

I find that hard to believe because if they do that they're not AACS complient. Plus now with the inclusion of hdmi in all systems. They can offer 1080p to all only through hdmi.