AFL Live (Xbox 360 and PS3) - OUT NOW!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Cardsy

AFL 2011 - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Cardsy »

:lol: Pretty sure DS games don't have textures.
Pat
The Fury

Re: AFL 2011 - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Pat »

But at least they have a fundamental grasp of canine anatomy. Nintendogs > fallout 3/new vegas unplayable bugginess edition. :nana:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Hands on with AFL 2011
Screen Play can confirm that the pace of the game is appropriately swift, and it is a lot more unpredictable and realistic than the previous AFL games made for the Xbox and PS2.

The game is easy to pick up and enjoy straight away, but looks to have reasonable depth thanks to the more authentic player behaviour. Defenders chase and tackle aggressively, while your team-mates provide smart leading options ahead of the play.

Players can even "lock on" to a team-mate ahead of them and deliver the most accurate pass possible in their direction. Players can also modify their kicks, with the likes of bananas, torpedoes, stabs and snaps possible.

Tapping the kick button within range of goal switches the view to behind the player, with players required to allow for the player's natural hook as well as the direction and speed of the wind.

Ruck contests are also based on skill and timing, with players able to fend or punch the ball in the direction of a team mate with a flick of the right analog stick. There is no distracting meter to take your eyes off the action.
Screen Play witnessed players breaking tackles, handballing out of tackles, and can confirm that the controls feel much more responsive than previous AFL games
Unfortunately, the game is predicting that Collingwood could again dominate the real premiership race in 2011. "We’re running simulations at the moment. Unfortunately, it’s the obvious (team that is dominating): Collingwood," Symons says. "Yes, it’s Collingwood and Collingwood for some time. But stranger things can happen. We can hope."

Teams naturally play in their current styles, although there are no on-the-fly tactical options for players to choose beyond a basic interchange system that uses the D-pad. Substitutions are able to be made at any time during a match, although it is difficult in the heat of the action.

Umpire decisions in the matches I played seemed consistently fair, while entertaining commentary is supplied by Dennis Cometti and Brian Taylor. Replays of highlights like spectacular marks, goals and tackles are shown at the end of each quarter.
Apparently that's wrong - there ARE on-the-fly tactical options - man-on-man, attacking etc.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Cover image released:

Makes sense to have the Grand Finalists, but I would have preferred some sort of deal where if you preorder you can choose to get it customised to match your team :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: AFL Live (Formerly AFL 2011) - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Froggy »

I still think like the recent efforts it will be a dog.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

I played some AFL Premiership 2006 on PS2 yesterday, and yeah, what a horrible, horrible game. I couldn't even play a whole quarter without giving up in frustration. The graphics made my eyes bleed, marking and ruckwork are a matter of luck rather than skill and kicking on goal is just broken.

BUT I'M STILL HOPEFUL!!! :D

GAME have a release date of 21/04/11 - 5 days before my birthday :D
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So its 2 months away and not one single bit of footage of this game???Why??
Ambrose Burnside

Well, I took your comment to the CEO of Big Ant Studios and this is what he said:
Trailers and such may come out way before a games release however actual in-game footage normally is much later for most games - and sports games even more so as once you have a vertical slice and ability to make video clips you are pretty much done making the game, anything prior is merely indicative.

Most videos that are more than 3 months out from a games release are fake and not on the target platform but made in Maya and the like.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Damage control. Game will be shit.
Ambrose Burnside

True, I got pissed off with him when he said "To try and create a direct link between a video existing or not and game quality is more than a long bow" and replied with:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:True, Big Ant Studio's World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars had a trailer posted on IGN's website one week before its 4.5/10 review, along with the opening sentence "World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars isn't a good game". Rugby League Live too had a trailer released, this time about a month before its 5/10 review, with the reviewer pointing out that "EA Sports is often criticised for merely updating player rosters and throwing in a few token gameplay features with each of its annual releases, but the developers of Rugby League Live have committed a far more heinous act by adding nothing at all and taking so much away." Plus the concluding sentence "Here’s hoping Big Ant Studios returns to the developer interchange bench and Sidhe gets back on the field with the franchise next year". Ouch.

Maybe I should pray for no trailer ever being released given these sorts of scores :redface:

Rugby League Live Review - http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1117326p2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
World of Outlaws Review - http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1069443p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Ambrose Burnside

5 seconds of beta footage was leaked onto YouTube and quickly pulled. I was lucky enough to see it (but didn't think to download it, I thought it was an official release not a leak), and it looked pretty damn good. Footage was of Ablett (playing for Gold Coast vs Geelong lol) shrugging a tackle before kicking the ball into the forward 50.

There's also some new screenshots here
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Oh man those screens are fucking woeful.
Ambrose Burnside

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2J1UDv0 ... ture=feedf[/youtube]

Early beta footage.

Only real issue I have with it is that the Geelong player who can't lay a tackle floats when he gets knocked over :lol: And the umpire runs through him :lol: And it looks like Ablett unloads a drop kick :lol:

Still looks better than I expected. And these sorts of collision detection problems will hopefully be ironed out by the time it is released. Players, stadium, animation etc. looks great (except there seems to be a few frames missing from when he goes from running to kicking).

All in all - :up: It is clearly Ablett (no other AFL game has had such clearly identifiable players) and the video has an awesome title :lol:
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I didn't think you could polish a turd, but Ambrose sure is having a crack at it.
Ambrose Burnside

westical wrote:I didn't think you could polish a turd, but Ambrose sure is having a crack at it.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

love how ablett kicks left-footed when he was holding the ball in his right hand :roll:
Ambrose Burnside

Yeah, there seems to be a few frames of animation missing there which is odd because the rest of the animation is pretty good.
Ambrose Burnside

AFL Live Preview
AFL Live for Big Ant, I truly believe, has been a labour of love. It’s a game that has been in development for three long years, and has been built from the ground up. I don’t doubt most, including myself, will criticize it for being bare bones feature wise; though I implore gamers to just have faith. Just listening to Ross today talk about his vision for future iterations and where they plan on taking the series made me realize that while AFL Live won’t be the perfect game, it’ll be the perfect foundation on which to build a remarkable sporting franchise we’d be proud to call home-grown.
Haters gonna hate, but the game sounds just like what I was hoping for - a fun, accessable game of footy. With easily recognisable players :up:

I seriously cannot wait to try out create-a-player mode and make myself captain of the Eagles :D
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Three years AND bare boned... :lol:
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Meh. You're after a game that compares with the latest NBA/Madden/FIFA game. I'm after a game that provides a solid foundation for future iterations of the franchise by presenting a fun and accessible game of footy.

From what I've read it has single game, season, finals, franchise, player create, team create and a rudimentary state of origin mode (probably my biggest disappointment, it has Victoria, All-Stars and Indigenous All-Stars, but no WA or South Australia ... but I guess that's what team create is for). That's already more fully-featured than past AFL games.

From that preview I posted:
The pre-match options are numerous in amount; genre staples such as quarter length, venue and weather conditions are all here, but it was nice to see the ability to toggle certain rules and gameplay aids on and off.
I'm turning off free kicks, then I will get Beau Waters to destroy Hayden Ballantyne :D
If you've played a FIFA game, the controls won't feel too foreign to you at all. Like FIFA, one of the kick prompts is homed to goal and, regardless of position; the ball-holder will produce their best effort in sending the pill through the big sticks. It helps with spontaneity, and makes play in either 50m arc (attacking or defensive) surprisingly tense. Kicking the ball along the ground is also a pretty nifty party trick you’ll use in your time with AFL; if you’re in space, though, I’d recommend taking possession as soccer kicking can be rather erratic. Sprinting, I found, was quite the double-edged sword. While it grants you that shred of space you need to evade a looming tackler, you’re player will run too far without bouncing and you risk giving away a free kick. Speaking of that, I thought the umpires were very quick on their whistles for the most part. If a contest goes to ground, the whistle sounds pretty much immediately and either a ‘ball up’ or ‘holding the ball’ alert decides your fate. I get the need to keep the game moving, but maybe introducing a form of ‘ground struggle’ mechanic in future iterations will give grounded hard-ball contests a more genuine feel without retracting from the experience.
FINALLY A GOAL KICK BUTTON!!! No idea why the PS2 AFL games I played didn't have this feature! I've read they've already started work on implementing gang tackling etc. for the next title, which should help with improving the 'ground struggle' as the previewer put it. But also as he states, it will help with preventing Sydney/St Kilda style slogfests :up:
I was awed with how well the default controls caters to both newbies and those who've spent time honing their skills. For example, if a long bomb is on its way to your defensive arc and you're in no position to mark the ball, you've got a couple options: spoil it in a spray and pray manner, which will be the crutch for beginners to lean on. Or you can use a dynamic "360" spoil where, if you hold your left trigger and direct with the right thumb stick, you might pick a gap or a free teammate. It won't take long to master, and it'll improve your experience tenfold.

While the dynamic “360” spoiling is a handy talent, I must say I was most impressed to see players freeing their arms from tackles and firing off handballs from the middle of the fray. There was a great term I read last year to describe Brendon Goddard’s efforts in the Grand Finals in that he was ‘like a Sherman tank’, and having the skill to shake free from a tackle and quick-fire the ball to a teammate on the trot really gives you that sense of indestructibility – playing online, it’ll separate the elite from the chaff.

Being able to free your arms in a tackle coupled with the ability to fend off and break tackles are things I've always imagined making any AFL game faster and more free-flowing. While I can't attest to this personally due to my paltry skill level, having seen it in motion I can confess that AFL Live is the most fluid Aussie Rules game I've had the pleasure of viewing.
All that sounds brilliant and a big step in the right direction :up:
Kicking at goal was always laughably easy in previous AFL efforts, and while Big Ant haven't exactly stacked the odds against us in this iteration, set shots never felt like an absolute sure thing; which is a great thing, even though it doesn't sound like it. As Travis Cloke marked on a 45-degree angle, it became evident to me how the goal-kicking would continually test players. Not only do players have to account for the wind, they also need to allow for the kicker’s natural fade. As a left-footer, Cloke’s kicks will always fade to the right; just as any right-footers will fade left. It is rather unexpected just how much allowance is required to account for these factors but it certainly adds a little something to the goal-kicking which had always been over-simplistic. And because Big Ant’s trusty dev is so able, Cloke composed himself and ran in to kick the goal – that’s right, big Trav drilled one. Anything is possible with the magic of video gaming.
Dunno about this. Their other decisions make the game flow quicker, then they make set shots more difficult than running goals? That's what it sounds like anyway.
I can say with some confidence that people expecting an averagely whipped together create-a-player mode couldn’t be more wrong. If I had to compare it to another sports game, I’d likely line it up next to the Tiger Woods PGA franchise. We observed as Andy walked us through just how intricately you can edit every detail in your player’s face. To his credit, he went on to craft a suave, handsome young rookie with windswept blonde hair and a Shannon Noll-esque soul patch – you know, the ideal man us gamers long to be? I won’t complain, better than making a sad looking balding bloke like myself!
:up: :up: :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Another Preview

They go into some detail about the controls and so forth, but here are some of the bits I liked:
AFL Live 2011 seems like a massive leap in the right direction for the sport’s future in games, driven by great control mechanics and a slick presentation.
It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s most certainly the best gameplay of any Aussie Rules Football game to date. Furthermore, the way in which a match progresses is fluid and smooth, fueled by AI that positions itself in accordance with how the match is being played.
The most impressive element of AFL Live 2011’s gameplay is the level of depth in the core mechanics. The game is most definitely accessible for casual gamers, as the default controls offer a simple way to enjoy the title. It’s the more complex mechanics, such as the ability to fend off an opposing player, punch the ball towards the half-forward flanker breaking into the center square after a bounce, or going in for the big punch spoil in the backline, that help define the experience. Australian Rules Football is not an easy sport to grasp, as the rules are rather ambiguous and dependent on individual interpretation, and this is ultimately why games in the past have failed to offer an enjoyable and long-lasting experience, whereas AFL Live 2011 incorporates the many facets of the sport, mapped rather intuitively on the controller for an accessible yet deep experience.
The creative suite allows you to create your own player and team from scratch. Any created team will have a $7 million salary cap (actual expansion teams have a $10 million salary cap) to offer better balancing for online play (created teams can be used online). The online component offers ranked matches and a detailed XP system that rewards you for good performance in-game, much like how you’re awarded extra XP in your typical FPS for headshots and assists.
And some bad news for the haters to latch onto:
there is no franchise mode
Visually, AFL Live 2011 is hardly anything spectacular in a broader sense, but the game looks quite good in motion. Player models are mostly accurate, although first-year players lack the polish and detail of experienced players. The crowds still look like cardboard cutouts,
Concluding paragraph:
It’s been a long wait, but footy fans might finally be getting a good and fun AFL game. Developer Big Ant seems intent on providing an accessible and enjoyable platform for future iterations, and AFL Live 2011 most definitely looks to be the perfect candidate for that. Not only has considerable effort been put into its presentation, but also the gameplay has been designed to re-create the ambiguous nature of the sport as accurately as possible. Simplicity just wouldn’t work with a game like this, and yet the development team has molded complex football skills into practical control mechanics. AFL Live 2011 has been a few years in the making now, but it most definitely seems to have been worth the wait.
Ambrose Burnside

When Tru Blu Entertainment's Facebook page gets 500 'Likes', the trailer will be released. Needless to say, I got in early (the 7th person to 'Like' it).
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

They could struggle to reach 500! :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

If I get home this evening and see an announcement along the lines of 'Thanks to our dedicated fans, we've reached 100 'Likes'! Here's the trailer!" I will :lol:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

If I had a facebook account I'd like it just to help you out.