AFL Live (Xbox 360 and PS3) - OUT NOW!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: AFL Live (Formerly AFL 2011) - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii

Post by Froggy »

GreyWizzard wrote:awaits froggy's attempt at a video game... turns out to be less impressive than Custer's Revenge.
Huh? If I had 3 years in a development house I'd want to have something nice to show, the background in that picture looks ps2 era or you don't agree? So everytime you criticise a game for looking ugly should I go in every thread and ask you if you could do better?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yes, yes I think you should. You should follow me around and pick up all my mistakes. I think it would improve me as a human being.

--

I'm glad someone spent 3 years developing an AFL game. I see this as a backbone game, sure it might not be the prettiest game in the world, but they have developed an engine for a game that is probably bigger and more complex than other sports. Larger field with more players on it at a time, think of the required AI. As long as the engine works well and emulates the game of AFL, then future iterations of the game can be spent of tidying up the graphics, and fine tuning the engine. I'm hoping the game does well with the fans, and it let's them improve the game even more. AFL fans deserve a decent version of their favourite sport.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

GreyWizzard wrote:awaits froggy's attempt at a video game... turns out to be less impressive than Custer's Revenge.
Look, I get it. Small dev taking on a niche market so everyone wishes them well. I want a good AFL game too, but I'm not about to pretend this thing looks awesome. It still looks terrible for a licensed product in 2011. You'd have to go back probably 3 or more iterations of an EA/2K game to get similar levels of quality.

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Peter Costello laying more smack down in Fairfax papers today.
Whoops this intended for the AFL thread at the general discussion board.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Burnzoire wrote:You'd have to go back probably 3 or more iterations of an EA/2K game to get similar levels of quality.
Yeah, but it shits all over the latest cricket and rugby league games. Unfortunately, they're the benchmarks for this game, not the latest FIFA or NBA game. And if it's FIFA 08 quality, I'll be more than happy :) Personally, I'm with Grey when he says:
GreyWizzard wrote:I'm glad someone spent 3 years developing an AFL game. I see this as a backbone game, sure it might not be the prettiest game in the world, but they have developed an engine for a game that is probably bigger and more complex than other sports. Larger field with more players on it at a time, think of the required AI. As long as the engine works well and emulates the game of AFL, then future iterations of the game can be spent of tidying up the graphics, and fine tuning the engine. I'm hoping the game does well with the fans, and it let's them improve the game even more. AFL fans deserve a decent version of their favourite sport.
If they get to 2000 Facebook 'Likes' they'll show off a trailer for the player/team customisation stuff. I doubt they'll reach that goal, but here's a screenshot:

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

That is true... the bar is set pretty low. Hopefully they will raise it somewhat.
Ambrose Burnside

Sanity restored:
We have been instructed by Ross from Big Ant to give you the clip at 1000 likes and he calls the shots. He's a Victorian, what can we say?
Currently at 956.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Looks awesome! :up:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Wow! Way more detail than I thought. That's excellent.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

This game could be ok, or at least fun to play, then hopefully the developers can build and improve the game to EA sports type standard over future relaeses. All ready the game looks like a good base to build from..
Ambrose Burnside

You'll be able to create 18 custom teams with 50 players each. And as the player customisation video above shows, you can create your own team colours. Classic guernseys (like the early 90s Eagles, and even GWS) feature as templates too. So you can create classic teams from the past (I'm going to eventually create the 1992, 1994 and 2006 premiership teams with correct guernseys). Or if you're suitably insane you'll be able to recreate the WAFL, VFL, SANFL, your local footy league etc.

No word yet on whether they'll allow team trading or custom MP3s for custom team club songs. It'll be a glaring omission if they don't though (and probably my most wanted feature in 2012 if it's not in 2011).

You can also make a custom player captain of any of the existing 17 teams, but it's a bit of a convoluted process. You have to give your custom player better stats than the existing captain, then your custom player will automatically be handed the captaincy. Dumb, but at least it's possible.

:)
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:You'll be able to create 18 custom teams with 50 players each. And as the player customisation video above shows, you can create your own team colours. Classic guernseys (like the early 90s Eagles, and even GWS) feature as templates too. So you can create classic teams from the past (I'm going to eventually create the 1992, 1994 and 2006 premiership teams with correct guernseys). Or if you're suitably insane you'll be able to recreate the WAFL, VFL, SANFL, your local footy league etc.

No word yet on whether they'll allow team trading or custom MP3s for custom team club songs. It'll be a glaring omission if they don't though (and probably my most wanted feature in 2012 if it's not in 2011).

You can also make a custom player captain of any of the existing 17 teams, but it's a bit of a convoluted process. You have to give your custom player better stats than the existing captain, then your custom player will automatically be handed the captaincy. Dumb, but at least it's possible.

:)
Are the developers paying you to shill this game for them or something? :lol: we all know it's going to be a semi decent above average game, the way that you are pimping it on the forum it sounds a lot better than what it's going to be
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2015 (unless it's broken like MCC)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

or maybe some people actually get excited about stuff.
Ambrose Burnside

What Grey said. Ross (the CEO of Big Ant) and I have clashed on the Big Footy forums over this game. I'm just trying to keep you guys up-to-date because I'm excited about the game despite those arguments and I know there are a lot of AFL fans here.

I've posted the good with the bad.
Ambrose Burnside

Any Vic Ranchers able to go?
Drop into these [EB] stores between 10am & 2pm on the following dates to get playing [AFL Live]:

Chadstone Sunday, 13 March 2011 (Open from 10am to 4pm)
Knox City Monday 14 March 2011
Northland Saturday, 19 March 2011
Swanston St Thursday, 24 March 2011
Southland Sunday, 27 March 2011
Werribee Saturday, 2 April 2011
Fountain Gate Saturday, 9 April 2011
Ambrose Burnside

The team the game predicts will finish 17th. No surprises:

Apparently, 16th is a shock, which means it's not the Eagles! :nana:
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

I dunno ambrose, seems the WA media over here already have them slotted in for a top 4 finish. So reality (16th) will be a shock :P .
Ambrose Burnside

Dunno what media you're looking at Pat, but the West Australian's "The Game" season preview predicts the Eagles will finish 13th, and none of the experts predicts a finish higher than 12th. So barely out of the bottom 4. And apparently our best Brownlow hope is Daniel 'won't play more than 4 games' Kerr.

:run:
Ambrose Burnside

Crappy camera phone gameplay footage from the EB demonstrations in Victoria:
I like the way you have to try and position your ruckman to the centre of that shrinking circle thing during ruck contests, makes it seem more natural. Positioning and timing rather than just timing like in the old games. Also, no visual aides when kicking for goal. Will be interesting to see how that works. I anticipate Eagle-style 8.15 (63) scores until you get used to it.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

All of a sudden I'm excited! Looks to be a fairly accurate representation of afl. Players models looks good. Fluid movement. Look, it's no FIFA in terms of looks but for a first go effort I'm really excited! If enough people buy the next installments should hopefully improve and we will have a great franchise to do justice to the best sport in the world!!!
Ambrose Burnside

I'd like to see what the behind-the-ball-carrier camera looks like. That's how I played the older games because it was the only view that let you see up the ground far enough.

Will try the default FIFA-style camera angle first though. From what I've read they've put a lot of effort into optimising the default view.
Ambrose Burnside

The commentary is dreadful :( Not quite "Welcome to the ......... MCG ......... and today's game between ......... Collingwood ......... and ......... Essendon" levels of crapness but there is zero excitement or anything. Cometti and that other idiot are very much just reading off the script in dull monotone voices :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Better voice directors are needed. That's a real shame :(
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

fuck im excited yeah! looks alright
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell any more :(