Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I agree there are areas near the water where you won't see much grass if any at all, but usually there are trees or other things in the distance you can see.

I just don't understand why the devs would release a shot like that? Unless of course the game has been scaled back in foliage or they're trying to hide something. One thing to note is that foliage uses alpha textures which eat up bandwidth, something ps3 has doesn't have a tonne of, so possibly they had to compromise somewhere along the line.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sonic Jam wrote:You guys are insane if you see a downgrade.
I see a downgrade, but its not the graphics. It's the extra content. I'd rather have my eyes stapled open and be forced to watch australian idol 24/7 than put up with Obli'wander-aimlessly-around-open-fields with shit draw distance, shit animation and boring quests'vion.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Bethesda need better coders. But I love the aimless wandering in games and the exploration which brings an element of uncertainty into the roleplaying. (because of the choices. Not mere branch paths but true freedom to do stuff in the order you prefer or to solve a dungeoun the best way you think a character would react if it was "real". That is the heart of roleplaying imo)

The only prob is ES is really at its core a pc style game with slow pace. It's one of the reasons why I'm surprised console gamers like it because too much freedom can bore people. I can see now why after daggerfall they have gone for smaller world and a more focused game. There is a limit to how much people will want to see after a certain point. (where you don't want to get lost or going on an adventure in an unknown territory and just want to do something.)
Last edited by GameHED on 28 Sep 2006 07:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

There is a visual downgrade. You have to be unbiased to see it. Also - best game ever!!!!!!!!11
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I bet what is going to happen is they release another edition of oblivion for the 360 with all the ps3 extras in it. It's the nature of a third party to milk the game to death before starting an entirely new thing. :D
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Firing up this game tonight, yep candy is right, there is a definite downgrade in visuals. The lighting and environment normal maps just looks so much better than those screens, (I'm guessing ps3 version is using bloom lighting not fp16 hdr). Also foliage is all over the place and those ps3 pics just look a little too barren. I have to say the last update they did for the game really did make a dramatic impact on performance and streaming.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

How long ago was this update? I haven't touched it in quite some time and am looking for a reason to pop it in (that's what she said - woooo!).
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Well i took a few photos with my shitty digital camera... plenty of which are in secluded areas and with no trees/grass etc.

The game looks a LOT better then the screens. Not sure that the photos show it all that well, but i'll upload them.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Shot 1 - Emptiest Area i could find
The texture detail aint the best, but it still looked pretty nice on my TV.

Shot 2 - Quick Water Shot
The water in the 360 game kills what is in that PS3 screenshot

Shot 3 - More Water
Fuck i love the water effects :thumbsup:

Shot 4 - Similar water shot to the PS3
No matter what i done to the water, it managed to reflect something and look awesome. Even in the rain the drops in the water and it reflected most things still.

My camera doesn't do it justice at all. I took the photos in the dark with no flash and they're very grainy. :(

Still. Oblivion rules and i think i have to play it some more this weekend. I forgot how gorgeous it was.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

And yeah, the LOD in the game is fucking shit. Does that update fix it at all? I never update my games... this one mostly because it corrects a few exploits i may decide to use later on. :thumbsup:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

umm... updates are compuslory mate, you must already have it.

i'd like to see a comparison of the same areas, I recognise at least one of the locations in the PS3 pics, the first town you visit in the main story (near chorrol)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

No they aren't compulsory Jizz.

I played for ages without updating.What does happen is you get signed out of LIVE while you play the game without the patches.

You can still play it though.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

ok, so it's compulsory for multiplayer titles (which is more important).
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I reckon the update is worth it, there is no more loading pauses when walking outside, it actually streams properly now, framerate is a lot better too imo. I have the pc version and the lod is equal to max on the pc version, so it's as good as it's going to get. I think the game is a lot more stable too after the update, i never had it lock up, older version would lock/crash occasionally.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Jismlobber wrote:umm... updates are compuslory mate, you must already have it.

i'd like to see a comparison of the same areas, I recognise at least one of the locations in the PS3 pics, the first town you visit in the main story (near chorrol)
Nope. I keep getting signed out. I don't want to have themf orced onto me. I'm not very trusting of updates. The only ones i always do are the dashboard updates.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I am vindicated, Devs claim only subtle improvements and no talk of downgrades in this interview with IGN: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IGN: How different will this version be from the others? If I've played this before, is there a reason to play it again on the PS3?

Todd Howard: Our goal is always to make the game look and feel consistent across all platforms. We design the game we want to make and then make that game available on as many platforms as possible. So, it's the same base game as was released on PC/ 360. The PS3 is benefiting from us continuing to develop our core technology that drives all our Elder Scrolls games. Some of that is noticeable on the screen -- like all the new graphic shaders -- and some isn't. The best examples are those new shaders we have for how "near detail" and "far detail" blend together on the landscape. You no longer have a harsh line cutting across the two levels, they blend together seamlessly and the distant detail and land looks much nicer.
Here is a full res image to go along with it

Just poor choice of locations for these shots, not much plant life around is all.

Also when I said looks SLIGHTLY better on the original images, you can see what I was talking about with this full res shot - It's the textures in the distance, the LOD isn't as noticable now.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

waaaay better reflections in that screen... looks pretty good!
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

If you look closely at the first shot with water in it the reflections are still there just only at the top of the water, the stuff that's most visible on the right side is not reflecting thanks to the location + camera angle combination, It's rare but I've seen similar looking water in the 360 version a few times.

There's no reason why in the first shot released SOME of the water would have awesome reflections (top part) and SOME have none (larger part on the right), it's just a bad shot.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

On a seperate note to the graphical comparisons, I read someplace else (can't remember where) that the PS3 version won't ship with the premium content they have released so far, just the single extra faction/quest line has been confirmed as far as content goes.

Pretty fucking lame by Bethesda imo, we all knew from the ridiculous price and fast release of Oblivion premium content that it was held back to charge us extra (EA style), but they denied that at the time.. Hopefully they change their minds before shipping the game because holding back content you developed a year ago to sell it online is just lame.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Still dissapointed in how it looks. Give me a solid 30fps or 60fps framerate, and i will grab it though. It doesn't look any better in screens, but if it's smoother, that will be a big enough upgrade for me.

Fuck them and holding shit back :thumbsdown:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The ps3 screens posted to seem to lack any AA. And i believe the ps3 version is meant to using bloom lighting not FP HDR.

Also in just a recent interview bethesda said that the extra content in the ps3 version will be made available to 360/pc users. Get ready for a micro transaction folks. ;)

here are the other 2 screens.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That new outfit in the screenshot lestat just posted is P I M P !
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

it's part of the new quest chain apparently candy.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I don't think anyone (apart from the 360 fanboys who aren't going to buy the PS3 version anyway) was expecting massive graphical improvements in a one year old port. The (free) extra content is enough :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

lestat wrote:The ps3 screens posted to seem to lack any AA. And i believe the ps3 version is meant to using bloom lighting not FP HDR.

Also in just a recent interview bethesda said that the extra content in the ps3 version will be made available to 360/pc users. Get ready for a micro transaction folks. ;)

here are the other 2 screens.

That looks like 2XFSAA to me, but I could be wrong.Has it been confirmed that PS3's gpu can't do HDR with FSAA like Nvidia's cards?