Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Grey does TGS!

Post by GreyWizzard »

This will get hella updated later this evening or tomorrow morning. I am currently in singapore wishing I was home...

I just want to say right now, the best looking game of TGS was Ridge Racer 7 for the PS3. It was running at 1080p 60FPS and it was fucking spectacular. I mean mind blowling good. No slow down, no jaggies, no ugly nothing. This is pure next gen baby.

As I said more details later, when I am awake and my brain is working.

:D
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

RIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEERRR!!!!

Who woulda thunk it?

Cant wait to hear about your experiences in Tokyo, Grey :D

Did you get yellow fever? Did you buy beer from a vending machine at 3am? Did you get lost? So many questions...

Hurry up and recover :P
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Okay, I'm home, and I am still awake.

I'll just list games I played and games that I saw and give my impressions.

Again, I want to state, graphically, Ridge Racer 7 is worth the huge fee. I kid you not. The game is the PS3 bench mark for me, and I feel if Namco can do it then other big companies should too.

Warhawk: I played the multiplayer version of this. It looks very nice, good hi res textures. The biggest let down was the control method. I assume though it will just take a little while to get used to waving the control pad around and aiming with the sticks.

Resistance: Avoid at all costs, it looks terrible and it plays terrible. I played the single player version. Enemies really don't look like they are part of the environment, and the guns you are given really don't suit the whole WW2 idea. Bad generic game. It doesn't even look next gen ffs... avoid.

Mud Racer: It looks amazing, and is a really fun title. Unfortunately it looks as if if the vehicles are driving through treacle. It's like some bodgey arse less then 30fps per second racer. If they can improve the frame rate the game is going to be a kick arse multiplayer title.

Blue Dragon: I so want this game, and I think most of the people there want it too. I sat in a line that had 160mins written on it, and it was so damn worth it. JRPG at it's finest. I actually bothered to trawl through jap menus to look after my characters. Charming. I love it.

Lost Odyssey: Graphically amazing, but the tiny demo I got of the game really didn't set up enough of it for me. Also the game being in jap made it hard. There was a lot of story and I didn't get what was going on. It could turn out to be pretty good.

Sonic The Hedgehog: I played the 360 version, and I felt it was pretty crap. The controls were too floaty, and I was left wondering why every character could basically fly. Maybe SEGA hate Tails as much as the rest of us and made everyone fly. I had a look at the PS3 version, it is chuggy, jaggy. 360 FTW.

Project Slypheed: Lock on and fire. WOOO!!!! It's like Panza Dragoon but in all range mode. I love it. The game is so simple to play, looks pretty and is addictive. I liked it a lot. I was going to join the line again.

Zegopain: I think that was how it was spelt, confusing but pretty. I had no idea what I was doing... instructions required.

I don't think I played anything else...

What I sat and looked at.

Trusty Bell (360) the best looking 360 game on display. Beautiful cel lshaded graphics. Simply amazing to behold. Hopefully we see this get a PAL or Region Free release.

L.A.I.R.: Factor 5 have made an ugly game :( I really ugly game...

No playable Wii games, I cried...

on display were:

Elebits: Fun looking hunt the cute creature game. If it is a launch title I am getting it.

Super Monkey Ball: Mini games... yay... looked boring and way too much hand waving was used for my liking. I'm not a fit person, I don't want to get fit.

Bleach: The girl playing it looked bored.

Sonic and the bad joke I once made that was so bad I had to explain what I meant by it: Artistically the better sonic game. The HD games look cleaner and sharper, but don't look as fun. Controls seemed pretty good and pretty responsive. But the girl had been playing the game foer 3 days on the same 2 damn levels.

Virtua Fighter 5: mmmm jaggies! Other then that it looks nice.

This made me raise an eyebrow. The SEGA booth had the Smackdown Vs Raw demo running. There were two version side by side, a 360 version and what I thought to be a PS3 version, as they were graphically identicle. I remembered that there is no PS3 version due to there being no PS3. It was the PS2 version. Looks no different. Shame THQ and Yukes... shame!

The full MGS4 trailer looked awesome on the huge screen. MWRAAAHHHH!!!!

I also checked out the Square Enix closed cinema. It was footage of their big name games. FFXIII, Kingdom Hearts (rechain and full mix), and the FFVIII games. I don't know what to make of XIII. It looks like fully rendered FMV, and then a HUD appeared... I keep wanting to call bullshot on it. KH rechain of memories is the GBA title on the PS2. Dunno what KH Final Mix is. It could be a third game or it could be a remake of the first. I really couldn't tell.

One of the highlights, I got to talk to an MS exec. He deals with buying new titles for MS. He mentioned that they have signed an MMO for the 360, and he said that if you love the MMO style of game you will love this. I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't tell me.

I had a great time at TGS, and if I can get the roll of film out of my camera without destroying it, I should have shots :D
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Squeenix has a tendancy to do re-releases of their games in Japan with a sort of "special edition" mode. Like FFX International, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Star Ocean 3: Director's Cut, and FFX-2 Final Mix. It was probably KH2 Final Mix they were showing.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Great impressions Grey. :up:

Sounds you like you had a great time. I heard some other reports that in person RR7 does look the business.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

This thread needs pics. Preferably including booth babes :D

Did you see Motorstorm is that the mudracer game that you listed above?

Also - how did you cope without knowing any Japanese?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah mudracer is motorstorm. I am so used to calling it mudracer :D

I spoke zero japanese and I got around no problems. Most people behind a counter could speak some english and hand gestures seem to work a treat.

Yeah, RR7 really blew me away.

I was also impressed graphically by MotoGP. I thought that looked pretty good, but I didn't stop and play it.

If there are any Techromancer fans out there the next Supa Robot Wars game is coming to the 360. It is in SD form and plays kind of like advanced wars. We'll probably not get this one in Australia though. Looks interesting but nothing like any of the previous series.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

This thread needs pics :D
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Nice work, Grey. I had a good look at Motorstorm vids and yeah wtf is with how slow it is? The game is supposed to, I would assume, make you feel as though you're at the mercy of speed and momentum but it seems to go to great lengths to convey the complete opposite. Hopefully it's greatly improved once they get the visuals in the same vacinity as that shown at e3 '05.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Another thing I saw. A PS3 crashed out on while running Gundam, when they rebooted the system it came up with the display settings, reading (750p) 720p. I assume most of the games running on the PS3 were in 720p. The only 3 games at full 1080p were RR7, Virtua Tennis 3 and GT HD.
friick

Post by friick »

Useless without pics.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

YOU ARE!
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

Did you meet any nice people?
Did you go to Tokyo Disneyland?
Did you bone any hot Japanese girls? (see first question)
Did you buy any cool gaming stuff? (Densha De Go controllers, DOA pillows etc..)
Pat

Post by Pat »

So the MMO was Marvel eh?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I bought a scanner today, so if I can get the roll of film out of my camera (it died at TGS :( ) I can get the pics of the show up. Most of the pics were of displays and stuff. I should buy a digital some day. Maybe get one before the perth show.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

GreyWizzard wrote:Resistance: Avoid at all costs, it looks terrible and it plays terrible. I played the single player version. Enemies really don't look like they are part of the environment, and the guns you are given really don't suit the whole WW2 idea. Bad generic game. It doesn't even look next gen ffs... avoid.
Sorry I couldn't let this one slide. Would you say it has the "potential" to be a bigger let down than Killzone or equal? Did you ask them where the 22GB of Blue Ray goodness was?

Oh and how is the Spastix (um sixaxis?) controller? Still the same shit analogue sticks from the DS2?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

GreyWizzard wrote:I bought a scanner today, so if I can get the roll of film out of my camera (it died at TGS :( ) I can get the pics of the show up. Most of the pics were of displays and stuff. I should buy a digital some day. Maybe get one before the perth show.
Woah, I didn't realise people still used film cameras. I just got the last film out of my camera developed the other day, all the photos were from 5 years ago. Digital is the way to go, so much less hassle, and cheaper in the long run. Good digicams are cheap as these days too.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Sounds like an awesome trip :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah, I was going to get a digital before I left but I lost my job YAY!!!

Sixaxis is just the DS2 without shock. Same control setup. Sticks are just in the wrong place for an FPS.

I actually walked away from the Resistence demo as it was pretty bad. Nothing about the game said buy me, it just said ignore me.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

GreyWizzard wrote:If there are any Techromancer fans out there the next Supa Robot Wars game is coming to the 360. It is in SD form and plays kind of like advanced wars. We'll probably not get this one in Australia though. Looks interesting but nothing like any of the previous series.
I think the one on GameCube was very similar. SD style & moving in the turn based strategy style.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

Did you meet any nice people?
Did you go to Tokyo Disneyland?
Did you bone any hot Japanese girls? (see first question)
Did you buy any cool gaming stuff? (Densha De Go controllers, DOA pillows etc..)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Everyone was nice there :D The guy from MS was pretty cool, but I didn't really talk to anyone.

No, I went by it when I took the train to tokyo though.

No. :(

I bought the Black Mages CD and I got a figurine from Blue Dragon.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Grey does TGS!

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:Mud Racer: It looks amazing, and is a really fun title. Unfortunately it looks as if if the vehicles are driving through treacle. It's like some bodgey arse less then 30fps per second racer. If they can improve the frame rate the game is going to be a kick arse multiplayer title.
You mean that new Motorstorm game? Yeah, confirmed 30fps@720p. Refer interview with developers in latest Edge. :fight
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.