XBox 360 Purchase

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

XBox 360 Purchase

Post by DjBigK »

With the impending release of Pro Evolution Soccer 6 just weeks away the time has come for me to purchase an XBox 360. What's the going rate for a 360 nowadays?...am I best off to buy one in a combo?

Big W have it for $638 with a free game (choosing from Perfect Dark, PGR3, Kameo or DoA)

Games Wizards have it for $649 including a secon wireless controller (which I will need anyway).. they advertise it as $569 for a 360 under the condition that you purchase an official wireless controller.

Also can pick one up for $589 via ebay from a Store that I have dealt with before. How much are the wireless controllers?

Thoughts?

How far away do people think the price drop will be?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The pack with a game is pretty good, I took advantage of it and grabbed PGR3.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

the wireless fun pack thingo might be an idea mate.
it comes with a wireless pad, PGR3 and kameo.

then find the system for a good price on its own
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

How much is the wiresless entertainment pack thingo?
Pat

Post by Pat »

There was one going for $199 with PGR3, Kameo and a wireless controller. Dont pay $199 for it though, look around and it'll be much cheaper I reckon.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

I have an X360 at my place atm.. :P Not mine though. Played some 4 player split screen deathmatch CoD2 last night... was good fun. The 360 is one loud unit! Fine for playing games, buy watching DVDs on that thing would suck!
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I dont know about the rest of you, but when i watch DVD's, they are blasting through my 5.1 surround setup and louder than my games.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

For the entire length of the movie?

If so, your taste in movies sucks the ass/arse.

:P

Yes movies would be watched louder than games on my 5.1 setup as well, but I find that dialogue heavy scenes, and other lower volume scenes would be comprimised by the whirring of the 360 that is comparable to the rewind function on an old school VCR. It doesn't matter though, I will be getting a 360, and there's no chance that I will be watching and DVDs on it.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

My Xbox hard drive has started making clunking noises when I turn the console on, and if it doesn't fix itself I get the dreaded green/red flashing circle.

I think it's telling me to buy a 360, but only about half of my Xbox games are backwards compatible at the moment :(
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Saw the Wireless Fun Pack for $149 in Myer. They were selling 360s for $619, so Xbox 360 + PGR3 + Kameo + Second Wireless Controller = $768
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

that's a pretty good price!

I think i've seen the 360 for $600 but I could be wrong, worth calling a few places.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Yeah it's not bad!

Could get it via ebay from that store (actually a physical shop in a local shopping centre here in Sydney) and pickup the 360 for $589, add the $149 wireless fun pack and it's only $738.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Talking to myself here, but all the XBL talk in here is making me want a 360 even more. TD:U sounds like awesome fun, plus add some Poker and it's all good. Thursday nights suck for me in terms of poker though :(

How much is the Live subscription, and what level of subscription comes bundled with the 360? .. Also is the Lag improved over Live on the xbox? I have xbl previously and found the lag to be quite bad (depending on the game and who I was playing with... Pro Evo was bad even playing against a mate who lived 1 suburb away :( )
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

you get 1 month free, I think 12 months/headset/200 points is about $100
lag isn't an issue for me if i'm playing with aussies, it can get bad with others.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Games are all P2P And the netcode is done differently for each game by the dev so it's impossible to say XBL has good or bad lag.

However, console devs who were new to net code last gen arn't so new to it anymore and as a result things should be improved with new LIVE games.

I havn't had any problems playing with other aussies in the games I own.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yep what sonic said is true, because of the peer to peer nature of live games, the ping and bandwidth of the host determines how good the lag is. Generally if you stick to Aussies and play with games ranchers you shouldn't have a lot of issues with lag. Of course you'll get the occasional laggy night which can be isp related.

In terms of the live servers being down, i don't think I've ever seen that situation, the match making/login servers are pretty much always available. It's only on scheduled live maintenance where they'll be down.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Pro Evo was just fucked netcode mate. Here's hoping it is fixed with the new version.

All other games played with the Cowboys and other Aussies run pretty damn well. Just avoind Morps and Pat (Netspaced!). :P
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Schweet.. thanks fellas.

Yeah Pro Evo was ridiculously laggy.. did we ever play each other Chaos? I think we may have.... though can't remember the result.

Crazy considering the DC was practically lag free for NBA2k1 over a 33.6k modem!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

We may have I think I have your Gamertag in my friends list.

I would have lost convincingly and been swearing the whole way through the experience. :(
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

I played this French Bloke on there once.. it was hilarious the stuff that he said. I can still hear his curses, and the way he said merci whenever anything went his way. Credit to him he perservered through incredible lag and a game that I won convincingly (mainly because I was hosting).
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

$599 @ Target.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

I have this page of the Traget catalogue sitting open in front of me right now :P

Can get it cheaper on it's own rfom that shop via Ebay tho... but a good deal from target none-the-less. Big W have a new deal as well.. a new Wireless Entertainment Bundle.. comes with the 360 Premium, 2 wireless controllers, Kameo, and Live Arcade Unplugged Volume 1. Not bad at $698, but I don't really want either of those games tbh.

Also includes 2 month Live Gold subscription.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I think those 2 months are the 1 month you get with the system and the 1 month you get with Live Arcade.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Dick Smith have the console for $599 too.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Nintendo had better use the advertising slogan:

Wii?...... Wii not?