Wii - GC region locking and VC regions

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Wii - GC region locking and VC regions

Post by Pat »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nintendo UK has confirmed to Eurogamer that the Wii's region locking will extend to GameCube games.

A company spokesperson also said that Virtual Console game releases would not be universal - in other words, European gamers will get European versions of the games.

The news paints a slightly clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding Wii's backwards compatibility in the run-up to the console's 8th December launch.

The console is known to be compatible with all GameCube software, and peripherals including controllers and memory cards, while Virtual Console will deliver titles from systems including NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Megadrive and TurboGrafx at the rate of around 10 per month.

In answering our queries, culled from some of your recent forum threads, Nintendo also said that it expects to release RGB and component video cables that fit current pricing models.

It declined to comment on recent reports, supposedly surfacing in Nintendo Power, that Virtual Console will also host Commodore 64 games in future.
So basically you get a PAL GAMECUBE NINTENDO in Australia, and no guarantee that games like Chrono Trigger or other NTSC-only SNES classics will rock up on our version of the VC. Could be bad.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Hmmm... after the Wii was confirmed to be region locked I guess most assumed it would also extend to GC games.. it sucks to have it finally confirmed but oh-well :down:

Let's see how the freeloader goes I guess.
I'm hoping for another GameCube style region switch mod so that I'll be able to flip from US to JP with a switch or something.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Hopefully getting around the VC stuff is as simple as making a JP/US XBL account. But I doubt it.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Other than the language factor I simply don't understand why they would limit stuff VC wise to certain regions??
What could they possibly get from it other than not snagging potential buyers?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Ben wrote:Other than the language factor I simply don't understand why they would limit stuff VC wise to certain regions??
Welcome to the dirty world of IP rights.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

You could buy a cheap NTSC one off Rocco.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Froggy, you’re a poor man’s Candy Arse :lol:

PS: I’m not poor, so fuck off! :up:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

:run: here he goes...
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Who would care if you were poor?

Do we hate poor people here now?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Talez wrote:
Ben wrote:Other than the language factor I simply don't understand why they would limit stuff VC wise to certain regions??
Welcome to the dirty world of IP rights.
Yep, although at least we dont have to play games re-titled "Lylat Wars" anymore :P

I'd be happy if the VC means for titles such as, say, SMB3, we get the PAL version since it's much the same (plus all the translation is already done = quicker releases) - although that is a bigger issue and much more helpful for text-heavy games.

But I hope that doesnt mean we miss out on games that never came to PAL. Especially the classics.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Rocco wrote: PS: I’m not poor, so fuck off! :up:
WTF does that have to do with Froggy's post?
No, please. Enlighten Us.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Pat

Post by Pat »

$20,000 in assets.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

lol what's your rig like rocco?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

That is what I was hoping for in the VC library, games that weren't released to the AU market but made either a US or Euro release.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Rocco is a fuckhead.

Also I'll be keen to see if the Wii can read/run the Freeloader disc.

If not, yet ANOTHER kick in the balls by the jews at Nintendo.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Pat wrote:Yep, although at least we dont have to play games re-titled "Lylat Wars" anymore :P
but really, how much nicer was the lylat wars logo? the 64 on sf64 nearly made me hurl!

and this could be VERY BAD for us, mark me unimpressed
oh, speaking of mistakes nintendo's made, giving this to a kid who can't see was a nice stunt, but on ELLEN WTF? and even managing to screw up getting her to show the logo when she gave it to the kid - ouch. notice the brief OMG OMG OMG GEt A CAMERA IN THERE angle they use to when someone realises you can't see it :D
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

My future 360 purchase is more certain every day.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

That's a real shame about the region locking for GC games, though it's what I was expecting. :(
Pat

Post by Pat »

"While this is a non issue for the GameCube games as the Freeloader is wideley available, it does mean that you will only be able to purchase games for Virtual console that have only been released in your region. Games such as Earthbound or Sin and Punishment sadly wont be making it to our Wii Store."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THIS?!?!!?!?

someone give me a rational explanation
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Texas
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

...cause they wanna have a really good idea and fuck it up by restraining it totally? This has turned me off the Wii. I'll stick with emulation on my Mac, thanks
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nintendo believe people in PAL regions dont have TVs less than 10 years old that also support 60Hz and NTSC signals. Further, we can't read "American English" hence the need to translate all those games that never got PAL conversions would result in an IMPOSSIBLE workload.

The only thing that will make this pill somewhat easier to swallow is Goldeneye and Blast Corps.

Someone better tell me that Chrono Trigger got a PAL release back in the day.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

That fucken sucks. Part of the appeal was the hope that you could access all the games that didn't get a release here. A lot of the good stuff that you can play, I had played to death when they were new.

Why can't console gaming just be like portables where the region isn't an issue?

Same thing with dvds: region locking only prevents fans from accessing stuff not popular enough in thier own region to see a release. (and just plain being a pain in the ass for the creator in the long run since it means more chance people will go about it illegally or through buying bootleg versions of something because there isn't any other way)

What a waste of an opportunity. Not even if you want to play and pay for something legitimately will they make it easy on thier fans. Nintendo hates thier fans!
Last edited by GameHED on 05 Oct 2006 07:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Pat

Post by Pat »

Chrono Trigger = no PAL version. I wonder how likely it is we might see VC games leak through from the US to Australia, as with DS games (compared to Europe and 6 month delays for language options).
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Whatever, but its a crying shame for those who want to see some classic titles like Final Fantasy III/6 as they originally appeared on SNES for example. (if they haven't already) This, the soul blazer/illusion of gaia/terranigma games, chrono trigger, secret of mana (thankfully this did get pal release) and Zelda: ALTTP were the games that made me into a total snes fan and I have fond memories of these. It would be a shame if aussies couldn't play the really good stuff that didn't make it, as they were some of the finest pieces of 16 bit software for thier time and would be severely missing out on great stuff.

List of things australian pal gamers need:

- r rating
- proper treatment (no locking out - freedom of choice)
- progressive scan support in all the PAL games so we don't need to mod or use bootdiscs.
- cheap prices ($30 for 8-bit nes castlevania on the GBA??? this is something that should be one of many titles on a castlevania compilation cart, not by itself. )
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto