Motorstorm. 720p. 30fps.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Motorstorm. 720p. 30fps.

Post by Pat »

From Edge magazine
As many have anticipated, it's not going to be enjoyed in 1080p. "1080p, I think, has got an awful lot of future - lots of positives."

"We decided on 720p early on in the project."

Mud sticks to cars where its flung from the ground, remaining there until they crash, at which point the car is respawned with a fresh lick of paint, ready to be muddied all over again. All while the action moves at a fixed 30 fps.
:lol:

Everyone is having to change tact so often lately - all that's missing is a Wii hardware upgrade.
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

I am fine with 720p as I never expected any greater this soon but 30fps? Ouch!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

With how good the game looks I'm not surprised at 30fps. Holy shit...
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Doin lestat's work for him now Pat?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nah, I'm just catching up on the weekends news. You should re-read my comments. ;)

The XBots have to support 1080p now. PS3bots have to support 720p and 30fps and the only thing missing is Wiitards championing superior hardware in the unlikely event of a chipset upgrade. :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yes everyone has to :backpedal: now. :D

btw i have a feeling resistance is still 720p, there is nothing official on sony's site that says it is 1080p. I think 1up got confused with playing it on a 1080p set and assumed it was running natively at 1080p. All ps3 games can output at 1080p, but not necessarily are they rendered natively at 1080p. Same situation you'll see with the new 360 update.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

The only confirmed 1080p 60fps games so far are Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3 and GT HD.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:The only confirmed 1080p 60fps games so far are Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3 and GT HD.
And if their last GT game is anything to go by, the game will be delayed, then released (without 1080p) then another version due out 6 months later with 1080p tacked on. Oh hang on, GT Online never did get released, sorry, my bad. :laugh:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

It's more than that Grey, they had 5 running at TGS I believe. Resistance was definitely shooting for 1080p.

Anyway, who here played PGR3 at 600p and 30fps and then whinged about the graphics? Certainly not me, it looked and played fucking amazingly (well, except for the dodgy trees, everything else was stunning). Same deal with Motorstorm, I have heard people do nothing but rave about how great it looks. Screenshots for it look a bit average, but apparently in motion it looks fantastic, hopefully I'll get to see some decent videos of it soon.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Motorstorm is looking fucking awesome again.

720p? Native resolution of my TV.

30fps? Well... if it looks half as good as the E3 2005 trailer, that will kick serious ass. The game has gone through some shitty looking stages. But the last videos i saw were sweet. Although animation looked a tad off. But meh. Trailbikes + mud = must have for me.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

gundam another confirmed 1080p game.

:sick:
skinner

Post by skinner »

Looks like an Amiga game.
mech

Post by mech »

Don't be so generous skinner, it doesn't look that good.
skinner

Post by skinner »

Ahah! Very true mech. :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

1080p is a great option to have, but i feel sony is pushing it just to differentiate themselves from 360. But it's gonna backfire because we all know that to run at 1080p requires downgrades in visual detail, most people for the next 2 years won't even own a 1080p capable display device, so all they'll see are games that don't look as good as they could be. 1080p is a good option for lazy port up devs that won't take the time to push the detail, so hey might as well run the game in the highest res possible.

There have been some new fight night shots released too, further illustrating the difference between ps3/360 power wise is practically non exsistant. Actually the latest batch of FN3 pics on ps3 show the game is lacking AA, which was one of the nice things about the 360 version, how clean it looked.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

PS3 version of Gundam looked so much better then the 360 version. But they are different games, and I think they are made by different dev teams.

That Gundam screenshot is terrible. It looked great in motion.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

What the fuck did they do to the texture filtering in that pic!? Looks like an old PC game in software mode for fcks sake, god damn that's terrible.

re motorstorm: Very sad about the 30fps angle, not so much caring about 1080P in this game as I had not read about it being 1080P in the past.. But 30fps for a racer like this just sucks, sense of speed won't be nearly as good as it could be =/ Might explain why people felt it wasn't fast enough at TGS?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

sense of speed on the demo was terrible, but the game is so much fun. If it runs at a solid 30fps I don't think it will matter.
mech

Post by mech »

Sonic Jam, what were your thoughts on PGR3? I thought it looked and played great, I didn't even notice the 30fps thanks to the motion blur (which is also present in Motorstorm).

I heard a guy on a podcast the other day say Motorstorm was 60fps, I guess he was fooled by the motion blur, so yeah, I'm not too worried after seeing what was done with 30fps on the 360.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I thought the game looked amazing but the visuals were let down by the lower resolution making it look not quite as sharp/nice, aswell as the texture filtering (as with 99% of next gen games) blurring out anything past your nose and ugly trees.

Sense of speed wise it was leagues better than PGR2, motion blur really helped, but when I play other racers like Burnout or Ridge Racer that are 60FPS even in slow vehicles it just feels much faster.. I think framerate is really important for racing games more than any other genre.

Also, 60fps with motion blur = the ultimate method to get your sense of speed up :p
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I'm not sure wether the decision to drop the res in favour of 2xAA was a good one with pgr3. The 2xAA doesn't help all that much and like sonic mentioned the game could of looked crisper if it was running at full 720p. I think pgr3 is the smoothest 30fps racing experience ever. But yeah 60fps is what you want in a racer.

I have high hopes that PGR4 is gonna 60fps, considering the forza guys and pgr teams have been sharing code, ideas. The game already has amazing detail, just add more polish, 4xAA and more tracks/cities/cars and it would be awesome.

I terms of sensation of speed i rank em like this.

burnout revenge, pgr3, ridge racer.

ridge racer to me doesn't feel that fast even with the higher spec cars. I guess the fact the cars have this floating feeling kinda kills the realism, especially when going into a corner, in ridge racer there is no intensity when going into a corner, in pgr you can feel the speed when trying to go into a corner by the way the car reacts.
Last edited by lestat on 10 Oct 2006 02:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mech

Post by mech »

Well I just listened to yet another podcast where they fucking RAVED about how amazing this game looks in motion. I can't wait to see it. Apparently the special effects are off the chart.
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

And this is a launch title game not even useing any untapped potential yet :wink:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

mech wrote:Well I just listened to yet another podcast where they fucking RAVED about how amazing this game looks in motion. I can't wait to see it. Apparently the special effects are off the chart.
I've heard similar things about this game Mech. It's definitely going to be a launch game purchase for me! :up: