Xcom Enemy Unknown 2K12. GOTY OUT NOW! Dishonored what?

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Xcom Enemy Unknown 2K12. GOTY OUT NOW! Dishonored what?

Post by Cletus »

Hercy wrote:I don't think the game allows much variety of squad. Unless you're seriously cheesing the game and exploiting the AI, you need one of each class and then an extra support to heal the first support if they get shot. So you really only have the 6th slot to play around with. Personally I choose a second sniper because the Squad Sight perk is too good to not have two of.

Anyway, this made me laugh:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature ... -panic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good evening, my people of Nigeria.

Earlier today, following the tragic incident at the gas station, it has been decided by the houses of congress and by myself that we will no longer be permitting the international meddlers of XCOM into the territory of Nigeria. Political church groups from the USA used to dealing with the XCOM problem have helped us draft this ban legislation and I was proud to sign it.

All exploitative funding is immediately cut to the XCOM NGO so that our money may be better spent equipping our native anti-UFO force, which is tentatively called UFO Force. We have many soldiers and dogs already. So far our scientists have researched a weapon we call "machine gun on the back of a Toyota pickup" which we hope will be very effective.

Some of you may wonder at the reasons why we are leaving the only anti-UFO coalition at a time when more UFOs than ever before are terrorizing Nigeria. Why are tiny, bug-eyed men scuttling in our streets? Why are your neighbors turned into human-shaped piles of grass? God is real, so why does he abandon us? He has not, my friends, but XCOM has.

XCOM ignored our pleas for help because we did not offer them scientists and instead went on UFO vacation to France.

XCOM never bothered to launch a satellite above our nation. We hear excuses, "Oh, sorry President Jonathan, half of our HQ is already satellite uplinks." This is not acceptable.

An entire bridge was destroyed by UFOs in Lagos and XCOM landed a team to rescue a UN official who was standing for hours in the middle of the burning bridge. Thank you for the help with our precious bridge.

Send out entire team of rookie XCOM soldiers to protect our precious gas station from the aliens. The UFO shot down over Mexico will wait. "It was a training mission," is not a good explanation when our gas station is in ruins.

For all of Africa there is only one jet fighter plane from XCOM to stop UFOs. Nobody has even bothered installing a laser beam or anything on it. When a UFO appears they do not even launch the plane.

XCOM immorally promotes homosexuals, attacking the families of Nigeria. Why is their armor so purple and pink and why do they all have 1970s disco mustaches? Who is responsible for this? It is as if their entire organization is some sick joke and it is shameful in the eyes of God.

Do not fear, my fellow citizens. UFO Force is being given a new base in the former gas station missing several walls and partly on fire. I assure you the fire has not spread to the important parts. Upgrades for UFO Force are also in the works, including purchasing a helicopter to be UFO Interceptor-1, as well as several berets, which are an advanced type of armor.

I have also personally reached out to the UFOs themselves. It seems that they are not so bad after all. The one that roars and charges around punching people into bloody pulps is relatable. The majestic transforming disc is a fine sight in the sky. And the purple energy surrounding my head cannot be a bad thing.

I have heard much loose talk of "experiments" on the people, but you cannot be so sure these are UFO experiments and not European drug manufacturers. The UFOs are only curing a different disease with undisclosed human testing and terrorizing of our population.

When you consider HIV, the UFO agenda is really no worse than the First World's agenda.

Thank you and God Bless You.
Reads like a letter from SBY to our Tony.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

pilonv1 wrote:Anyone else playing Enemy Within? The new maps are good and the Meld mechanic is pretty awesome if a bit overpowered. Not really enjoying the EXALT missions but I've just finished them.
Did you buy the dlc for the PC version Pilon? I see the console version only comes with a repackaged Enemy Unknown disc so essentially paying $60 for a GOTY disc.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Yeah I got the DLC for $23. The console version isn't priced well. Unless you absolutely love it, there's not enough new content for $50+. Anything under $50 it's well worth it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

That's what I was thinking. Great for latecomers though.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I was thinking of giving this a start. Would those who've played recommend starting new with Enemy Within or is it preferable to start with Enemy Unknown?
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'd go with the Original but it really doesn't matter. They're both fantastic
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'd go from the start with Unknown. I've never played Within though.
Unknown is absolutely fantastic.
I didn't enjoy 2 at all. The timer/turn limits and the difficulty really sucked the fun out of it for me.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ta. Was leaning that way. I already have EW but as I'm an XCom noob I'd prob be better off learning with less mechanics vs the additional EW provide.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Yeah the turn timers are really frustrating, until you know what you're doing you can easily clear a stage and make it one turn short of the escape. Going in blind with those wouldn't be the best introduction.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I played a bit of this when it released but I believe I got frustrated with the preset teams, can't remember, it was so long ago now that I played it. I do remember playing Unknown from beginning to end over a few months as some of the missions really dragged, but I loved it. Can't remember if I ever finished the last mission but I remember the mission prior like it was yesterday. I was trying to find the Alien Commander and this one ship an alien blind sided me with some concussion weapon but because he was only a square or two away he knocked himself out too so I was able to carry his body back to base to interrogate him as you don't know if you have a Commander or not and he was the one I was looking for. It was edge of your seat stuff. I played this back in the 90s on the PSone with the PS Mouse.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Started Enemy Unknown. I'm enjoying the base building. Still coming to grips with battles and enemies who appear on the map often in flanking positions to my soldiers who I spent the previous minutes placing carefully in what I thought was decent cover. I suppose this is what Xcom is about and my still TBC feelings on it will determine whether I like the game or not.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Are you using Overwatch?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I am now. I raided the alien base just now which I'm relieved to see reduced global panic to comfortable levels. I'm still waiting for my next satellite uplink facility to be built and was worried countries were going to bail on the council as their panic was high. I'm liking it. :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Holy shit I loved this game so much. The Long War mod made it even better again.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The sequel was good too but IIRC they added those turn limited missions and you' get to 1-2 squares of the exit, fail the mission and lose all your guys. Don't recall trying out the DLC for it either.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Was about the start Crusader Kings 3, remembered I started this so went back in for my strategy fix and it's really hooked me. What a great game. I think I'm approaching the end. One of my Firestorms took down a giant battleship UFO, I've got my psionic infrastructure built and am screening soldiers, my base is almost at capacity. It's made me drop for all the XCom 2 DLC which includes options to tweak the polarising limited turn missions. I don't like the idea of playing risky due to limited turns. That said when I'm done with this Enemy Unknown playthrough I'm keen to test my experience with an Ironman Enemy Within game.