Xcom Enemy Unknown 2K12. GOTY OUT NOW! Dishonored what?

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Xcom Enemy Unknown 2K12. GOTY OUT NOW! Dishonored what?

Post by t0mby »

Just buy one at a time. The ones you don't get immediately will only drop in price. :-P
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I understand that Candy but its easy for you all to say that it is GOTY when you're experienced with these types of games. Having never played one before I was just wondering if its easy to get into. Will someone new to this type of game find it daunting or not to understand how to play?
Burnzoire you answered my question though so thank you! Seems like it will be my next purchase in this seemingly never ending parade of great games leading up to Xmas!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I have no idea because I don't know you personally and can't say how you would cope with a game like this. Get the demo off Steam and see what you think.

It can be a pretty stressful game though. You're putting out fires all the time.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Fair call Candy! I've seen videos of the game and my younger brother is a massive fan of tbs' so he thinks if I'm ever going to jump in, this is one of the better ones to start at. I'll give it a go!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Done a quick bit of research regarding satellite uplinks as I'm having a bit of grief. Apparently if the first council mission starts on March 5th then you have a good chance of getting one up early but if it doesn't then it can be a struggle.

I'm in the latter. I have one uplink and 4 satellites but can't build another uplink cos I'm 5 engineers short. 5 countries are in either orange or red status and I'm oonly partially through the second month on Classic difficulty.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm wondering if the panic levels rise faster on higher difficulties?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Someone at GAF said they do. Also o. Impossible setting the newbie soldiers only have a max of about a 45% hit rate. Country choice is obviously very important on the hard levels, might restart for a fourth time but will stick with this for a little longer.

What difficulty are you playing on?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm on normal and was thinking about restarting on a harder level until I got pwned by a pair of berzerkers.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Vince wrote:Fair call Candy! I've seen videos of the game and my younger brother is a massive fan of tbs' so he thinks if I'm ever going to jump in, this is one of the better ones to start at. I'll give it a go!
You might be better off trying 7-day EB "Rental". I think the demo removes some important features in it (base-building) so you are not getting the full experience but I'm not sure, only going by what I have heard.

I think this GS now playing vid can be handy if you still don't know if it is your thing. (2hrs long)
Won't be getting this till next week so I have to rely on candy arse and tomby to talk about it. Two of the least trustworthy and biased people who quite possibly pirated their copy. It is devastating.

One thing that might be good for the new guy is that this is easier to get in than the old one. But it is stressed that it doesn't mean 'dumbed down'. Too many companies just want to just cash in on an old name to attract fans but let them down after they sucker them in. (*ahem* EA for eg, candy's fave company)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GameHED wrote:Won't be getting this till next week so I have to rely on candy arse and tomby to talk about it. Two of the least trustworthy and biased people who quite possibly pirated their copy. It is devastating.
Pffft, I buy all my games. Look at my Gamercard you EB rep. PS3 - Last game played + trophies. You can't pirate PS3 games and connect to PSN but thanks for assuming.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

GameHED wrote:Won't be getting this till next week so I have to rely on candy arse and tomby to talk about it. Two of the least trustworthy and biased people who quite possibly pirated their copy. It is devastating.
its an xcom game easier to play on consoles and the like

should be perfect entry point for you and xcom games...just make sure you buy the real old school games off steam since im sure ebgames would not carry them since they only care about selling the newest games at the highest prices

edit..oops forgot youre anti steam..hmmmmm maybe see if you can pick up the old games off gumtree :io:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He's anti-Steam and pro-EB. Makes sense since he's an EB shareholder and store manager.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:He's anti-Steam and pro-EB. Makes sense since he's an EB shareholder and store manager.
No I like steam if you are getting something of value from it. I just find it faster to get the full copy than to download a demo.

What I am is I am mostly anti-online because I believe that owning originals and not relying on a server run by the company that provides the game is as safe as being in total control of the property you pay for, because I think in the future it is a trojan horse.

This is why people are forced to go the piracy route because they feel that in the future there will be no such thing as bricks and mortar retail. Loads of things like bookstores and video rental stores are closing down due to the digital revolution as a result of this over-reliance on downloading which is sad since I am a guy who likes lots of options, not LESS. You don't want to support these convenient services too much or they will turn evil after a while.

You got raped by japanese tentacled monsters as a girl and now you just assume shit and now you are confused and think that liking superior options mean you must hate the inferior option.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vHwY_88 ... re=related[/youtube]

I would like to see rape in tomb raider by savages wandering the jungle and to see lara croft vulnerable and naked and gain her power from being raped by men so she can strong for future games. Rape is good. Rape is a powerup. Girls are powerful after they get raped. Comic with feminist heroines should be the guide for game stories. There you happy now? You got something to talk about in the masons.

Dude keep trying to ban me by pretending that nintendo fans are destroying your PC gaming gang. We are the peaceful ones. You are the trouble making ones destroying informative threads and boasting about playing things in emulators. When your HDD crashes and you didn't back up your account data, and the servers are no longer able to be run anymore you will have lost everything. Stop being stupid and liking inferior future to a superior future. :down: Stop hating shit just because it is not favored by EA, blizard activision, PC platform (X-com is proof that a developer can make a console version just as fun to play on as pc version if the developers carefully consider limits of controllers) you platform-worshipper. Just enjoy the game. Not the platform it is on.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is just as good in low def as it is in high def. You just want to play shit freely and pretend you are a nintendo fan. They threaten you because a monster raped you when you were little and now you got to blame nintendo for it so this is how you get revenge on nintendo by trolling nintendo fans. It's not working. They are happily enjoying low end graphics and cartoony characters in games, and this pisses you off because it reminds you of when you were a kid, the games you were playing at the time, and the embarassing situation. It caused you to hate animal crossing, things with colour, and anything under the control of nintendo.

Look I can help you: just stop assuming that because you can play a game on a PC that it matters to the rest of us. We like sitting on the couch, we like pc games, but we also like it when game developers cater to both controllers. Pc gamers have nothing to fear from us. We just want depth, no dumbing down process, and options. Very rarely do you get this from EA which I think you are a huge fan of because they had dominated the sports sim genre and love to clone shit. (much like how you like to pirate roms)

Oh yeah BTW I will be getting this today. But I won't play it until I finish dishonored. I don't think it will win GOTY, because people do not like turn based games. It doesn't mean the game doesn't deserve it. But only the pc crowd will say it is GOTY while everyone else will say Halo 4 or something deserves GOTY. This is a remake of an old game. Despite that old game being good, it doesn't mean this deserve automatic praise. That would be like giving award for GOTY to every new pokemon that is released.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED please stop peddling your pro-EB posts here. Everyone knows your agenda and it's not working. For the record I bought the game via Steam. Superior PC version and it ensures you and your EB paymasters get none of the $.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Tentacle rape. I guess that is kinda on topic.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I've finished this game (on normal difficulty) and it was as good as the original. I don't think it's better, but it's on par which means it is still a very good game.

My initial concern was the lack of time units, but the two-phase turn offers a lot of tactical possibilities. When you think about it, parts of the original game due to having time units are pretty dumb - for instance, walking around a corner, firing, then walking back a couple of tiles, to complete safety. That's only possible because of the turn-based mechanic of the game. It would never work in a real-time game. So the idea in the new game of forcing you to end your turn at the corner tile, and having you vulnerable, is a more realistic way of dealing with the 'cheesing' that can be done in a turn-based strategy game.

However there are things I miss from the original: bullets that travel slowly across the map, the 'epic' and invincible feeling that came from building a new fighter craft (and in the original there were multiple), picking up weapons/grenades from the field to use immediately, being able to use alien weapons from dead aliens (I don't like the 'weapon fragments' business).

But there are plenty of things I don't miss, too: having to micro-manage ammo, the completely random alien placement which can see you slaughtered just walking out of the landing craft, the overpowered mind control.

Overall I think it's done a very good job of modernising the original.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I suspect I'm not too far from the end and I have to say the game is way, way too easy on normal - especially if you locate your HQ in Africa as you're going to be swimming in straight cash homey soon enough.

Sniper with plasma rifle, Archangel suit and In The Zone = completely dominant.

100% bumping up the difficulty on the next run.

My squat is used as follows -

1 x Heavy
2 x Support
2 x Assault
1 x Sniper
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I don't think the game allows much variety of squad. Unless you're seriously cheesing the game and exploiting the AI, you need one of each class and then an extra support to heal the first support if they get shot. So you really only have the 6th slot to play around with. Personally I choose a second sniper because the Squad Sight perk is too good to not have two of.

Anyway, this made me laugh:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature ... -panic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good evening, my people of Nigeria.

Earlier today, following the tragic incident at the gas station, it has been decided by the houses of congress and by myself that we will no longer be permitting the international meddlers of XCOM into the territory of Nigeria. Political church groups from the USA used to dealing with the XCOM problem have helped us draft this ban legislation and I was proud to sign it.

All exploitative funding is immediately cut to the XCOM NGO so that our money may be better spent equipping our native anti-UFO force, which is tentatively called UFO Force. We have many soldiers and dogs already. So far our scientists have researched a weapon we call "machine gun on the back of a Toyota pickup" which we hope will be very effective.

Some of you may wonder at the reasons why we are leaving the only anti-UFO coalition at a time when more UFOs than ever before are terrorizing Nigeria. Why are tiny, bug-eyed men scuttling in our streets? Why are your neighbors turned into human-shaped piles of grass? God is real, so why does he abandon us? He has not, my friends, but XCOM has.

XCOM ignored our pleas for help because we did not offer them scientists and instead went on UFO vacation to France.

XCOM never bothered to launch a satellite above our nation. We hear excuses, "Oh, sorry President Jonathan, half of our HQ is already satellite uplinks." This is not acceptable.

An entire bridge was destroyed by UFOs in Lagos and XCOM landed a team to rescue a UN official who was standing for hours in the middle of the burning bridge. Thank you for the help with our precious bridge.

Send out entire team of rookie XCOM soldiers to protect our precious gas station from the aliens. The UFO shot down over Mexico will wait. "It was a training mission," is not a good explanation when our gas station is in ruins.

For all of Africa there is only one jet fighter plane from XCOM to stop UFOs. Nobody has even bothered installing a laser beam or anything on it. When a UFO appears they do not even launch the plane.

XCOM immorally promotes homosexuals, attacking the families of Nigeria. Why is their armor so purple and pink and why do they all have 1970s disco mustaches? Who is responsible for this? It is as if their entire organization is some sick joke and it is shameful in the eyes of God.

Do not fear, my fellow citizens. UFO Force is being given a new base in the former gas station missing several walls and partly on fire. I assure you the fire has not spread to the important parts. Upgrades for UFO Force are also in the works, including purchasing a helicopter to be UFO Interceptor-1, as well as several berets, which are an advanced type of armor.

I have also personally reached out to the UFOs themselves. It seems that they are not so bad after all. The one that roars and charges around punching people into bloody pulps is relatable. The majestic transforming disc is a fine sight in the sky. And the purple energy surrounding my head cannot be a bad thing.

I have heard much loose talk of "experiments" on the people, but you cannot be so sure these are UFO experiments and not European drug manufacturers. The UFOs are only curing a different disease with undisclosed human testing and terrorizing of our population.

When you consider HIV, the UFO agenda is really no worse than the First World's agenda.

Thank you and God Bless You.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Very LTTP!
HOW THE HELL DID I OVERLOOK THIS GAME?

Damn! If I had have played this last year, this would have been my GOTY. No question.
Struggled a bit to come to terms with the game structure. My first game on Normal, and the project was cancelled by the third month. Second time through now on normal and doing much, much better, and really enjoying it immensely.

It really is a thinking mans TBS. Every decision matters. Every decision can be critical. You really have to think things through. And you grow attached to your long term soldiers. Being cautious. Sometimes calculated gambles. Sometimes crushing deaths.

I'm playing both this and Fire Emblem at the moment. They are both excellent, but Xcom is the better, for sure.

I'll double down when the iPad version comes aswell.
:up:
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

First Binary Domain, them X-Com. You're welcome.

:t0mby:
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I loved XCOM but the strategic layer is pretty dull and there's not much mission or map variation. Hopefully there's some expansion packs or significant DLC coming because it's not appealing to replay at the moment.
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

Just played through xcom as well. I love it but i find the gameplay too random in classic mode. The aliens are just too cheap with high crit, high chance to hit and it feels like there isnt much you can do to effectively strategise against these mechanics.

Hardly any mission variation so it gets a bit dull but i find i get the most enjoyment out of maintaining my base struggling to keep panic levels down.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

t0mby wrote:First Binary Domain, them X-Com. You're welcome.
:t0mby:
Hehe. Yeah. We've always kindof had similar tastes in games. :D
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Anyone else playing Enemy Within? The new maps are good and the Meld mechanic is pretty awesome if a bit overpowered. Not really enjoying the EXALT missions but I've just finished them.