MD of Sony Australia - "Wii is too expensive"

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Sonic Jam wrote:1: PS2 was a high price, but you can't say it was any less fair than the 360 premium price, the thing was a fricken DVD player when standalone players cost a fair bit still (And the standalone one I had didn't even have component out). Why is the 360 and Dreamcast fair but not the PS2? As far as tech vs price I think all 3 are pretty fair.
PS2 when it came out sucked unspeakable amounts of shit. It was a ripoff. I bought one at launch, and I felt ripped off, badly.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Pointy Cat wrote:
Sonic Jam wrote:1: PS2 was a high price, but you can't say it was any less fair than the 360 premium price, the thing was a fricken DVD player when standalone players cost a fair bit still (And the standalone one I had didn't even have component out). Why is the 360 and Dreamcast fair but not the PS2? As far as tech vs price I think all 3 are pretty fair.
PS2 when it came out sucked unspeakable amounts of shit. It was a ripoff. I bought one at launch, and I felt ripped off, badly.
PS2 wasnt worth it until Timesplitters and MGS2.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

lestat wrote:I'm hearing talk that march 2k7 might turn into May 2k7 for euro ps3 launch. It all hinges on how well production goes over the next few months.
I think it all depends on demand. If demand is high in Japan and the US then yes Europe will go back a few more moths. If it's sluggish in one of the territories, they may launch in Europe to get as many units sold through as they can.

But they still haven't set a firm March date yet so who knows when it will be.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Somewhat relevant, this adds to the worthiness of the Wii launch. A little bit.

Ubisoft has revealed that Wii launch title Red Steel will make use of the remote controller's in-built speaker - particularly when it comes to multiplayer.

As previously announced, the game will feature deathmatch and team deathmatch modes, but there will be no option for online play due to the fact that Nintendo revealed their network plans so late in the development process.

"So we needed a different mode," lead designer Roman Campos-Oriola told Eurogamer.

"At E3, when Nintendo unveiled the speaker on the Wiimote, we thought, 'Okay, with this speaker we can make a really different, specific game mode that you can only have on the Wii.'"

It's titled 'killer' mode and, according to Campos-Oriola, "It's almost like classic deathmatch - you frag people and score points - but each player has a specific objective that gives you bonus points."

Here's the clever bit: you find out what that objective is via your Wii remote. It'll ring like a telephone, and on holding the speaker up to your ear you'll be told what your special task is - without the other players being able to hear.

"If you manage to achieve your objective, you'll get bonus points; if you can't do it, you'll have negative points," Campos-Oriola explained.

"One objective could be, 'Kill player number four and avoid killing any other players.' If you kill any player before killing number four, you'll have negative points.

"So while you are looking for player four the other players might shoot at you, but you can't shoot back at them... It's really interesting and really adds fun to a standard deathmatch."

The speaker will have a role to play in story mode, too; it'll make a clicking sound when you run out of ammo, for example, and will also provide sound effects when you reload. And in the parts of the game where you're using the remote like a sword, the speaker will emit noise if your sword takes damage or if you manage to damage your opponent's weapon.

Red Steel will be in the shops alongside the Wii on December 8 - look out for a full preview soon.
How cool would it have been for something like that in, say, Goldeneye?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_notic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e5&pic=GEN
According to this news the "March 2007" date was just so generic when Sony announced the PAL delay, Ken Kutaragi himself is worried that the hardware manufacturing process isn't fast enough to supply the 3 big markets in March and admitted that "PlayStation 3 could be very well and possibly launch in May 2007 in Europe, but as of today we (Sony) still haven't changed our schedule"
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Lol, would not surprise me at all, they really bit off more than they can chew with the Blu-Ray laser, Microsoft's gamble to use old laser tech really seems to be paying off. The PS3's hardware is barely any better than the 360, it's only being held back by the storage technology... ouch...
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Pat wrote:How cool would it have been for something like that in, say, Goldeneye?
It's a cool idea, I just hope features of the controller like that are well-utilised in the long-term. I remember getting excited about the possibilities of having the VMU screen in a DC controller, and apart from sport games (which I think used it for formation stuff) and RECV, it was fairly neglected. At least with the Wii, every controller has the speaker so there's a much better chance of it being used.

And I entirely agree with Pointy Cat re: the PS2. It was a warm turd in a sock for the first year, there's no denyin'. The DC was a huge leap beyond what was on the market (far moreso than the PS2) and early games like SC and Crazy Taxi more than justified the price tag. Even Sonic Adventure was AAA next to the dogshit that Sony and friends served up initially. The 360, well I'm not going to jump to its defense because I don't think it's worth it at this point, but I can appreciate that other people like what it's got to offer.