Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Project C.A.R.S

Post by t0mby »

Apparently if you disable the hud in the options before you select a race it can improve frames as well. There were comparison screens with an fps counter and with hud it was about 48fps and without 60fps. This was while sitting on the grid.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Project C.A.R.S

Post by flipswitch »

The ghosting in this game ( well on the ps4) is making me nauseous. This is happening every time I play it and I end up quitting .The ghosting is like I'm playing on an LCD from the 90s. So it looks like I'm done with this game unless they somehow add an option to disable it. I tried those settings tomby posted, couldn't tell much of a difference but then again I was about to puke.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

sounds super fun
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

t0mby wrote:Apparently if you disable the hud in the options before you select a race it can improve frames as well. There were comparison screens with an fps counter and with hud it was about 48fps and without 60fps. This was while sitting on the grid.
Makes no difference for me at all.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Sorry, didn't realise it seems to be an AMD problem.

http://www.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=163327084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flipswitch wrote:The ghosting in this game ( well on the ps4) is making me nauseous. This is happening every time I play it and I end up quitting .The ghosting is like I'm playing on an LCD from the 90s. So it looks like I'm done with this game unless they somehow add an option to disable it. I tried those settings tomby posted, couldn't tell much of a difference but then again I was about to puke.
I need to try this on my Bravia in the lounge and see if I get the same because currently on my 27" Samsung LCD monitor I've noticed no ghosting in gameplay but my trophy screenshots the ghosting looks hideous.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

pilonv1 wrote:Absolutely loving this now using some controller settings similar to the ones tomby posted. Can get near 60fps at 1440p with my 970 with FXAA on high and most things on ultra. There's some performance drop at the start of races or when some weather hits but nothing major and is back to near 60 again. I've only raced 4-5 tracks though so there might be some more demanding ones later.
Awesome to hear it runs that well on the 970. Cant wait to get my new PC and see the game in all its glory.
2nd place is the first loser....

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I am completely comfortable with all assists and track map off now. Doesn't mean I'm great at driving but I'm definitely getter better. I was just flying around burgering track and it was really fun ( and challenging) and I almost forgot about the temporal AA.

I did notice a couple bugs, such as no engine sound coming out of the pit, and no grid lights at the start of the race ( so the race never started). I restarted the race and it was fine. You can tell it's a ' budget' title though, it's a bit rough but very playable.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Budget full price title. :/
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:I did notice a couple bugs, such as no engine sound coming out of the pit, and no grid lights at the start of the race ( so the race never started). I restarted the race and it was fine. You can tell it's a ' budget' title though, it's a bit rough but very playable.
Only bug I've had and it's happened maybe about half a dozen times out of 100+ races is no engine sound on the starting grid but like you a quick restart fixes that. Glad the restarts are instant too. :up:

I tried a lap on the 'burg last night, gird of 30 and random weather. Started out as rain then turned all dark and gloomy with heavy rain, was quite epic and didn't experience too much frame drops. THen again, 30 cars weren't all on the screen at the same time so there's that.

Anyway, here's a shitty lap from yours truely on Mt Panorama using the DS4, no assists and manual controls.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sorry, I meant budget as in cost of developing the game Project C.A.R.S.i.c.k. New patch for xb1 will apparently improve peformance by a tick. I wouldn't mind an option to turn off TAA. I think it was mentioned by a dev that if there's demand on the forums they will implement it. Wouldn't hurt really, game is fully customisable in every way and could improve performance. Sometimes it feels like you're playing the game in 3D but without the glasses...

I still haven't touched career mode. Put around 2-3hrs just in testing cars/circuits.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I mustn't know Bathurst ask that well, can't get around the suns positioning... It's in your eyes among the start/finish line, then it's over the back as you reach the top of the mountain, it feels like it should be behind you but it's in your face again.

Looks awesome though, there any V8s in this game?
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

jizzlobber wrote:I mustn't know Bathurst ask that well, can't get around the suns positioning... It's in your eyes among the start/finish line, then it's over the back as you reach the top of the mountain, it feels like it should be behind you but it's in your face again.

Looks awesome though, there any V8s in this game?
Not yet but I've seen somewhere that they're coming.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sound comparison between Project Cars and Gran Turismo 6,

http://youtu.be/TNxXymU0FM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:Sound comparison between Project Cars and Gran Turismo 6,
Didn't need a video to tell us that, lol. The audio in GT has always been poor, very poor, authentic or not.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Increasing the deadzone and reducing the sensitivity on steering and accelerator really makes a huge difference, no longer are the cars twitchy and feel easy to spin out, with tweaks I've gotten the controller feel closer to forza which imo is perfect.

Also I've settled on reducing all details to a max of high setting, the ultra settings seem to smash CPU utilisation which causes frame drops and the increase in quality isn't worth the fps hit, I get pretty solid 60fps all round now. This is where I think dx12 might help if they manage to update it, just seems to be a draw call overhead thing.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

So apparently this game is a Physx title, interesting because there are zero options to turn it off like there are in most games.

This would explain the massive framerate drops in wet weather and poor AMD performance, explains the weird bottlenecks i see when cpu and gpu util are not 100%. Physx can be PCIE bus latency limited, also explains why the consoles struggle too.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:Increasing the deadzone and reducing the sensitivity on steering and accelerator really makes a huge difference, no longer are the cars twitchy and feel easy to spin out, with tweaks I've gotten the controller feel closer to forza which imo is perfect.
That's why I've been posting settings for the controller. Tried a third lot last night and it's perfect now (the ones I used in that vid above).

Finished my first season last night, got a contract offer to 250cc Karts. Be interesting to see how they are compared to 125cc, had a lot of invites to other races. Really love that BMWs so far, sound awesome and handle well too.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Why did SMS decide to base their physics engine on Physx? Gives nvidia hardware a huge advantage and makes console ports much harder since they're all AMD based.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1861353&page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The game runs PhysX version 3.2.4.1. It is a CPU based PhysX. Some features of it can be offloaded onto Nvidia GPUs. Naturally AMD can't do this.

In Project Cars, PhysX is the main component that the game engine is built around. There is no "On / Off" switch as it is integrated into every calculation that the game engine performs. It does 600 calculations per second to create the best feeling of control in the game. The grip of the tires is determined by the amount of tire patch on the road. So it matters if your car is leaning going into a curve as you will have less tire patch on the ground and subsequently spin out. Most of the other racers on the market have much less robust physics engines.
Wow AMD got screwed. :down:

The sort of hit Physx being done in software.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=104 ... tcount=123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 x GTX 980 SLI, 25fps and usage GPU only 40%???
4K, everything ultra
no AA

MY PC
i5 4.8, 16GB RAM, SSD
kacperflak [has Project CARS] 11 hours ago
problem solved
Nividia Panel -> PhysX - > CPU = 25fps 40% GPU
Nividia Panel -> PhysX - > Defult = 60fps 100% GPU
:o
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Real talk - is this the new standard for guys like us who previously loved GT and Forza?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:Real talk - is this the new standard for guys like us who previously loved GT and Forza?
It's a great game that does away with the shitty Pokemon Collect-a-thon and has a great career mode spanning over 10(?) years. Depending on your yearly performance you get offered new contracts to other classes or renewed contracts. You can however choose which class you start in from LPM1, or GT3 or even at the bottom in go karts (which I did).

In terms of tuning, options, customizable features (click and drag the hud to where you want etc), graphical options even on console it beats all other racers hands down. However.... there is a serious lack of explanation for a majority of options which is supposed to be patched it.

Out of the box the game isn't without its problems but they are fixable and as a new IP it's head and shoulders above what Forza 1 and GT has ever been.

Track selection is awesome with some tracks longer than Nerburgring as well as some great classics like Watkins Glen, Brno, Imola, Brands Hatch etc.

TL:DR Yes. Avoid Xbone version, it struggles to run at 30fps in some places.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Candy do you like beta testing? Then this game is for you!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I bought Halo MCC so yes I clearly like beta testing.

tomby I own a ninja PC and a PS4.....avoiding the XBONE version won't be hard :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

ninja pc it, avoid the ghosts of racers past. ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

PS4 is ghetto compared to ninja PC, you know that. XBONE? Just homeless :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat