Game will look even better on this: Laser HD-TV

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Game will look even better on this: Laser HD-TV

Post by Misly »

Who seen this in the news today? I missed it and stumbled upon it online.

"As reported in major news outlets yesterday in Australia (The Age, the Herald Sun), a new television technology has been developed which is touted (by the developers) as far and away superior to both plasma and LCD. From The Age: 'With a worldwide launch date scheduled for Christmas 2007, under recognisable brands like Mitsubishi and Samsung, Novalux chief executive Jean-Michel Pelaprat is so bold as to predict the death of plasma. "If you look at any screen today, the color content is roughly about 30-35 per cent of what the eye can see," he said. "But for the very first time with a laser TV we'll be able to see 90 per cent of what the eye can see. All of a sudden what you see is a lifelike image on display."' The developing company, Arasor International, is said to be listing on the Australian stock exchange shortly."

Stolen from here
More here

:shock: Go buy stocks!

I wonder if Laser HD-TV will look better than SED HD-TV

Edit = After reviewing info, I think SED still is the best HD-TV. Most current HD-TVs are 8 and 10 bit color. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support up to 32bit color. Moving away from CRT to digital displays color depth was lost. SED displays will regain this ability to display finer color.

Wiki colour depth

Old SED news links

SED stuff
More SED stuff (production info+)
SED info movie

I am so excited, I have been waiting for a good thin wall mount HD-TV since I first watched the movie 'Total Recall'. I have never been tempted to buy Plasma or LCD because I have always noticed something visually missing in comparison to CRT's.
:rock:
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

Maybe I should hold off on my TV upgrade.....

But Xmas 07 is so far away.....
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

This is so weird, because it was first reported 8 months ago.

Sounds cool though.
mech

Post by mech »

Edit = After reviewing info, I think SED still is the best HD-TV. Most current HD-TVs are 8 and 10 bit color. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support up to 32bit color. Moving away from CRT to digital displays color depth was lost. SED displays will regain this ability to display finer color.
Woah... HDTVs are not 8 and 10-bit in colour. And SED would likely be 24bit not 32bit, but hey.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

when they refer to 8-10bit, they usually mean per colour channel. So effectively it's 24-30bit rgb colour. A lot of 10bit displays aren't 10bit native in colour reproduction, they're usually 8bit 256grey scale true native colour, the extra colour information is half toned, dithered. I think newer tech lcds now can use a combination of back light intensity changes/LEDs and the lcds normal 256 grayscale to create more colour depth without dithering.

SED since it's using crt based phosphor stimulus, potentially could have native 10bit/1024 grey scale support or even more like 12bit deep colour, i guess the only limit is based on the controller and the how effective the carbon nanotubes are at producing different electron intensity levels.

These laser based tv's are rear projection based from what i hear, which imo has a whole bunch of other picture quality issues to deal with. The colours could be awesome, but rear projection tv's have sharpness, geometry/viewing angle issues which harm the quality of the picture imo.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Where are my cheap arse bubblejet manufactured disposable fold up OLEDs? Stupid blue.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'd say he means per pixel element - 8 bits per Red, Green and Blue dot equals 24bit colour. He's probably getting mixed up with the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray supporting "32bit" colour (just like everything else does these days, mind)...

Vista allegedly supports colour depth of 10 (30) to 16 (48) bits, providing the hardware does too..
mech

Post by mech »

Yeah I figured that's what he meant, but he then compared it to 32bit for SED, and SED is not going to be 96bit colour, there is absolutely no point.

24-bit is still fine for TV.