Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: The retro thread

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The first (major) patch for Quake is out. Long list of bug fixes, main one for me in terms of how it felt is they've fixed the backwards moving speed.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

you are literally the person i would trust to know about such nuances. Ive seen your steam account.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

A more appropriate rug added to help the feel of the room.
FB_IMG_1634933511960.jpg
I'm currently working on a big overhaul of our spare room which was just storage/spare bed...
20211022_183710.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ambrose Burnside

BOOMY wrote: 14 Oct 2021 10:59 pm you are literally the person i would trust to know about such nuances. Ive seen your steam account.
:nana:

BTW love your set up Candy. Best I've seen from Ranchers. I don't really have a dedicated games room like that. Home theatre has a movies theme (framed movie posters on the walls, shelves of DVDs and blu-rays), my study was a bit of a man cave but since having a kid my wife's desk and laptop has moved in too. Makes our two-playeer AoE LANs easier though :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Twiztid Elf wrote: 14 Dec 2020 10:29 am I ordered a Retroid Pocket 2 a while back.
I checked the tracking, and it was delivered on Friday. Damn things been sitting in the mailbox through rainaggedon.
Doubt I'll get much time with it until the weekend, but definitely will be providing impressions.
Kinda wish i'd got the orange one now.

I'm very interested in the Retroid Pocket 2+ that's just come up for pre-order. $99usd for handheld Dreamcast emulation is very tempting.

Then there's the Anbernic RG552 with a 1920x1152 screen, but $230usd.

...or the Ayn Odin, which is even more powerful, for $400aud. But on Indiegogo...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I really do prefer the RGB10MAX for two reasons. The bigger screen and the plug and play nature of it. Less stuffing around and more playing retro games.
The Retroid Pocket 2 is good though still. Just be ready for more tinkering with that though.
If I was buying right now, I'd get the RGB10MAX2.
The Abernic stuff is supposed to be awesome.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I really don't mind messing about with these kinds of devices. I've just put an order in for the Retroid Pocket 2+ since as much as I'd much rather the big screen on the RG552, I really can't justify that price, especially while the firmware looks like it's all over the shop at the moment. Maybe they'll come out with a metal housed one like the RG351MP
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I've just been cleaning out some old hard drives today, and came across this little gem I'd downloaded. I can't remember downloading it or ever installing or playing it, but I've been having some fun with it this afternoon.

PC remake of Wizball.
It can be downloaded here.
http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-links.php?link=wizball
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Lots of other 8-bit remakes on the site.
http://retrospec.sgn.net/index.php
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Hahahaha. Old hard drives are the shit. 2007. :D
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Twiztid Elf wrote: 06 Jan 2022 04:02 pm Lots of other 8-bit remakes on the site.
http://retrospec.sgn.net/index.php
Ooooh a remake of Skooldaze. That was awesome, never did finish it though. I think I may have downloaded that upgrade back in the day but had trouble getting it running.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So the Ayn Odin is real, and it looks... great.
Last edited by unfnknblvbl on 09 Feb 2022 03:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

So this Odin apparently emulates all the usual + saturn, DC, GC AND PS2 at playable speeds. The price difference between this and some of the devices above in this thread make it a different market but its beastly.

Also recent retro acquisitions...

-Super Mario Land 2; i realised i didnt have a copy myself. the last true 2d mario of the golden era.
-Castlevania Bloodlines; i got a pretty scrappy copy but I'm just glad to finally have my hands on it. I have been abstaining from playing it until I got the real thing to motivate me to actually get it.
-Unirally; My boss found a Snes and N64 in hard rubbish and was like 'i know you like this stuff' so ive been trying to build a library of shit that is truly exclusive not even re-released. Got a fucking mint copy for very acceptable price. Pleased. Absolute gem and a total crime it hasn't been remade or copied in some way.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Right? Some PS2 games are running at 40fps with 2x resolution, which I find nuts on a no-name handheld. Especially one that wasn't even designed for PS2 emulation!

And Unirally! For some reason, a lot of people seem to not get it, so there's been no push for a revival. An absolute crime, IMO.
Ambrose Burnside

If anyone has a retail copy of Manhunt, does it work on your Australian Series X console? I'm assuming an Australian retail copy would have the best chance of working, but I'm not sure how common they are.

I understand there's a bit of a process involved in acquiring a digital copy via the US Xbox Store that I just can't be arsed doing, but the Interwebs is vague on whether a retail copy would work on an Australian Series X. It's definitely a BC game.

I've never played it before and I saw a copy for sale, but I don't want to snap it up only for it to not work.

Thanks!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Remember Exhumed? That rather excellent scifi FPS for the Saturn & PSX set in Egypt?

Well it's now been ported to modern PCs by the same guys that did the Quake 25th anniversary.

I played the unofficial version of this a few years ago and it was excellent. This is also excellent, except for some reason they've forgotten to include invert-Y settings for the mouse. That's being fixed in the first patch, at least.
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 10 Feb 2022 11:57 am If anyone has a retail copy of Manhunt, does it work on your Australian Series X console? I'm assuming an Australian retail copy would have the best chance of working, but I'm not sure how common they are.

I understand there's a bit of a process involved in acquiring a digital copy via the US Xbox Store that I just can't be arsed doing, but the Interwebs is vague on whether a retail copy would work on an Australian Series X. It's definitely a BC game.

I've never played it before and I saw a copy for sale, but I don't want to snap it up only for it to not work.

Thanks!
What was the euphemism used here? Canada?

I went to Canada. PC Version. Works well.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, after I ordered the Retroid Pocket 2+ I had to wait 35 days for shipping. Since I ordered on New Year's Day, that takes us to February 4. I figured I'd add a few days in for public holidays. On February 8, I shot through my "yo, where's my shit?" enquiry and got the following response:
GoRetroid wrote:We will start shipping next week and all packages will be shipped in order.

You can check your order status through the following URL, it will show the delivery status for all colors.
URL: https://www.goretroid.com/pages/delivery-dashboard
Cool, cool... except that page has not shown anything at all since. I've just emailed them again to see what's up, but suffice to say I'm not too keen on them so far. I'd be tempted to cancel my order, but I also cancelled my credit card, so I'd never see that money again anyway. May as well see this through, I guess...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Well it arrived today at long last. Kudos to DHL for finally delivering something quickly.

60fps Saturn and Dreamcast in a cheap handheld feels... wrong.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 10 Feb 2022 11:57 am If anyone has a retail copy of Manhunt, does it work on your Australian Series X console? I'm assuming an Australian retail copy would have the best chance of working, but I'm not sure how common they are.

Thanks!
I own Manhunt 2 on PSP and Wii!!!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So the Retroid Pocket 2+ is excellent, but I think I'm going to spring for an Ayn Odin. Why? I'm 42, and it turns out that 640x480 on such a tiny screen is not ideal for my eyes ahahahaha
Trying to read some of the messages that appear is pretty awful without my... sigh... reading glasses :(
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

https://shopmoonlambo.com/collections/home-goods

They also do a controller cushion and a VMU pillow.. plus a bunch of other stuff that'd I'd be very tempted by if it weren't so expensive...
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I'd buy the cushion if the buttons weren't mis-labelled :down:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

For $125 AU I could probably get my own screen printed which actually says Dreamcast. I do like the idea though but had to resist because it has to have the name.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!