Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Re: The retro thread

Post by emptyvessel »

I would be very very interested if he was looking at offloading drive belts, neither my FDS or Twin Famicom have operational disk drives.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Oh I could've been clearer - my friend is a she and she bought it all for me! I was gob-smacked as I'd only sent her on a mission for the drive belts, any disc software (as I had none), and some virtual boy games. She got swept up in the moment. One of my favourite pieces is a shrink wrapped boxed SFC Mario Kart. She also grabbed a Super Famicom with Link to the Past and Mario Collection in their 60Hz full screen glory and stacks of loose carts and a Pc Engine and heaps of Hucards and heaps of FDS floppies including Zelda and Mario Bros 2 (the lost levels). I owe her big time.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

oh and they come in a pack of only 2 belts so that's all she got
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

candy that is awesome, well done. what VB games did you get?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Yoshi - Not a problem. Nice haul btw, I would love to be able to go to Japan purely for retro game trawling. Unfortunately we spent a month last year in South East Asia and we'll be travelling elsewhere in the world before heading back that direction again..

Fortunately I found two awesome retro games shops in Hong Kong and one in Bangkok. Prices weren't all that cheaper compared to what you'd pay on eBay, but I got my hands on Viewpoint for Neo Geo CD and a boxed near mint copy of Street Fighter Zero 2 for Super Famicom. Yet to play either of them due to power supply issues with the consoles though.. :(

Could have bought a truckload more though, god they had some awesome stuff there.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

selfish wrote:candy that is awesome, well done. what VB games did you get?
Just Mario's Tennis for now. The machine itself really is a monstrosity.

:btw: would like to point out that while Jasper is selling Nintendo hardware, I'm buying Nintendo hardware. Fake-fan status confirmed.

As seen here the box has some shelf wear, but I can see having opened it that I am the first person to open it and take everything out of there. It was virgin.

I also picked up a few shrink-wrapped 3DO games, but nothing overly special.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Emptyvessel use a PAL Mega Drive or Master System PSU for your Super Famicom or Famicom or PC-engine consoles to run them on 240 volt.

Never use a PAL NES or SNES adaptor as they output 9v AC and will likely fry your console.

Parts of the haul I was talking about
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

All that gear looks in great great condition too.

Played some Mario's Tennis last night - a one-game sample but the 3D effect shits all over the 3DS.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

If I was thinking about getting a 3DO what version and region should I get?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Any region is fine since it's a region-free console. As for what version it probably comes down to personal preference.

Either Panasonic model will do, but I personally prefer the look of the FZ-1. I own an FZ-1 and use to own an FZ-10, and the FZ-10 feels cheaper by comparison. Even after all these years the FZ-1 still looks beastly.

I would only get the Goldstar model to pad out my collection personally, I've heard about some games not working on it.

If you want some thoughts on 3DO games, the ones I'd be going for first would be -

Star Control 2
Road Rash
Super Wing Commander
Space Hulk
Need for Speed
Return Fire
Killing Time
Wing Commander 3
Samurai Shodown

Madden and FIFA are also really good on 3DO, but only if you like the sports.
emptyvessel

The retro thread

Post by emptyvessel »

Yoshi - yeah, I'm fully across the various power supplies, voltage levels, polarity etc. For the Super Famicom it was an issue of finding the bloody power supply amongst my plastic tubs full of peripherals. Definitely something on the list to sort when I set up this place.

Unfortunately with the Neo Geo CD it uses a power supply with a three prong connector and my original one is busted. Historically they have been know to get dry joints in the power supply pcb so I believe I'll either have to break out the soldering iron (not always a good idea on a power supply) or buy a new one, and they're a bit tricky to find by themselves.
Last edited by emptyvessel on 19 May 2012 07:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

I second Candy's list, and I'd also add that I had a fair bit of fun with the original Gex on 3DO.

In terms of which console to get, the Panasonic FZ-1 is the most common and is the easiest to get a hold of. I also have an Australian-released Goldstar (complete with Aus power plug) and a Sanyo TRY Japanese version.

You'll need to get your hands on an appropriately rated stepdown transformer if you haven't already got one in order to deal with the US power requirements. The Goldstar I have is useful in that respect as it doesn't need one. I think the only reason you'd get a Sanyo is to pad the collection, plus it's the nicest looking version.

I just unpacked all my retro stuff as we needed to offload the packing boxes to a friend, so I temporarily jammed about half my stuff in a cupboard while I think about how to store it. Photo to come of how not to store a retro collection.
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

... aand this is how not to store a retro collection.

I wanted to create some space in the room to look at how I'd set it up so I jammed everything that fit into the cupboard. The rest of my loose consoles, all my loose handhelds and all my loose games are not in the picture there as they're still in bags and plastic cubes on the floor.

By the way, the bow in that shelf already existed, it wasn't caused by a gaming overload.

Needless to say, this is a temporary solution... :redface:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I want some of those 3DO games.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Some classic gear there. That's a semi display - almost too accessible not to fiddle with. Poor Vectrex is doing some work though!
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:Emptyvessel use a PAL Mega Drive or Master System PSU for your Super Famicom or Famicom or PC-engine consoles to run them on 240 volt.

Never use a PAL NES or SNES adaptor as they output 9v AC and will likely fry your console.

Parts of the haul I was talking about
Fuck, I only just noticed the cocktail cabinet barely in that shot. You bastard.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Aha I picked that Taito up from a local squash court circa 2001 for $90 with no key, a busted coin slot and spinning vertical hold i.e. nothing wrong with it. It has Terra Cresta in it, which is perfect for parties. My highest score was 156,000 while entertaining at my 30th in 2003. I've got replacement control panels (those ones were hacked for the 8way joystick and 2nd button for Terra Cresta) and would love to restore it back to its original Space Invaders II - get the legs powder coated, new glass top ( I thought of just flipping it?), new sticks and buttons. But these days the old game boards just turn into sand and whenever you switch them on its fingers crossed.

I've had good success with the 60in1 multi-game boards in my other cabinets as you can configure them for number of sticks and buttons so a two way stick and single button could have Space Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian.. and that's probably it.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Damn dude, that's an awesome score. I'd kill for a decent cocktail but they're all either too expensive or those ones that have those fugly stickers all over them.

I reckon, as much as I'd love to have a 50-billion-in-one game things, I think it'd be cool to just have an original board or two in there and change them manually. Make you have to work for it a little ;)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote: :btw: would like to point out that while Jasper is selling Nintendo hardware, I'm buying Nintendo hardware. Fake-fan status confirmed.
You're buying second hand. You are the problem. [/Jasper]
Yoshi Sonic wrote:would love to restore it - new glass top
Don't forget to slide some 1c, 2c and 5c coins under the glass for old school pub authenticity. :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just scooped 18 3DO games + a 3DO controller for $125 on Ebay. Local pickup. I am the winner.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Ahh you got one with a box! Super jealous. A word of advice: store it upside down, heat can do strange things to the cables inside, but hopefully it won't matter so much if it's upside down.

Get a copy of red alarm. Or red alert. Whatever it's called. The only game to do actual 3d, well worth playing, plus the music is awesome.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Upside down? Currently I've got it on the stand on a cabinet.

re: 3DO haul there's a backstory here and I'm going to share it -

I noticed all these 3DO games from the same seller on Ebay earlier in the week. I sent them a message offering to buy them all as a package for $250 not inc postage. They declined and wanted to take their chances on auction.

Well surprise surprise, it appears not many people have the sort of boner for the 3DO that I do.

Super Wing Commander
Samurai Shodown
Mad Dog McCree with gun
Killing Time
Escape from Monster Manor
Alone in The Dark
some space shuttle sim
Flying Nightmares
Gex
PGA 96
Johnny Bazookatone
Quarantine
Rise of The Robots
Space Hulk
Starblade
Stellar 7
Daedalus Encounter

Add to that shrink wrapped copies of Return Fire and Maps o Death from last week and my 3DO collection is beefed up.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Thinking of putting my entire DC collection up for auction. 2 Dreamcasts, arcade stick, assorted VMUs (1 boxed), lightgun and 70+ original PAL games (amongst them Shenmue 2, SOA, both Powerstones, both MvCs). They aren't getting any love at the moment, would like to see them go to a good home.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

I'd probably be interested as my DC collection isn't that great.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Hello there.