Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: The retro thread

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:Upside down? Currently I've got it on the stand on a cabinet.

re: 3DO haul there's a backstory here and I'm going to share it -

I noticed all these 3DO games from the same seller on Ebay earlier in the week. I sent them a message offering to buy them all as a package for $250 not inc postage. They declined and wanted to take their chances on auction.

Well surprise surprise, it appears not many people have the sort of boner for the 3DO that I do.
Once the stuff turns up you should send him a thank you email and say he should've taken your offer of $250 when you made it. :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It gets even better. Turns out the seller lives literally in the suburb next to me, so I'm going around to pick the games up personally and be a real smug cunt. :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Ahahahahaa, awesome. Bonus points for recording it anonymously. :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Candy Arse wrote:Just scooped 18 3DO games + a 3DO controller for $125 on Ebay. Local pickup. I am the winner.
Fucking hell. $125 is fucking ridiculous for that gear.

Bastard.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just picked them up, gave him an extra 60c and said to keep the change. 3DO collection just got buffed.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Was he a ginga too? :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

No but I wish he was.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

All this talk of 3DO prompted me to pull my Goldstar down and plug it into power. Whaddaya know it powered up and the tray opened with Samurai Showdown still inside! So I unplugged it and rushed it over to the Tv. Now it doesn't work... Where did I put that skinny screwdriver?!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yoshi take a pic of your retro collection dude. I need some spank bank material.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Ok but it's not much to look at atm. I've just built a shed to house it so it's all just dumped in there for now. It's a long term project anyway!

For reference, the wall top plate is 2.7m high and behind what you can see are more storage boxes and containers full.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

the VHS boxes have boxed MSX micros innem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

The blue lowboy is a Neo Geo 2 slot but has developed VRAM issues so I'm thinking a horizontal multi board cause all I want is Robotron 2084 anyway. Or throw in an extra two buttons each side and MAME it as a fighting cab.

The black lowboy and the two tables have vertical multi boards. I made the two cocktails myself around 2004.

Lots of micros under there about ~50 or so. I'd really like to mount them in a 5x10 or a 6x8 grid on the wall with a ZX81 in the top left and an Amiga 500 in the bottom right and grade the sizes diagonally across the wall
Last edited by Yoshi Sonic on 26 May 2012 05:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

This is the retro thread so in it goes. I found out today they've re-published the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. I used to love them as a kid :lol:

I just bought a bunch of them on Book Depository :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

The retro thread

Post by emptyvessel »

Oh my god, a gx4000. In the early 90's a gaming magazine I read (forget the name now) used to give one of those away every month to the worst letter published. Since then I've been morbidly curious but haven't managed to get my hands on one.

Mech is kindly selling me the new centrepiece of my retro gaming setup (a big tv unit with 8 shelf spaces for consoles). Once I have that, a DVD bookshelf is going on top for boxed games, and I'll need to buy a whole heap of cord extenders so everything can be hooked up at once.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:The blue lowboy is a Neo Geo 2 slot but has developed VRAM issues so I'm thinking a horizontal multi board cause all I want is Robotron 2084 anyway. Or throw in an extra two buttons each side and MAME it as a fighting cab.

The black lowboy and the two tables have vertical multi boards. I made the two cocktails myself around 2004.

Lots of micros under there about ~50 or so. I'd really like to mount them in a 5x10 or a 6x8 grid on the wall with a ZX81 in the top left and an Amiga 500 in the bottom right and grade the sizes diagonally across the wall
Man, so jelly. Do you find a lowboy suffices for home arcading or do you get tired of having to look further down/having a smaller screen after a while?
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

The blue lowboy has a 68cm horizontal screen so no problems with size there. The black one and the tables all have 20" screens and that's also plenty good enough. My original Taito cocktail only has a 14" screen and it's sweet. You're only dealing with 15kHz resolutions anyway i.e. 320x200 max so big screens don't help much. Retro!

Ergonomically, a bar stool does the trick for extended gaming sessions but I mostly just fire them up for parties and bbq's theses days anyway. That could change if I get Robotron 2084 set up though!
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I really like the GX4000 - one of my rarer pieces I think, though generally unloved by gamers at the time. Wish I had more cartridges for it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

emptyvessel wrote:Oh my god, a gx4000. In the early 90's a gaming magazine I read (forget the name now) used to give one of those away every month to the worst letter published. Since then I've been morbidly curious but haven't managed to get my hands on one.
So everyone tried their best to write a good letter then?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Stumbled across this on Facebook. Love the cabinet. Wonder what sort of AV connection set up they have.
Cardsy

Re: Top retro gaming sites?

Post by Cardsy »

Candy Arse wrote:Just saw this on Facebook -

I want to know how that is all wired at the back. Absolutely love it.
WTF is going on in this thread? :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I sent it to Candy. Props to me.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So there's supposed to be a video where the guy behind that takes you through the setup. We really need to find it.

Also as a sign of how my life is clearly coming to an end, I stayed up last night playing Rise of The Robots on 3DO. WTF is wrong with me.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

64 bit glory.

Where is that guy's (assuming it's a guy, yeah no it has to be a guy) 360? Does he sleep with it?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think the more glaring omission is the Wii. This is clearly a retro collection and he's missing the most easily-obtained retro console out there.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Mate recently bought a new cocktail cabinet. He grabbed the last one that had a CRT screen. It's got 3 sets of controls on it, 2 on your normal cocktail setup and one on the side for your side scrolling/horizontal games. Switching screen position is down by pushing one of the buttons. He pissed off the PC that came with it and replaced it with a better one and installed all mame roms on it. He also pulled out the shitty speakers and replaced them with some kickass ones out of one of his boom boxes( he also has a ridiculous 80s boom box collection) and it now sounds fucken amazing. To top it off he installed a scan line generator to get that real arcade feel.
Love getting on it and playing Xeena sleena, Pacland, Bomb Jack, Aliens, Rygar, Galaga, 1942, LifeForce, Alien vs Predator and Track and Field where we have spent hours beating each others scores, but now we ate at the point we can no longer beat the current Records.